United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new TGIF polls are posted, or want to look at the results of past polls go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

We also have a microbadge available for those who enjoy the polls mb.

Poll: The 378th TGIF Poll
Superheroes?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Awesome!
29.5% 91
Neat
23.4% 72
OK
26.0% 80
Nah
18.2% 56
Yuck!
2.9% 9
Voters 308
Comic Books?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Still collect and enjoy them today
12.0% 37
Used to collect and enjoy them
25.2% 78
Never collected but have read and enjoyed some
46.3% 143
Never collected and never enjoyed them
15.5% 48
Actively avoid them and hate them
1.0% 3
Voters 309
These are the Top 10 Comic Book games according to BGG (but I combined a few of them into a single family.) Which ones have you played/enjoyed?
  Played it and like it Played it and indifferent Played it and dislike it Never played it but would be happy to Never played it and don't want to Never heard of it Vote Count
Marvel Legendary (Any of it, including Villains) 25.8% (80) 9.4% (29) 6.1% (19) 26.5% (82) 25.2% (78) 7.1% (22) 310
Sentinels of the Multiverse 18.4% (57) 12.9% (40) 11.3% (35) 29.4% (91) 24.3% (75) 3.6% (11) 309
Marvel and/or DC Dice Masters 12.4% (38) 6.9% (21) 3.9% (12) 29.7% (91) 37.3% (114) 9.8% (30) 306
Dream Factory (How is this tagged as a comic book game?) 9.8% (30) 4.6% (14) 1.3% (4) 17.3% (53) 10.1% (31) 56.9% (174) 306
DC Comics Deck-Building Game (Any of it) 9.4% (29) 6.5% (20) 5.2% (16) 22.3% (69) 39.5% (122) 17.2% (53) 309
Witness 5.9% (18) 1.6% (5) 1.6% (5) 25.7% (79) 9.8% (30) 55.4% (170) 307
Heroscape Marvel: The Conflict Begins 7.1% (22) 4.8% (15) 0.3% (1) 25.2% (78) 28.4% (88) 34.2% (106) 310
Heroes Wanted 3.9% (12) 1.6% (5) 2.6% (8) 24.9% (77) 25.9% (80) 41.1% (127) 309
Onward to Venus 1.9% (6) 2.6% (8) 0.0% (0) 21.8% (67) 17.2% (53) 56.5% (174) 308
Marvel Heroes 3.6% (11) 3.6% (11) 1.6% (5) 18.2% (56) 22.7% (70) 50.3% (155) 308
Total Voters 311
This poll is now closed.   313 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:00 am

4. If you could have an obscure super power, what would you want? (None of the obvious ones like flying, strength, etc. are allowed for this question.)

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I always seem to be short a hand especially when carrying in the groceries, so I'd have the power to spawn extra limbs or tentacles as needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't mind some kind of supernatural affinity for birds, complete with communication. Might make photographing them a lot easier.

As far as super heroes though, nah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
I always seem to be short a hand especially when carrying in the groceries, so I'd have the power to spawn extra limbs or tentacles as needed.

"Prehensile-Tail Man?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
4. If you could have an obscure super power, what would you want? (None of the obvious ones like flying, strength, etc. are allowed for this question.)

Mr. Caffeine.
I wouldn't need to sleep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hallstrom
United States
Jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe not a super-power as I think some people have an approximation of it:
Perfect Memory (and the ability to not get overwhelmed by it)

And I doubt I'd fight crime. I'd just get through life a bit easier than my usual disorganized self.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like this version of Dream Factory might be responsible:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Challst wrote:
Maybe not a super-power as I think some people have an approximation of it:
Perfect Memory (and the ability to not get overwhelmed by it)

And I doubt I'd fight crime. I'd just get through life a bit easier than my usual disorganized self.

Seconded. This would make work a heck of a lot easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
I wouldn't mind some kind of supernatural affinity for birds, complete with communication. Might make photographing them a lot easier.

As far as super heroes though, nah.
"Archie Opterix"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Nah

2. Never collected, read and enjoyed a few

3. I like Dream Factory, willing to try Witness, don't care about most of the rest

4. not sure yet, will respond later with my answer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As to super powers, define "obvious".

Is luck obvious? What about wishing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Comics/superheroes/whatever are a topic that it would be hard for me to care less about.

That being said, the ability to automatically know the rules for any game that was set in front of me would be pretty nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Granting wishes might be cheating. I don't think luck is all that obvious, though. You could be like Longshot:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Super speed-reading without missing a single detail of what I read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Do manga count as comic books? Even if they do they are definitely not my favorite form of media but I have enjoyed a couple.

JohnnyDollar wrote:

See I never understood when people choose "flight" or "super strength" or "invisibility", they just don't choose the ability to shapeshift into animals. With it, you get flight from birds, some enhanced strength in the from an elephant or other large animal, near invisibility by turning into an insect, super senses from bats, hawks, polar bears (smell) sharks (electricity) etc. Other abilities you would gain:

Axolotl/spiny mouse - Regenerate limbs/up to 60% of your flesh
Immortal jellyfish - Ability to regenerate to a polyp to hypothetically live indefinitely
Lyre bird - imitate almost any noise
Pistol shrimp - create shockwaves louder than a gunshot, hotter than the surface of the sun
Tardigrade - survive near absolute zero to 150C, or 10 days in space.
Various species - venom, venom resistance, ability to go weeks without water and eat almost anything, ability to fit into tight spaces, etc.

So in short I'd choose be able to shapeshift into animals if that is obscure enough. Otherwise I'd choose illusion magic, but to be more dark and edgy I wouldn't have full control of my powers and have my own illusions make me somewhat delusional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Granting wishes might be cheating. I don't think luck is all that obvious, though. You could be like Longshot:

Nor grating them, making them.

But it is no more cheating then magic or the ability to alter reality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - Awesome!

2 - Used to collect and loved them

3 - Like Legendary, Sentinels, and Dream Factory. I was kind of indifferent on Heroscape, and I disliked Marvel Heroes. I'm willing to play Dice Masters or DC deck-building. I have no idea what any of those others are.

4 - I'd like to be like Matter-Eater Lad. Literally eat anything you want and still be ripped with a six-pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
By far the best super power to have is Telekinesis, but that presumably falls under "obvious".

Instead, I'll go with the ability to instantly know the precise location of any object just by thinking about it.

Missing car keys - check!

Dropped contact lens - check!

Jimmy Hoffa's body - check!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Blott wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

True. I just thought, if you had the ability to make wishes (and they'd be granted) you'd just ask for flight and super strength, and all those kinds of things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Blott wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

True. I just thought, if you had the ability to make wishes (and they'd be granted) you'd just ask for flight and super strength, and all those kinds of things.
Not how I imagined it, rather the opposite.

You do not wish for powers, you wish your opponents away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
Why did Dracula become a bank? To deal with suckers every day!
mbmbmb
It might be less of a superpower and more of a gadget, but I want Doraemon's "Anywhere Door".

どこでもドア--Dokodemodoa!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
The ability to know sports scores from future events.

But only know how much one of the two teams competing scored.

Cruel, I know.

Denver 27...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love superheroes, always have. Supervillains and anti-heroes too.
Marvel is kicking butt in the movie realm (though I liked Suicide Squad), DC is doing pretty well on TV, and there's a good selection of superhero board games now. Sentinels and DCDBG are my favorites.

I used to collect comics, I've got four boxes (that are most likely no longer in anywhere close to NM condition) in my attic. I want to revisit, reread, reorganize them.

I don't have any super rare titles/issues, but a few gems include two copies of Batman 400, and a first printing of the entire Watchmen mini series.

Too expensive now though. Individual issues are, what, 3-5 bucks each? That was a Prestige Special Edition when I stopped collection. I check out TPBs from the library now. Although Ollie's discount store had a bunch of packs of 10 random mostly recent issues for 6 bucks, I bought three or four packs. (although, wouldn't you know it, one of them had an old-ass Elflord #1 which I actually had upstairs in my collection.)

Superpower:
Controllable stretchiness like Elongated Man, Plastic Man, or whats-his-name, Mr Fantastic is my go-to answer. But if that's too mainstream, I played an RPG one time where our characters had original powers, and mine (I'm sure there's a character out there with this but I don't recall it) was being able to control my density. From diffuse enough to pass through a wall, to dense enough that a fist was literally hard as a rock. I haven't fully thought through that power's pros and cons though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

:bd6-4: - I'd like to be like Matter-Eater Lad. Literally eat anything you want and still be ripped with a six-pack.

I sort of had that power. Unfortunately, I encountered some kryptonite around my sophomore year of college....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not big on the superhero thing. I bought a few comics when I was young, appreciated the Dark Knight Returns graphic novel. I like the movies ok, although most of them are pretty mediocre (except for Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy, which are awesome). In games, I'm willing to play but don't need to. The exception wasSentinels of the Multiverse which for some reason I found charming.

Blott wrote:

Easy. I've often talked about this when that "what superhero power would you want" discussion pops up.

I want to be able to kill bugs with tiny heat-seeking flame bolts. Just little zaps that would pop the nasty little things up in smoke. Fruit flies and mosquitos would be my number one targets but flies and roaches would be on my hit list as well. Bugs beware, it's... ZAP MAN!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.