The Castles of Burgundy» Forums » General

Subject: Timer / Knowledge Tile addition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ronald Hill
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I would like to hear feedbacks on this- My group is thinking of adding house rules for COB- trying to resolve issues with timing of game as this game can be long. We are thinking of having each player start with 25 minutes (for whole game, as timer will run on each turn). At end of game, one point for each 2 minutes left on timer. If your timer runs out, minus 5 points. Also adding knowledge tile: 1 point for each minute left on timer. What do you think? Any suggestions? Is 25 minutes too much for each player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This poll suggests that games with experienced plays tend to take about 30 minutes per player, more or less.

If that's too long for you, a couple of threads in the Variants forum have discussed how to speed things along.
- Variant Suggestion to Shorten Play Time for Castles of Burgundy?
- Speed up 4 player game; simultaneous rolls?

Nothing against personal timers, but I probably wouldn't play that way, myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan
United Kingdom
Kings Langley, Herts, UK
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
I and my family have played less than sixin total and less than three with each other and our last game lasted 28mins per player in a 4-player level 1 board

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmb
ironregime wrote:

But ... you roll simultaneously anyway ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
katanan wrote:
ironregime wrote:

But ... you roll simultaneously anyway ...

Correct, it's not a variant; it's the actual rules, lol. But as a result of that thread several folks discovered they'd been playing wrong all along, lengthening the game unnecessarily. So the thread still has value if it points out a rule people are overlooking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Yes, we roll simultaneously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just keep poking the active player with a stick, that should take care of the problem

In seriousness, since people roll simultaneously, you can plan your turn ahead to some degree, especially if you're familiar with the game. So I think your idea is worth a shot! Tell us how it went.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.