$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
28.9% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In looking at CrystalCaste, it looks like we could get them for about 3.60 apiece if we order around 100, and the price drops to 3.00 each for 200. I'm figuring if FFP get around to this, a pack of 4 will probably be 10ish so, we're relatively close.

I'm going to assume everyone is interested so let's get moving.

Iff people are interested:

First things first, the peril dice don't look very perilous, we'd need a better design. I'm looking around for free assets, and may just ask a graphically inclined friend to do up some concept art. We'd probably want to do a poll for the design.

Secondly, it is a bit of money. I think I would prefer to start with the 100 to reduce risk, if people help me out, I/We could take the "risk" of 200.

Discuss...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Curtis
United States
Prospect Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at Chessex -

http://www.chessex.com/Dice/Custom_Dice_Home.htm

They allow smaller batches (at greater cost of course)

10-25 dice: $1.00 per side
26-99 dice: $0.75 per side
100-199 dice: $0.60 per side
200-499 dice: $0.50 per side
500-999 dice: $0.42 per side
1000+: please ask for quotes

• These prices are for the 16mm six-sided dice and include the die itself.
• All orders must be accompanied with a credit card.
• Shipping costs are added to all orders with a $5.95 minimum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's pretty close to CrystalCaste(close enough as counts). So definitely an option. Just need enough people interested to make an order. The way I figure it, if most folks are into it, they'll want on average 4 apiece. So we just need 25 of us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How will shipping be handled? Are you planning on having them shipped to you and then you send them to everyone? Is there an additional charge for shipping? Im interested, but want more details before I commit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jurney85 wrote:
How will shipping be handled? Are you planning on having them shipped to you and then you send them to everyone? Is there an additional charge for shipping? Im interested, but want more details before I commit.

The shipping minimum on the website for Chesex is 5.95 minimum. I'm assuming that this isn't exorbitant, and the shipping cost to me would just be spread out over each person who wants some. Then I ship out to everyone for the cost of the dice, a fraction of the cost to ship from Chessex, and the cost of my shipping.

In theory:
120 dice at 3.60 each
Shipping from Chessex costs $20
30 people ordering 4 each 14.40/person
My shipping cost to each person 2.00 maybe?

So your cost is 14.40 + ship to you 2.00 + shipping from chessex .65 = lets call it 17.00 even as an initial estimate. People have done this on other game forums like Twilight Struggle and I'm sure many others.

The hard part will be settling on a design, which I think could be done through 2 polls, one to narrow the type of design(blood splatter, whatever) to maybe 2 or 3, and then the second poll to vet a few versions of the deigns.

I hail from New England so Colts fans might have to pay a bit more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
njep wrote:
jurney85 wrote:

The shipping minimum on the website for Chesex is 5.95 minimum. I'm assuming that this isn't exorbitant, and the shipping cost to me would just be spread out over each person who wants some. Then I ship out to everyone for the cost of the dice, a fraction of the cost to ship from Chessex, and the cost of my shipping.

In theory:
120 dice at 3.60 each
Shipping from Chessex costs $20
30 people ordering 4 each 14.40/person
My shipping cost to each person 2.00 maybe?

So your cost is 14.40 + ship to you 2.00 + shipping from chessex .65 = lets call it 17.00 even as an initial estimate. People have done this on other game forums like Twilight Struggle and I'm sure many others.

The hard part will be settling on a design, which I think could be done through 2 polls, one to narrow the type of design(blood splatter, whatever) to maybe 2 or 3, and then the second poll to vet a few versions of the deigns.

I hail from New England so Colts fans might have to pay a bit more.

Initial estimates sound good to me.

PATRIOTS!!!! angry

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Laman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Could you make a D3 as well?
All that complex-math™ makes my head spin in the middle of a game. LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just use the peril die
2,6 is 1
4's are 2
3's are 4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I dun goofed.
badge
I dun goofed.
mbmbmbmbmb
njep wrote:
4's are 2
3's are 4

Now that's just even more confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
njep wrote:
Just use the peril die
2,6 is 1
4's are 2
3's are 4

LOL yuk

I'm definitely interested in custom dice for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So what is going to represent peril? I was thinking of a ring of spikes pointing inward as a border to the numbers. The obvious blood splatter is another where maybe the shape of the splatter is the number. But I'm stuck for ideas right now.

Or something like this image

It would have to be printed, and not engraved. Although CrystalCaste does theirs with laser etching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Haddon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ScooterNH wrote:

Lol. Chessex sells blank dice (I think many die makers do), so you can just get some blank d6 dice and write 1,1,2,2,3,3 on them. I got blank d8s for extra MoM dice and used a permanent marker.

Anyway, I love dice. I'd be interested in some fancy perils. It might be worth contacting some KS creators that have done custom dice projects and see what they can offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Keetlaer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friedmutant wrote:
ScooterNH wrote:

Lol. Chessex sells blank dice (I think many die makers do), so you can just get some blank d6 dice and write 1,1,2,2,3,3 on them. I got blank d8s for extra MoM dice and used a permanent marker.

Anyway, I love dice. I'd be interested in some fancy perils. It might be worth contacting some KS creators that have done custom dice projects and see what they can offer.

At Spiel in Essen I bought myself 3 D3 and 3 D5 (black), I believe at the booth of Koplow Games. They are regular D6/D10 but with a different distribution of numbers on them. Easy!

For some other things I might use blank dice and a permanent marker to make custom dice with really different number distributions (yes, also SoB related).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pulis
United States
Greenfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are some Good D3's here:

https://www.thediceshoponline.com/dice/5044/D-G-Pearl-White-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Laman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am so sorry for making this topic stray with all the D3 talk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ScooterNH wrote:
I am so sorry for making this topic stray with all the D3 talk.

I know right, everybody is so easily distracted.

Let's stay on target people!

C'mon I wanna order a bunch of dice, but I need about 25 people to be interested to make it worth it. We also need a really cool design idea. Unless you all don't want more/better peril dice. In which case, I hope you all enjoy re-rolling the same two dice over and over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested based on the design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Laman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
njep wrote:
So what is going to represent peril? ...another where maybe the shape of the splatter is the number.

Hmmmm... That might be an interesting approach. I wonder if "tentacles" maybe could be used bent and undulating for the shapes of the numbers.

(very) roughly akin to this

Or maybe 3 4 5 or 6 tentacles instead of dice pips (is that what the spots on dice are called?)

Just tossing an idea or two out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
ScooterNH wrote:
(is that what the spots on dice are called?)

Yup.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dice
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pip_(counting)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
whiskemuscles wrote:
I'd be interested based on the design.

I'm hoping that we can throw a few ideas out there in a poll and get the best fit for people who would want in on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I dun goofed.
badge
I dun goofed.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can look at some existing C'thulhu dice for inspiration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For the cheapskates laugh there's also Averaging Dice (2 3 3 4 4 5). Just replace the 2 with a 6.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_26?url=search-alia...

And the d3's: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.