Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Which 90s Teams Deserve a Small Box Expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Rios
United States
California
flag msg tools
I was thinking 90s era Marvel small box revolving a certain team would be cool.

There’s a weird dichotomy about the 90s. Comic book sales were plunging, yet Marvel really stepped up its artwork with guys like Jim Lee at the helm and started to kill it in the animated world.

I also really feel like the 90s era really emphasized superhero and villain teams, hence the 90s theme. (Like Lee/Claremont's X-Men)

Which 90s superhero OR supervillain team would have the coolest small box expansion? The team could have started in the 90s or not. For examples, Alpha Flight went mainstream in the 90s thanks to the cartoon.

I want to hear everyone's thoughts, who would be the villains, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mb
The original X-Force has enough missing members to do a small set: Boom-Boom, Cannonball, Shatterstar, Feral and Warpath.

There was also Force Works which was "Liefeld-Upped" West Coast Avengers.

Oooh, and Slingers. Do you remember Slingers? Yeah, probably not.

There was also Silver Sable and whatever her group was called.

Really though, I think two things from the 90's would make a great small set: Marvel 2099 (though if you included the X-Men team it would be a big box set) and the New Warriors. If I'm correct, without Speadball the founding members total 5. Night Thrasher, Namorita, Nova, Firestar and Marvel Boy (Justice).

I've got my fingers crossed for the New Warriors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rios
United States
California
flag msg tools
jhochges wrote:
The original X-Force has enough missing members to do a small set: Boom-Boom, Cannonball, Shatterstar, Feral and Warpath.

There was also Force Works which was "Liefeld-Upped" West Coast Avengers.

Oooh, and Slingers. Do you remember Slingers? Yeah, probably not.

Really though, I think two things from the 90's would make a great small set: Marvel 2099 (though if you included the X-Men team it would be a big box set) and the New Warriors. If I'm correct, without Speadball the founding members total 5. Night Thrasher, Namorita, Nova, Firestar and Marvel Boy (Justice).

I've got my fingers crossed for the New Warriors.

Wow..all great choices! I would really like a Thunderbolts one. They shined in the 90s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphalflight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mb
VaeVictis666 wrote:
Alphalflight

I'd hate to be contrarian, but was Alpha Flight around since the 80's? Maybe even earlier? I would like an Alpha Flight set though. On a side note, I think that Northstar was one of the first openly gay mainstream superheroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nimstradamus wrote:
The team could have started in the 90s or not. For examples, Alpha Flight went mainstream in the 90s thanks to the cartoon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:

The Wild Pack. I'd love that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mb
TheUbiquitous wrote:
nimstradamus wrote:
The team could have started in the 90s or not. For examples, Alpha Flight went mainstream in the 90s thanks to the cartoon.

Alright, alright, don't sue me. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
VaeVictis666 wrote:
Alphalflight

I'd hate to be contrarian, but was Alpha Flight around since the 80's? Maybe even earlier? I would like an Alpha Flight set though. On a side note, I think that Northstar was one of the first openly gay mainstream superheroes.

Definitely one of the first. The only one I can think of that beat him was was Rictor coming out as a member of the New Mutants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, the '90s are when I checked out of Super hero comics. Some of that, I'm sure, is a function of age (I turned 18 in 1990), part of it is artistic taste (the nascent Image crew ranged from decent to awful IMHO my2¢ YMMV), but a large part of it was the poly-bagged embossed foil stamped hologram die-cut multiple collect-them-all covers that drove up the price of the books without adding anything of value (to me) to the comics experience. I still bought Sandman and Akira through this period (because of course I did) and as I walked through the comics shop I would look about and shudder at what comics had become.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Does the expansion have to be from the 90s?

If that's not a requirement, I'd go with the Ultimate Universe expansion. In my world the comics lived up to the "Ultimate" title. It was also gratifying to see characters as powerful as they're supposed to be. For example, here was a one of the Captain America v Wolverine "fights":

Captain America throws a grenade at Wolverine.

Wolverine: Oh shi--

We don't see him the rest of the Avengers v X-Men fight. Presumably he was healing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say Generation X, but if they got an expansion before the New Mutants did, I'd cry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Reiter
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Thunderbolts has the most possibilities. You could have the heroes and the villains be the same characters. I'd love to see a Thunderbolts adversary group and a Masters of Evil (with the founding members of the Thunderbolts) villains group. And then of course, Citizen V, Atlas...the founding members as heroes.

Alternatively, a vol 1 & 2 small box where one is a version for Villains with all the roles/names flipped. It's got miles and miles of potential IMO.

That said, Alpha Flight would be cool as heck too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The correct answer is...

Excalibur!

That said, I would also welcome West Coast Avengers and the New Mutants and Alpha Flight....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
The correct answer is...

Excalibur!

BOOM!!!!

DarthEd wins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I eagerly await the rending of garments and gnashing of teeth when Apocalyptic Kitty Pryde is joined by Shadowcat with Excalibur team affiliation instead of a straight-up X-Men affiliation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
they started in 1989, but i'd love to see New Warriors:

we got Speedball (and Namorita) in Civil War (and potentially others, but i don't have all the sets)

but every time i think of the 90s and Marvel, this is the quintessential 90s team to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.