D-Day at Tarawa» Forums » Variants

Subject: Rules crossover? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Gabrielli
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Does anybody play with the some of the rules from the games designed later incorporated into earlier games? For EX. CC in DDaP seems to be a better rule the CC in DDaT?

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

In what way do you think the CC rules is better in DDaP?
The Peleliu CC rule is much harsher on the G.I.'s, so I think it would be a bad idea to use it in the Tarawa game.

Doing the opposite, that is using rules from the earlier games in DDaP could be an option for those that like house rules.
Being able to barrage unrevealed units and using the Tarawa CC rule are two options that possibly could give you a chance to even get close to winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gabrielli
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Good points, I'll have to play it out. Does anybody know why John changed the CC for DDaP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve, I asked this very same question to one of Decision Games' testers, and he said that the rule change was intentional and designed to more appropriately capture the type of combat that occurred on Peleliu vs Tarawa. I'm sure it has something to do with tougher defensive fortifications on Peleliu, more difficulty spotting enemies due to them hiding until all pre-invasion bombardments were over, etc.

I like CC a lot in both games, but I'd definitely like to hear John B's thoughts on why CC changed, why some games require revealing units first vs not, why the landings are different in the 3 games, etc. No doubt, each change was made to capture the way each battle played out and is rooted in historical accuracy. But, at the same time, I don't think the experience would change that much if you played with some rule variants such as applying rules from the other games. If anything, the changes would be easy to try out and would add some variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gabrielli
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks Mike. Makes sense, I think you hit the nail on the head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane P
United States
South Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
I wanna know why anyone thinks D-Day at Peleliu is fun.

DD@T is my favorite in the series to be sure.

It was my understanding that the errata/addenda to DD@T made the close combat identical to DD@P.

That difference, if I recall correctly, was that Japanese would only reinforce their CC if the appropriate card was drawn on the Japanese side's card-draw/attack. Pardon my rust.

If you are playing DD@T without the appropriate addenda/errata, you are doing a disservice to all those dead marines on the beach. (There is one for DD@P too that improves bombardment and changes victory conditions similarly).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Heliodorus04 wrote:
It was my understanding that the errata/addenda to DD@T made the close combat identical to DDaP

The two main differences making CC in DDaP more difficult are:
a) Disrupted Japanese units do not have to lose their disrupted status to be effective in CC.
b) The first US hit on an undisrupted Japanese unit will only disrupt it. The next hit will eliminate the depth marker etc.

Heliodorus04 wrote:
That difference, if I recall correctly, was that Japanese would only reinforce their CC if the appropriate card was drawn on the Japanese side's card-draw/attack.

This rule was in the DDaT, and the suggested DDaP, addena. It's not an original rule in either game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.