1 , 2  Next »   | 

Great Western Trail» Forums » General

Subject: Scores and play times?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Graham Murphy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first four-player game last night with three new players. Very much enjoyed by all, but we went very long (4.5 hours after rules....eeeep!).

Final scores were between 37 and 77 (one score in the fifties and one in the sixties). I won....hurray!

Just wondered what scores others are racking up and how quick/slow are you to do it?

Looking forward to a nice fast 3 hour game the next time :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played yet, but that seems MUCH LONGER than most reports I've heard/read from others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg O.
France
flag msg tools
designer
my first game yesterday at 3 new players lasted 3 hours.
The score was something like 108-103-97
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played for the first time yesterday with 3 other novices. After the rules explanation, the first few turns were fairly slow as we got our heads around the moving parts but then the game started to rattle along at a fair old rate. In the end we probably took 2hr 45min and that included a couple of breaks so that one guy could smoke or operate the till in the shop we were playing at.

Our score range was 104, 91, 87, 51. Very much looking forward to trying different strategy and set up in another game, which I would imagine would be closer to 2 hours 15min long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Six plays here, all with four players.

Our first game was very long and slow but after that games went very quickly, barely over two hours. GWT benefits from having micro-turns where your options in a given turn are relatively few, and where the board state doesn't change so much between turns so you can think on other players' turns.

I think winning scores in this game can vary quite a bit based on the random setup (buildings in play, location of neutral buildings, etc.)

The highest score we've seen so far is 127, but other games the winning score has been in the 80s. Like I said, I think this has to do more with the circumstances of the game than player skill; some games will be higher scoring than others, not unlike Mombasa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, 4.5h is very long. My games so far have been significantly shorter. Even games with new players tended to feel fast after about three deliveries to KC per player or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Blackburn
United Kingdom
Helston
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
played once, three players
tied for 1st with 58 third place was 41.
game took around 2.5 to 3 hours but I didn't check time we started nor time we finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik H
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Our first game with three players took 5.5 hours including explanation (setup time not included).

Final scores were 115 - 84 - 76.

I was one till two full roundtrips behind the other players but managed to win in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lequien emmanuel
France
saint germain les arpajon
none
flag msg tools
mbmb
First ^play with 3 other new players took 4 hours.

Score 109-98-71-37

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
マルコ
Germany
Bornheim
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a 4 player game yesterday, everyone had played at least one time before (so, no rule explanation necessary). Took us 2.5 hours, scores 97-81-74-64.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik H
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Second time, four players: 4.5 hours. Scores 90-82-78-65

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastien Maire
France
St Jean de Moirans
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 games so far with 2p.
First one took 2h15 without explanations, second one 1h40. I expect next games to last 1h30-1h45 with 2p.

Concerning scores, it went from 70 to 124. But in a 2p game I guess it is easier to score higher than in a 3p or 4p game (thanks to the building 1a).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Lindrupsen
Norway
Fredrikstad
Østfold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played this one time so far, with three players. All new to the game, and it took 2,5 hours. I really can't see how it would be possible to play this in 4+ hours with three players if you are not all having serious AP. This is no meant as critique, I am just wondering how you played the game. For me, the game feels like it has short turns and that the game flows pretty quick!
Just got my copy yesterday, so I am looking forward to play it again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from serious AP for each move, the "best" way to force a game of GWT into overtime would be if all/most players take very small steps in most of their moves, since the game end depends on the number of deliveries to KC. A 2p game ends after about 11 deliveries to KC, a 4p game requires about twice as much. By design each player has about 5-6 deliveries in a game. A 4p game is guaranteed to meet the end condition after 23 deliveries (5 deliveries with one worker added to the Job Market + 18 deliveries with 2 workers).

If players use all/most neutral buildings on each trip to KC, and potentially some of their own buildings too (once they built them), then it may take 7-10 turns for each player to make just one delivery to KC. So in a 4p game with this type of play style, the game will take about 40-50 turns, or potentially more than 200 player moves. With one minute per player move (for thinking and execution), the game already takes almost 3.5h. Now add in players who only start to think about their next move when it's due and 4+ hours seem doable.

Fortunately, the slow play style is far from optimal when it comes to scoring well, and GWT is one of those games which honors planning while others still move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Vos
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last saturday I played my first game of GWT:
3 players, none had played before, took about 3 hours (excluding explanation, but including looking up some things in the rules during the game).
Scores were 121 - 69 - 50

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastian Lara

Germany
msg tools
mb
Our first 2-player-game took around 2,5 h ending with 107:73 points. Second game run much quicker, just about 60 minutes ending with 80:45. The first play was somewhat of a test round and we moved in small steps to Kansas City. In the second time I chose a real race with fast deliveries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raj Giri
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a second 2-player game today with a friend, took total about 90 minutes including set up; actual game was at most 75 minutes, I'd say. Score was something like 70-50, in part because we're both still new and in part because hiring people was difficult given the building placement.

GWT is really great, I can't wait to own my own copy and figure it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dvonn Yinsh
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
4 first time players: Game #1 after explanation: 3 hours. Score 95,86,81,75.

Same 4 players: Game #2: 2 hours. Score 93,78,59,56.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 new players. 2-2.25 hrs (baby woke up in middle of game so not entirely sure how long it took). Scores: 126-124.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite a contrast woith our first 2p game yesterday: 80-60

I'm confident we played by the right rules. I assume scores will be higher in the next games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our 2nd play was only 94-83.

In our first play we maximized the value on our station tiles, had very good herds due to a lot of cowboys, and overall moved in small amounts instead of large strides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Hedberg
Canada
Terrace
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where are you guys getting all these points from? The winning score in every game I've played so far has been 80 or less... What are we doing wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best I can do from memory:

4 from money
10ish from buildings
30 from city deliveries (2 deliveries to San Fran)
5ish from stations
13ish from hazards
21ish from cows
17 from objectives
15 from Station master tiles
0 from workers
3 from movement upgrade
2 from end game token

This is approximate, but this comes out to 120.

Edit: this was with beginner setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
albynomonk wrote:
Where are you guys getting all these points from? The winning score in every game I've played so far has been 80 or less... What are we doing wrong?

Nothing! If every player does tiny steps, taking as many actions as possible per KC cycle, everybody will make far more points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last game (our 3th) we did setup, play and cleanup in under 2 hours. This included like 2 or 3 breaks of a few min.
Our scores are mostly around the 80's mark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.