Subject: A bit late to the game... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Fleischel
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
...I only recently picked this up. I have a couple of the cycles (Shadows Of Mirkwood, Dwarrowdelf, and Against the Shadow) but I am a bit concerned now learning that the game is on it's way out.

Is it worth trying to get all cycles, or should I pick and choose one here and there? Or would getting a couple of chapter packs from each be better?

Honestly I am not an expert on this but don't want to just skip out on everything else this game has to offer.

Any suggestions would be highly valued.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is dead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry about all the talk of the game being dead (or dying), it's still a big moneymaker for FFG and will be in print for some time. Besides, what's wrong if it does die? It's not a competitive game, so "staying on top" by getting the most recent releases isn't that important.

Someone will eventually chime in to say, pick up a full cycle of what sounds most interesting to you. Like dwarves? Get the two Hobbit boxes. Like hobbits? Pick up the Black Riders saga. Et cetera.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah what do you mean the game is on it's way out? Are you listening to the silly "this game is dead" threads.

We are about to start a new cycle, and the saga campaign hasn't concluded yet. That means we have at least another 8 products down the pipe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, definitely dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, even if it does finish (which wins be for a while since there's still a year - two years of content down the line). There's still plenty of game for you to play and have fun with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmb
To answer your question, I think it is best to get everything in a cycle, especially the more recent cycles since they have more of an interconnected story. Also, it is nice to not have to worry about missing any player cards when you are deckbuilding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Fleischel
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input. Looking forward to getting them all sooner or later!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthBoromir wrote:
...I only recently picked this up. I have a couple of the cycles (Shadows Of Mirkwood, Dwarrowdelf, and Against the Shadow) but I am a bit concerned now learning that the game is on it's way out.

Is it worth trying to get all cycles, or should I pick and choose one here and there? Or would getting a couple of chapter packs from each be better?

Honestly I am not an expert on this but don't want to just skip out on everything else this game has to offer.

Welcome to Middle Earth!
It Ain't Dead yet, and not likely for at least another year or two just based on announced expansions etc. If I remember right one of the "way high ups" at FFG really likes this game, so there is that too.

For advice, Play the Core on your own - first quest at least once with each core deck and get a good idea of how it all works rules-wise, then go see Hall of Beorn - Beorn's Path here :

https://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/beorns-path/

for advice on mixing up the core decks, etc.

After that you can play the cycles you have with new deck builds, do some looking around and "questing" here on BGG to see if the other cycles are something you want, The lovely thing is if you decide this isn't for you - as long as you have each set complete, someone will buy them depending on condition.

I've been at it only about 15 months, I finally have gotten cycles for Mirkwood, Dwarrowdelf(Khazad-dum), Against the Shadow (Heirs of Numenor) and Ring Maker(Voice of Isenguard), I am hoping to get some Saga expansions over holidays, and maybe the next cycle as well.
I'm actively building all sorts of decks and running them through various scenarios to see how they work solo. My next step is to start building decks that expect other decks to be in play (so not every deck will have a Steward of Gondor cards for instance), Many of my solo decks work around that and the ever present Core "Gandalf" now, but the grey pilgrim does give you hope when it looks like the scenario has it in for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer the other unasked question, the game is not on it's way out. Someone brought it up in another thread that they *thought* the game was on it's way out, this despite a whole new cycle beginning and one more saga expansion still to come.

So everyone started having fun with how ridiculous the statement was and started declaring the game was almost wrapped.

Perhaps we should stop joking now though.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug London
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm trying to figure out if I'd rather:

1) never have to hear anything about the US election ever again

2) never see another "the game is dead" joke.

Tough call.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmb
I vote (2), one hunnuh puhcent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DouglasLondon wrote:

Tough call.

I'll take "this game is dead" over "this democracy is dead" any day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthBoromir wrote:

This game is not going out any time soon. A complete cycle has been announced and we don't even know what they are going to do to finish up the Lord of the Rings saga expansions. There may be more than just the final saga expansion. Pretty much everything is available or will be reprinted relatively soon (if it is not currently available).

My two cents is that if you have bought that much of the game and you really like it, then you should stick with it. It really is a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
This game was supposedly dead before the Greece and Spain were falling out of the Euro. It was a dead dodo prior to BREXIT. Given it has survived those shocks in the market I'm confident it will outlast Donald Trump's presidency. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
miloshot wrote:
Yep, definitely dead.
And the way you know it's dead is because it's turning out new content, on schedule, with a long string of announced releases reaching into the future.

It's when a game's gone six months without any new material announced, and the current cycle hasn't even started yet, or when FFG announces they're going to a deluxe only format, that you know a game will live forever... Until Games Workshop beats it to death.

But, seriously, the only thing that's ending is the Saga releases (I assume), because they're getting to the end of the books. The main line releases have, if anything, shown way more creativity in the last couple years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anaturalharmonic wrote:
DouglasLondon wrote:

Tough call.

I'll take "this game is dead" over "this democracy is dead" any day.

Yeah, the problem with crap like this is, when you tell yourself a lie enough times, you start to believe it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.