Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me see if I understand how some of these things work.

Michigan Central and Ohio & Indiana

If the owning player lays both tiles in its reserved hexes, then these tiles must connect to each other.

E Does this mean, if I own the private company, not a corporation, I am allowed to lay track in these reserved spaces, with the restriction that they must connect? (also following all the other restrictions of a player laying track tiles as described in Section 6.4)

Other corporations may not lay tiles in these hexes until these companies have been bought by a corporation or removed.

E Does this mean that if I sell the private company to a corporation that I currently am the president of, and I don't take advantage of the special ability fairly soon, I run the risk of someone else building track on the two reserved locations?

E Also, in this case, if I do use the special ability, am I still under the restriction that they must connect?

Chicago and Western Indiana:

This company's ability may not be used if its owning corporation already has a token in Chicago.

E This I understand.

No token may be placed in the C&WI's spot until the C&WI is either purchased or removed.

E Does this mean if I sell this to a corporation I am currently president of, and I don't place a token of that corporation in Chicago fairly soon, I might lose the ability because other players might fill up Chicago? Basically once a corporation owns this private company, the reserve status of the spot is removed, but the owning corporation could still put a token there assuming the space was still available?

Meat Packing Company and the Steamboat Company

After being purchased the corporation owning each of these companies may place -- or shift with the Steamboat Company -- a marker among the listed locations, adding its value to the corporation's routes that count this location. Use the second marker for the corporation after removing the company in phase III (before these markers are removed in phase IV).

E The reason there are two markers is that one of them is used to track which company is getting the bonus, correct?

Before the Steamboat Company is purchased by a corporation, its owner can assign its marker during the private income step to a corporation or Independent Railroad, using its second marker to indicate this. Remove both markers once it is purchased.

NOTES: The Steamboat marker for the board has two sides: one side shows the $40 value for when it is placed in Holland or Wheeling. In the round in which it is purchased, two corporations could each benefit from the Steamboat Company's marker.

E Specifically, the last sentence of the "NOTES" section is telling me I could assign the marker to a corporation during the operating round of a corporation running, then later in the same round, sell the Steamboat Company to another corporation to allow it to receive the bonus as well, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Anastasia
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Murr wrote:

If the owning player lays both tiles in its reserved hexes, then these tiles must connect to each other.

E Does this mean, if I own the private company, not a corporation, I am allowed to lay track in these reserved spaces, with the restriction that they must connect? (also following all the other restrictions of a player laying track tiles as described in Section 6.4)
Nope. Per 3.1, and repeated on page 12, the private company powers may not be used until owned by a corporation. As noted near 3.1, The Steamboat company has a specific exception to this rule. Your quote should probably say "owning corporation" or "operating player" rather than "owning player".
Murr wrote:
Other corporations may not lay tiles in these hexes until these companies have been bought by a corporation or removed.

E Does this mean that if I sell the private company to a corporation that I currently am the president of, and I don't take advantage of the special ability fairly soon, I run the risk of someone else building track on the two reserved locations?
Exactly correct. You probably want to use the ability immediately after the purchase 99% of the time anyway.
Murr wrote:
E Also, in this case, if I do use the special ability, am I still under the restriction that they must connect?
That restriction always applies.
Murr wrote:
Chicago and Western Indiana:No token may be placed in the C&WI's spot until the C&WI is either purchased or removed.

E Does this mean if I sell this to a corporation I am currently president of, and I don't place a token of that corporation in Chicago fairly soon, I might lose the ability because other players might fill up Chicago? Basically once a corporation owns this private company, the reserve status of the spot is removed, but the owning corporation could still put a token there assuming the space was still available?
Correct. Again, you probably want to use this ability immediately after the purchase.
Murr wrote:

After being purchased the corporation owning each of these companies may place -- or shift with the Steamboat Company -- a marker among the listed locations, adding its value to the corporation's routes that count this location. Use the second marker for the corporation after removing the company in phase III (before these markers are removed in phase IV).

E The reason there are two markers is that one of them is used to track which company is getting the bonus, correct?
Yes.
Murr wrote:
Before the Steamboat Company is purchased by a corporation, its owner can assign its marker during the private income step to a corporation or Independent Railroad, using its second marker to indicate this. Remove both markers once it is purchased.

NOTES: The Steamboat marker for the board has two sides: one side shows the $40 value for when it is placed in Holland or Wheeling. In the round in which it is purchased, two corporations could each benefit from the Steamboat Company's marker.

E Specifically, the last sentence of the "NOTES" section is telling me I could assign the marker to a corporation during the operating round of a corporation running, then later in the same round, sell the Steamboat Company to another corporation to allow it to receive the bonus as well, correct?
Also correct.EDIT: Apparently I was close to correct. The player can do the assignment during the private income step, not during the operating turn of the first company. The result is very similar. See Tom's post below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Murr wrote:

rules wrote:

Does this mean, if I own the private company, not a corporation, I am allowed [...]

No. The owning player can't use Private Company abilities, with the exception of the Steamboat company. See 3.1 and 6.93. I agree that this sentence should say "corporation", not "player" (as it does say in the Exceptions following 6.47).

Quote:
rules wrote:

Does this mean that if I sell the private company to a corporation that I currently am the president of, and I don't take advantage of the special ability fairly soon, I run the risk of someone else building track on the two reserved locations?

Yes.

Quote:
Also, in this case, if I do use the special ability, am I still under the restriction that they must connect [to each other]?

Yes, see 6.47.

Quote:
Chicago and Western Indiana:

rules wrote:
No token may be placed in the C&WI's spot until the C&WI is either purchased or removed.

Does this mean if I sell this to a corporation I am currently president of, and I don't place a token of that corporation in Chicago fairly soon, I might lose the ability because other players might fill up Chicago?

Yes.

Quote:
Basically once a corporation owns this private company, the reserve status of the spot is removed, but the owning corporation could still put a token there assuming the space was still available?

Yes.

Quote:
The reason there are two markers is that one of them is used to track which company is getting the bonus?

Yes.

Quote:
rules wrote:
Before the Steamboat Company is purchased by a corporation, its owner can assign its marker *during the private income step* to a corporation or Independent Railroad, using its second marker to indicate this. Remove both markers once it is purchased. (emphasis added)

Is the last sentence [...] telling me I could assign the marker to a corporation during the operating round of a corporation running [...]?

No. Any assignment by a player takes place during the private income step (as stated in the emphasized text).

Quote:
[...] then later in the same round, sell the Steamboat Company to another corporation to allow it to receive the bonus as well?

Correct.

Typically, this rule allows a player to assign its token to the MS Independent RR for use in Toledo (as Independent RRs can't buy Private Companies) and then sell it to a corporation (say, to the B&O for use in Wheeling) who then can use it in the same operating round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Typically, this rule allows a player to assign its token to the MS Independent RR for use in Toledo (as Independent RRs can't buy Private Companies) and then sell it to a corporation (say, to the B&O for use in Wheeling) who then can use it in the same operating round.

That's my experience also.

In theory, a player who starts two early corporations could assign the power to the corporation that operates first, then buy it in with the corporation that operates second, thus getting a second use. (Early because if you wait very long, the first brown train will probably come out and the Steamboat, along with all the other private companies except a bought-in Mail Contract, will vanish.) However, I have never seen this happen in 171 games played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Anastasia
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
In theory, a player who starts two early corporations could assign the power to the corporation that operates first, then buy it in with the corporation that operates second, thus getting a second use. (Early because if you wait very long, the first brown train will probably come out and the Steamboat, along with all the other private companies except a bought-in Mail Contract, will vanish.) However, I have never seen this happen in 171 games played.
I've done this exactly once. It was a cool trick but it was only possible because I had already gone down a poor strategic path. I would not seek to repeat that gamestate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies! I hope to get this to the table very soon. It's been a long long time since I've played an 18xx game. The last one being 1830 back in the mid 80's. I also had/have the computer version of 1830 from the early 90's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.