mbmbmbmb
Dramatis Personae:

Mauro, a.k.a. the bloodthirsty drunkard, as Marchionni
Fabio, a.k.a. hell spawn mustaches, as Medici
Diego, a.k.a. the sly man, as Couer
Stefano, a.k.a. time traveler of doom, as Fugger

Place: some obscure abode in the notorious pirate cove of Genoa

Act I

Fugger, who happens to be sitting in front of the West market row, decides that for a change he will focus this time on the Western scene. Apparently the fact that in previous occasions when he was sitting by the Eastern bazaars he was known to invest in the Middle East seems completely coincidental. Buys Flanders and plays it for an immediate successful peasant revolt in France

Medici buys a couple more west market cards that he quickly hides in hand.

Marchionni buys a couple more, one of which is a trade route change.. early hint of a Columbus run?

Couer, with his concession in Egypt and with the eastern market in front of him, decides quite possibly for good reasons to invest there and buys two card in the East

Act 2

Fugger starts a West trade fair and then activates his tableau for some commerce in the West and a vote in France

Medici plays some catholic bishop card to silence the Flanders (France) card in Fugger's tableau and then buys another card

Marchionni places another catholic bishop and starts a crusade in Aragon

Couer sieges Mamluk and buys from the East

Act 3

Fugger buys two cards from the West market

Medici plays House of Borgia for another catholic bishop, which he places on the France Republic, then plays Knight Hospitalier

Marchionni sells a card to raise cash and then makes Fugger play for his undefended republic campaigning from Aragon to take France as vassal to his tableau

Couer thanks to some suspicious coffee from Damascus successfully conspires in Mamluk and take control of that empire

Act 4

Fugger plays Sindicat Remenca and takes revenge on Marchionni by conquering Aragon and sending France back to the available pile, then starts another West trade fair.

Medici sieges in France, repress some unlucky Ottoman, buys a card

Marchionni weds Isabella in Portugal to take that kingdom and repressing a Fugger concession nearby, then campaigns in France to take that back as Portugal vassal this time.. Poor France will be too hot to handle all game!

Couer buys from the East and sieges in Hungary

Act 5

Fugger plays places some concessions in the west and buys a card

Medici spends all the money he has to buy the latest hot socialite Carlotta Lusignano from the East (groans from Couer heard all the way to England), sells a card to sustain her clothing and maidservants

Marchionni activates a West trade fair and buys Indian Armada, the first comet appears in the West! More beer is dealt around the table.

Couer continues his relentless sieges in Hungary, does some merchant things around and sell a card.

Situation when first comet appears:
FUGGER: Aragon Kingdom, Law (2)
MEDICI: Catholic (2), Patron (2)
MARCHIONNI: Portugal and France (as vassal) kingdoms, Catholic (2)
COUER: Mamluk kingdom
Dominant Religion: Catholic

Act 6

Fugger, clearly afraid of an immediate Religious win by Medici (who has a card in hand), buys the comet and activates Renaissance victory. Clearly he has an agenda to switch Aragon soon and win.. Then he places a pirate in the Channel and peasant's revolts in... France to take that empire away from Portugal control.

Medici, possibly aware of Fugger populism in the South, causes a peasant revolt in the Papal States, to take that as kingdom, and block the threatened Vote in Aragon, increasing Catholic prestige to 3

Marchionni plays Indian Armada to realign the west trade fair and get a Discovery prestige and then, guess what, campaigns in France from Portugal to take that back yet again as vassal

Couer plays The Handsome to place 2 black knights and start a Jihad in Hungary, creating a muslim theocracy there and taking it as kingdom.. making a late run at Muslim victory? Things are really heating up!

Act 7

Fugger cannot vote in Aragon (no majority) and has lost France, having no returns from trade fairs (due to Spice Island opening and green domination in Portugal/England) is left with no cards and no cash and almost out of the game. Luckily he can commerce a little to raise a minimum of funds and buy another card (with Law prestige).

Medici finally crowns Carlotta and takes the Ottoman Empire; start the first East Trade Fair in the game

Marchionni keeps pumping cash from the Indies with a West Trade fair and buys from the East

Couer sieges yet again, this time in Costantinople, and then activates another East trade fair

Act 8

Fugger commerce a little bit again and represses a knight in France; then plays Friese Freedom to conspire there again and take the France kingdom to his tableau.. This time it comes with 2 ruling class defenders.. will it finally survive Portuguese assaults? Marchionni, between a beer and another, declares he has had enough wargaming there.. but can you trust that notorious pirate?

Medici taxes Aragon and Portugal to try reduce his rivals cash in view of purchasing the second comet whenever it will show up; then East trade fair

Marchionni sells and west trade fair.. still no second comet in sight!

Couer buys from the East and east trade fair

Act 9

Fugger activates tableau to vote in France and switch it to Republic; then declares RENAISSANCE victory

Final situation:
FUGGER: Aragon Kingdom, France Republic, Law (3)
MEDICI: Catholic (3), Patron (2), Ottoman Kingdom
MARCHIONNI: Portugal kingdom, Catholic (2), Discovery (2)
COUER: Mamluk and Hungary kingdoms, Muslim (2), Patron (2)
Dominant Religion: Catholic

Acknowledgments and Mistakes

After seeing its various incarnations during play test it was hard to be objective and clear minded enough to say if this game would be another Eklund success or not. We let it sit for a couple months and decided we would give it a go with final production components only. This means we probably made some mistake, some we recognized during the game (like not discarding trade fair cards in the first 2-3 we played or Mauro thinking I had discarded the Renaissance victory out of the game.. too much beer?) and some we have yet to recognize.

However, we all were impressed how everything finally flowed together nicely. Empires were flying back and forth all the time, as expected, but we found an use for all tableau actions (even some behead was threatened but then postponed and never materialized), all victory conditions, trade fairs and trade fairs reroutes and, yes, even pirates!

Thanks Phil and Matt for delivering another great installment in the Pax series!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this. Can't wait to get my hands on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for making the wait a little easier...and a little harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo Santacruz de la Torre
Spain
Rivas Vaciamadrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Great to read such game play for four players. Thanks!

Just one question, how long it took to you the whole game? b/c it lasted only 9 rounds (I think it's a little short). I also saw that you played with a sand clock (I guess to speed up decisions, good).

I tried the game solitaire (with two players) right now and as I was only understanding the rules while playing for the first time I played more than 9 rounds and no winner yet, so I ended the game to start again maybe playing with more sense next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Tine'
Italy
Genoa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Erwin wrote:

Just one question, how long it took to you the whole game? b/c it lasted only 9 rounds (I think it's a little short). I also saw that you played with a sand clock (I guess to speed up decisions, good).

The sand clock was not actually used. It was only there as a preemptive device to scare me into not taking too long, as I have the undeserved fame of being AP prone at times... Our game took 2.5 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sinn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Very interesting playthrough! The typical early Eastern development (fortification of the East via trade routes) didn't seem to happen for you guys, and the Jihads seem to have very little effect on your game.

A lot of fun reading through the game play!

I've had to step away from the game rules as well -- too many rule iterations, no longer remember which rules were changed now! Very happy to see the game in the wild now. The coin and knight components are such good quality!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session...my preorder has shipped...so soooooon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tolga CORAPCI
Belgium
flag msg tools
First of all, thank you very much for posting this AAR. Seeing other peoples' play always provides insights.

I have a couple of question:

1) Was there any possible counter-move for the other players in the last turn to stop Fugger winning?

2) Have you observed efficient Trade Fair combos which made other players say "we need to stop this Wheel turning or we are doomed"?

3) Did most of the players start the game with "target victory" in their mind? How relevant these targets were compared to their end-game targets?

Thanks in advance for answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Tine'
Italy
Genoa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sir Turquine wrote:

1) Was there any possible counter-move for the other players in the last turn to stop Fugger winning?

I think perhaps Marchionni could have tried campaigning yet again in France. This time it had two ruling class defenders, not sure it would have worked, though.. can't recall exact details. Or maybe a combination of campaigns from Papal States and Portugal could have done it. Or Medici/Marchionni could have tried to silence my 2 available Vote (West) ops by moving their bishops (I had a third Vote (West) op already silenced since round 2 or so).

Quote:

2) Have you observed efficient Trade Fair combos which made other players say "we need to stop this Wheel turning or we are doomed"?

Not in this game, except at the end when Portugal had opened the West Indies market and was taking all the cash from the West route. Thankfully I had a pirate there to patrol France's coasts (having the only Corsair op around).

Quote:

3) Did most of the players start the game with "target victory" in their mind? How relevant these targets were compared to their end-game targets?

Don't think so. I think you need to be flexible and adapt to what the market offers you and what the others let you go away with. In my case, having an uncontested Peasant Revolt + Law + available Vote op in France in turn 1 really was a no brainer to what path I could try to follow. Others had to wait and see what they could come up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tolga CORAPCI
Belgium
flag msg tools
Thanks Stefano.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Polybe
France
Fondettes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Stefano. Very pleasant review.
One completely minor comment: the french banker is not Mr "Couer" but "Cœur" (che vuole dire il "cuore" in francese).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.