Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dimitri Gia
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I was currently going through my inventory and saw something odd : there are some games that are marked as being "In Collection" and I can't figure out why... The "own" or "wishlist" options aren't marked (otherwise, it would state "In Collection (Own)" eg) and when I go to "view in my collections" from the game-collection entry, I see that it was "added" 10 years ago?

Besides the fact and the realization that 10 years have flown by, why that "in collection" ?

thanks,
/dimi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you rated them, or added a comment, or something like that? Things that you interact with will show up in your collection. They also might still show up in your collection if you once marked them as Want in Trade (or Wishlist) and then changed the status, but didn't actually remove them from your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your BGG "collection" is a shorthand for "games associated to/with you in the BGG database".

In my collection they include both the games I own, and games I have access to and play and have rated or commented, and games I have played at sometime in the past and logged a play, or games I expect to arrive into my physical collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Gia
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@indigopotter : thanks for your help! Haven't rated them or left a comment for any of them and I even checked if there was a bogus character like a " " in the comment - making them appear as them being in my collection.
But yeah, I think the second part might be it : they once were in my wishlist and I removed them. That is the most logical explanation So thanks!
Now... On to a new quest : how to dig up all these "in collection" games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Gia
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@a1bert : I had a different "idea" for the word collection but that was my error ;-) So yeah, BGG's idea of a collection is more abstract but I consider it a lesson learned
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wish they'd call it something else. Collection only makes sense from the perspective of someone maintaining a database. From a user perspective "Collection" holds a connotation that is confusing. It wouldn't be that hard to change either. Here's a simple alternative that I think would be less confusing.

Add to Collection --> Update Game Status
In Collection (Own) --> Game Status (Own)
View in my collections --> See Game Status
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Your BGG "collection" is a shorthand for "games associated to/with you in the BGG database".

In my collection they include both the games I own, and games I have access to and play and have rated or commented, and games I have played at sometime in the past and logged a play, or games I expect to arrive into my physical collection.

It really isn't "games associated to/with you in the BGG database" but rather "data on games which is associated to/with you in the BGG database". The data can be that the game is on your wishlist, a comment on the game, or that you don't want to buy that particular game. So any specific data that you enter about a particular game (except plays...) gets the game added to your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
Thunkd wrote:
Add to Collection --> Update Game Status
In Collection (Own) --> Game Status (Own)
View in my collections --> See Game Status

I'm quite convinced that you'll get complaints that these links don't take you to where you can change things about the game itself, so author, family, etcetera. I really don't know if there is a good word for it which is not immediately IT jargon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
echdareez wrote:
Now... On to a new quest : how to dig up all these "in collection" games

Go to your collection.
Set all filters to "no", and apply.
Here's your list

If you include "commands" in your list of columns, you can them now remove one by one by clicking on the red X on the right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Gia
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys for the replies! I wholeheartedly agree with Bryan's remark, that the word "collection" is confusing. Eg : in my case, a "collection" is something that's physically present or present in an abstract way : wishlists and loans and such are part of a collection and are the abstract part of it. Keeping track of which boardgames / movies / books / poststamps / ... you have are the physical part. Again : my personal interpretation of the word collection

And danke Werner fur die Hilfe I'll try it out right after this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.