United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG announces:

Curse of the Rougarou
The Dunwich Legacy
Essex County Express

Reaction: "Sqeeeeee! So much content! The Arkham Horror LCG is taking over the world!"

FFG announces:

The Sands of Harad
Escape from Umbar
The Mûmakil
Race Across Harad
Beneath the Sands
The Black Serpent
The Siege of Annuminas
The Mountain of Fire

Reaction: "Yawn... Lord of the Rings LCG? Oh, FFG is killing that..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But I read a totally unsubstantiated claim that the FFG lost the license forever and the game is dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And yet, people are still "liking" the LotR threads more than the Arkham Horror ones.

last Lord of the Rings LCG pack preview:
13 Thumbs ups
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1662293/black-serpent-annou...

last Arkham Horror LCG pack preview:
6 Thumbs ups
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1648647/miskatonic-museum
(I'm not using the Essex County Express one since it is so new)

Not the best metric to measure, but one of the few we have. I think LotR releases are still getting an enthusiastic response. Not sure why you think they are not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Brown
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
I think LotR releases are still getting an enthusiastic response. Not sure why you think they are not.

That was hyperbole. The LotR releases are getting very enthusiastic responses. Yet, this meme about the game dying persists...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elitusprime wrote:
Donkler wrote:
I think LotR releases are still getting an enthusiastic response. Not sure why you think they are not.

That was hyperbole. The LotR releases are getting very enthusiastic responses. Yet, this meme about the game dying persists...

People are making jokes about both games dying though. Is this thread a joke too? I guess maybe I'm confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
elitusprime wrote:
Donkler wrote:

People are making jokes about both games dying though. Is this thread a joke too? I guess maybe I'm confused.

I think it is a - probably ineffective - attempt to squash the "LotR is dead" rumors once and for all.

Summarry of OP:
AH -> few expansions released = "FFG is trying to take over the gaming world."

LotR -> many expansions released = "FFG is killing off this game"

There is a logical disconnect here. Hence the title of the thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Brown
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...

I'd make a joke about this being a "tough room" ... but the way this is going I'd get half a page of responses explaining how we're not all in a room, and even if we were rooms can not be eaten therefore are not generally considered difficult to chew... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmb
Well. The joke IS a little played out. And the Arkham stuff is bound to get more attention - you have new theme, a new system, and products available to people who haven't already invested in LotR (not that SoH isn't, but it can be daunting to get into the game so late).

I mean, LotR was on the hotness for what, five years? It's more the (well-loved, humorous, attractive) diehard fans who are going to really get sprung over a new AP announcement. Especially since announcing SoH makes the next six AP announcements a foregone conclusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
elitusprime wrote:
Donkler wrote:

honestly, i only see joke posts about the game dying. as much as people think 'the game is dying' is getting a little old, i think it's self-perpetuating at this point. it is a little old, but it's not because people actually think the game is dying
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew D
msg tools
mb
Any time there's a drought of news people actually do pose the question of whether the game is dying.

Either way, it's mostly a joke at this point, but it still gets asked...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug London
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
The endless "game is dying" jokes are what's been causing me to check lotr lcg forums a lot less frequently. It's well beyond played out at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Eckes
United States
Bloomington
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DouglasLondon wrote:
The endless "game is dying" jokes are what's been causing me to check lotr lcg forums a lot less frequently. It's well beyond played out at this point.

The forums are dying
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.