Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Hoover
United States
Edwards AFB
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, i own the game and have not played it yet. My friend bought it for me for my birthday and i know have 2 copies of the base game. Is there any benefit to owning 2 copies of the base game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not for the campaign game, but if you play skirmish you'll probably find good use for another copy. (There are some deployment groups that you would want to keep and sell what you don't need.)

If you paint minis, you could have alternate paint schemes for wounded heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Sieber
United States
McMinnville
Oregon
flag msg tools
I'm looking forward to having some real talk with some real folks!
badge
Hi, I'm Matt, A radar technician.
mbmbmbmbmb
DHoov wrote:
Hello, i own the game and have not played it yet. My friend bought it for me for my birthday and i know have 2 copies of the base game. Is there any benefit to owning 2 copies of the base game?

If you are going to play skirmish style games. You are limited to the type of units you can build your squad with.

For example if you want to bring 4 grey storm troopers with your build, you would need to have the stormtrooper expansion or another copy of the game.

Same with some of the allies for the rebels.

Other than that, spare parts and tokens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you play the skirmish games then yes, it helps to have an extra set for some combinations of troops.

For the campaign game there is no benefit whatsoever as there is a limit on nr of figures that can appear in a mission, 1 of each core/ally/villain pack/expansion suffices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teth Adam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There was when the game first came out and if you were playing skirmish competitively - you'd want 4 sets of royal guards and 4 officers. These days though, the only benefit is if you lose or damage a piece - you've got backup.

I'd look to sell the dupe copy online or give it away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
For the campaign game there is no benefit whatsoever as there is a limit on nr of figures that can appear in a mission, 1 of each core/ally/villain pack/expansion suffices.

You can use use both deployment cards of the Hired Guns and ISB Infiltrators packs, i.e. two packs worth of figures.

Also, the General Weiss pack does not set a restriction, so theoretically you could use more than one AT-ST and General Weiss in the same mission. It would not be practical, but it would be allowed if you can save enough threat and get General Weiss as a reserved deployment.

Practically though, one of each expansion is fine for the campaign. (Minus the Stormtroopers pack. Buying it doesn't allow you to have more than 3 groups - one elite and two regulars - in the campaign.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are into the painting and modelling aspect, then you could use the extra models to make distinctive models for several of those represented by tokens, so you don't have to buy those figure packs to have a model for them.

And the extra dice are always nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
I mean, if you already owned the game and haven't played it yet, I don't know how much mileage a second copy will get you...

As others have said, some of the components (particularly minis, deployment cards, command cards) would be useful if you wanted to get competitive in skirmish. Not sure how useful they'd be otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Cannone
Italy
Cerignola
Foggia
flag msg tools
Oh yeah!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get some friends to play skirmish, borrow them some cards to increase the interest in the game and then...enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really. Try skirmish first. If you don't feel a need for more pieces, sell or trade it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.