Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lior Kiperman
Israel
Ramat Gan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Rules Reference (Page 12):

After drawing a ticket token, a hunter can choose to keep it or discard it.

Why would a hunter want to discard a train ticket?

Lord Godalming's ability:

Privilege: When you reserve a ticket, gain 2 ticket tokens (instead of 1).

If you had 1 ticket before drawing, and now you draw a ticket, and you are pleased with both (both are best tickets), do you still have to discard a ticket and gain another? (is his ability optional?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may always draw another ticket to get a better one, or more suited to what you want, even if you already have ticket tokens. So, in this case, you'd need to discard if you already have two tokens, before you draw.

EDIT: sorry, your specific question is about discarding the one you just drew. So, I really can't imagine a circumstance that you wouldn't want to keep it.

As for your other question, it was answered in the FAQ:

He draws his first ticket, discards one of his two ticket tokens to draw a third. You can always decline to draw the third if you already have two good tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, let me clarify my edit. Sorry for the confusion!

If you draw more ticket tokens and already have two, you may not want to keep the new ticket. You do not have to discard a token before you draw. So you are really just fishing for a better token.

Phew! Sorry for the many posts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You must always discard before drawing, you do not draw then choose which to discard.

In the case of Lord Godalming, if he draws tickets he MUST draw 2. So if he already has 1, he draws 1, then he MUST discard one of the 2 and draw another, he cannot choose to stick with the 2 he has.

Godalming ABility wrote:
Privilege
When you reserve a ticket gain 2 ticket tokens (instead of 1)

It does not say may gain 2 ticket tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Reference? I've seen it concluded the other way in these forums - that yes, you must discard before drawing, but no, Lord Godalming can choose to stop after drawing just one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
Reference? I've seen it concluded the other way in these forums - that yes, you must discard before drawing, but no, Lord Godalming can choose to stop after drawing just one.

As I edited my post above the lack of the word may indicates Godalming's ability is not optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Someone also claimed that was FFG's official response: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/20884603#20884603
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior Kiperman
Israel
Ramat Gan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I still don't understand why would a hunter choose to discard a train ticket instead of keeping it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that I was mistaken. The clarification from FFG seems clear, and the other (that you must discard before drawing) is clearly spelled out in the rules reference.

However, this is very bizarre, because the exact opposite is true of card draws. You can draw cards over the hand limit before having to discard, and even play them, according to the rules reference, pg. 8.

That is the kind of inconsistency that will drive you crazy. And yes, that means the comment in the rules about keeping it or discarding is completely meaningless!

Thinking on it some more, I believe that Lord Godlaming's restriction is appropriate for his benefit. That is, if you have a single ticket, you must discard it before gambling on two new tickets. Because... you are getting two!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HealingAura wrote:
Well, I still don't understand why would a hunter choose to discard a train ticket instead of keeping it.
No good reason. After much consideration, the discard first rule with train tickets and the Godalming must draw twice rules 1) are counter-intuitive, 2) add gratuitous complexity, and 3) don't mesh with how other similar actions are dealt with in the game.

I can think of no good reason for handling things this way. I recommend playing a variant that you draw first, then discard down to two if necessary. So simple. Any micro-advantage to the hunters is well worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Xookliba wrote:
Thinking on it some more, I believe that Lord Godlaming's restriction is appropriate for his benefit. That is, if you have a single ticket, you must discard it before gambling on two new tickets. Because... you are getting two!

Actually, with Godalming's ability he draws one ticket and if he is then holding two tickets must discard one of them to get his second. So think of his ability as granting two reserve ticket actions one after the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hook
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:
HealingAura wrote:
No good reason. After much consideration, the discard first rule with train tickets and the Godalming must draw twice rules 1) are counter-intuitive, 2) add gratuitous complexity, and 3) don't mesh with how other similar actions are dealt with in the game.

I can think of no good reason for handling things this way. I recommend playing a variant that you draw first, then discard down to two if necessary. So simple. Any micro-advantage to the hunters is well worth it.

I am in full agreement with Randal. Any micro advantage is acceptable in order to handle the drawing and discarding of train tickets in a manner that is similar to the drawing and discarding of event cards and item cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
HealingAura wrote:

If a Hunter has a 1/1 ticket and nothing else to do for their action then drawing another ticket makes sense. But yes, I agree the rules here are needlessly wonky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
The only thing I can come up with in regards to the official ruling on the reserve ticket action is due to the fact that you are drawing from a pool. By discarding a token and putting it back in the pool, you run the risk of drawing it again, and may be meant to replace the risk of the die roll when traveling by rail in the 2nd edition.

I'm not sure trying to incorporate that risk was worth the confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
COMaestro wrote:
The only thing I can come up with in regards to the official ruling on the reserve ticket action is due to the fact that you are drawing from a pool. By discarding a token and putting it back in the pool, you run the risk of drawing it again, and may be meant to replace the risk of the die roll when traveling by rail in the 2nd edition.

I'm not sure trying to incorporate that risk was worth the confusion.
Yes, you've got it right. Playing devil's advocate: There are only 16 tickets, and 4 hunters -- who can each hold two tickets. So the "ticket pool" can get as small as 8 tickets. (If you "throw back" the discarded ticket before drawing, you have an 11% chance of redrawing it.)

Players will tend to keep good tickets and throw back low tickets, which would dilute the pool. On the other hand, they may tend to use good tickets first, replenishing the pool.

I suppose the current rule makes it slightly (11%) harder for players to cycle through the ticket supply and soak up all 8 of the top tickets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
In some cases, you may want to have the lower tickets in hand and the higher tickets in the pool. If you planned to use Fast Horses regularly, for instance, you would want as many of the high yellow tickets in the pool as possible, both to better ensure a higher movement rate and also to prevent the need to lose Fast Horses if you draw a ticket with no yellow number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.