Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, based on the glowing reviews from trusted sources, I've put in my preorder without knowing that this was a KS product. Am I missing a substantial amount of content without "the works"?

It sadly seems that way at first glance, but so do CMON exclusives and I know that sometimes that extra content, even based on volume, isn't as quite as game-enriching as it seems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frohike wrote:
So, based on the glowing reviews from trusted sources, I've put in my preorder without knowing that this was a KS product. Am I missing a substantial amount of content without "the works"?

It sadly seems that way at first glance, but so do CMON exclusives and I know that sometimes that extra content, even based on volume, isn't as quite as game-enriching as it seems.

As far as I know, the only exclusive stuff is the Kevin Eastman studio map, and maybe the Mouser co-op mission?

All characters will be released to retail, just with different sculpts. So you'll still end up being able to get April, Splinter, Casey, B&R, and the Mousers, just later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. I've been poking around older threads and the KS page and I'm not too regretful at missing some of the exclusive stuff. A lot of it is chrome-level material, aside from the scenario. It's also encouraging to see that future expansions are planned & quite likely considering how successful the campaign was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Troutman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Yup. Most of the exclusives are purely cosmetic, so you're golden. You'll only be missing the Eastman map and mission, in the long-term. Even the Mouser stuff is eventually coming out in one form or another, or so I've heard. You're only missing stuff in the short-term, unless something terrible happens and they don't end up releasing the hero packs or expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
That is inaccurate. There were several gameplay expansions in The Works, but many will be available later at retail and none are critical. The base game is solid and lays the groundwork for years of expansions to come. Fear not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it'll be worth it at retail, and you're not missing much.
While I truly regret not backing for the Works, I don't feel I've missed out on all that much anyways. At least not enough to justify the inflated secondary market costs.
I'll get this at retail, as I feel I really didn't miss out on that much content during the KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least it's not like Ghostbusters, where all the iconic stuff from the movie were permanent KS exclusives for some ridiculous reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InkSplat wrote:
At least it's not like Ghostbusters, where all the iconic stuff from the movie were permanent KS exclusives for some ridiculous reason.

That's exactly the KS I was thinking of when posted this and I'm very glad it didn't turn out that way with this campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Indeed. Ghostbusters made all the replayability KS-exclusive, resulting in a bland retail edition. With TMNT, most Works components will eventually see retail (we just got them early). A few scenarios and a couple of other things are exclusive, but it's nothing you would miss in the long run if you didn't know about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg ivan
msg tools
I would put it like this

If you are a super turtles fan you would regret it more because of the lithos and the comic cover, not deal breaking, or even game breaking but a very nice thank you.

You do get about 1/3 more missions to play
You do get some extra villains and heroes
You do get it a lot sooner and cheaper

I guess I really appreciate the villian options afforded by Bebop and Rocky, the AI mission for the mousers and their mechanics, the extra heroes

The works edition is really just more about fan service, value, and more replay ability out of the box.

What should be said is that the game is fundamentally sound and just...fun on its own merit that the works and even the KS edition don't need their extras to validate the purchase at the end of the day. Like an extended edition blu ray or something. Doesn't change the fact that the extras for the movie it comes from is great on its own. Yknow?

To say "well you missed out" is almost implying its not worth it on its own. Its called a base game for a reason, and the "base" aka the foundation is very strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ivangamer84 wrote:
If you are a super turtles fan you would regret it more because of the lithos and the comic cover, not deal breaking, or even game breaking but a very nice thank you.

Yep. My friend's a TMNT fan, and he's *really* happy with the KS. I'm only a fan of the comics, and liked the mousers. laugh

Gameplay's a definite evolution from Kevin Wilson's Doom/Descent/IA system. Everyone rolls dice at the same time, and you *share* one die with your neighbor to the right, and a different die with your neighbor to your left. Since each turtle has their strengths and weaknesses, this sharing won't always be a gimmick when you *need* a die face from a neighbor. It's simple, yet thematically emphasizes teamwork. Raphael, the loner, can't share dice, but rolls more dice; but, again, this isn't clearly better -- you don't gain anything by rolling more dice if none of them will help you overcome a weakness.

I'll probably play his set, and buy the prepainted TMNT WizKids common turtles for my desk. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've done a lot of research into this game and am pleased to say you won't be missing anything. The Works was for people who had the disposable income at the time and wanted to treat themselves. As such they got some nice shiny bits that are really there as a thank you.

Personally I didn't back the project because I didn't like any of the extras, but I get why many did. Ultimately what they got are a couple of scenarios that are completely separate and add nothing to the actual game, and some figures early on. As retail buyers we'll just have to wait a bit longer for the extra characters, that's all.

I think the only real exclusive figures were the human Bebop and Rocksteady and Super Shredder. As I understand it, they are only added for the fun of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Psuedo-exclusive

April, Casey, Splinter: Releasing separately retail, with different sculpts. No exclusive gameplay content.
Bebop and Rocksteady: Alternative sculpts/sheets/rules. Being released retail, with different rules. The exclusive rules can easily be applied to the retail game.
Mousers: Mouser tokens and co-op campaign likely included in the Splinter hero pack. Alternate sculpts of the Mousers likely released at a later date.

Exclusive

Kevin Eastman Turtles: Alternative sculpts/sheets, no exclusive gameplay content.
Bebop and Rocksteady (human): Alternative thug sculpts/card art. No exclusive gameplay content
Super Shredder: Alternative sculpt/player sheet/rules. The exclusive rules can easily be applied to the retail game.
Comic/Lithographs: Not gameplay content.
Turtle Ally Cards: Exclusive gameplay content.
Save the Studio Campaign/Map + Kevin Eastman Ally Card: Exclusive gameplay content.
Mirage Campaign/Map + Mirage Fugitoid Ally Card: Exclusive gameplay content.
Villain Battle Dice: Alternative dice for the villains to use. Not directly gameplay related, but useful.

Summation

Mostly just bundled in expansions that'll be released retail later. The campaigns/allies are purely extra - the Kevin Eastman one is fluff, the Mirage one doesn't meld with the IDW-verse Turtles. So it's mostly bling and minor gameplay content. Nice bonuses for backers, but nothing you should go out your way to get, unless you're a big Turtles fan (or a big Mirage fan).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
I want to be very clear about this: The Works came with versions of mutated Rocksteady & Bebop that are KS-exclusive (including character sheets). Yes, mutated R&B will appear at retail later, but they will behave very differently and have completely different character sheets. So you did not miss out on R&B if you did not get the works, but there is a gameplay factor there which cannot be denied (though people seem to be doing just that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
PRSthruVOX wrote:
I want to be very clear about this: The Works came with versions of mutated Rocksteady & Bebop that are KS-exclusive (including character sheets). Yes, mutated R&B will appear at retail later, but they will behave very differently and have completely different character sheets. So you did not miss out on R&B if you did not get the works, but there is a gameplay factor there which cannot be denied (though people seem to be doing just that).

I wasn't clear on this, but I've added it to the list. Given the rules are pretty simple, I'm sure people can just use it on the retail versions too, but it does give The Works added value.

Given I loathe KS-exclusive gameplay content, I'm quite pleased with how the campaign worked out. Nothing essential is restricted from retail buyers, but there's enough bonus stuff to keep KS buyers happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
I should also point out that Ultimate Shredder has different stats.

I don't get this whole "can be easily applied to the retail game" business. That's true of absolutely anything. Hell, you don't even need to buy the game if you want to just "apply the rules" to whatever you have lying around the house. Either it's exclusive gameplay or it isn't.

Ultimate Shredder and KS R&B are significantly alternate versions that will not see retail, but there are standard versions that will, and neither of those exclusive versions are essential to the completeness of the game. I think it should be stated as simply as that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PRSthruVOX wrote:
I should also point out that Ultimate Shredder has different stats.

I don't get this whole "can be easily applied to the retail game" business. That's true of absolutely anything. Hell, you don't even need to buy the game if you want to just "apply the rules" to whatever you have lying around the house. Either it's exclusive gameplay or it isn't.

Ultimate Shredder and KS R&B are significantly alternate versions that will not see retail, but there are standard versions that will, and neither of those exclusive versions are essential to the completeness of the game. I think it should be stated as simply as that.

Bebop & Rocksteady/Shredder don't have any unique cards though. So as long as you have access to a picture or text version of their stat card, you don't need anything else to use their future models.

This isn't like using a new villain that had its own card pods that have to be shuffled in. So to act like there is no difference is pretty silly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
InkSplat wrote:
This isn't like using a new villain that had its own card pods that have to be shuffled in. So to act like there is no difference is pretty silly.

There is little difference. You could get card sleeves with a colored back and use proxy cards (a slip of paper inserted in front of whatever card you want) for such an instance. My son does it all the time with his oversized Pokemon cards. If you are using other TMNT cards as the proxy, you could even use clear card sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PRSthruVOX wrote:
InkSplat wrote:

There is little difference. You could get card sleeves with a colored back and use proxy cards (a slip of paper inserted in front of whatever card you want) for such an instance. My son does it all the time with his oversized Pokemon cards. If you are using other TMNT cards as the proxy, you could even use clear card sleeves.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Needing ONE bit of information, to me, is drastically different from needing to aquire info on a whole deck of cards and needing to then proxy them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
InkSplat wrote:
We'll just have to agree to disagree. Needing ONE bit of information, to me, is drastically different from needing to aquire info on a whole deck of cards and needing to then proxy them.

Yes, but my point is that with the KS you get everything you need. Otherwise you have to make do. That's how it is with everything. The level to which a person is willing to make do will vary, so there's no reason to include that as part of the list. If people really want it, they will find a way to have it even if it isn't listed here; if they do not, then mentioning it is pointless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Is there a timeline of when the expansions and ally packs are expected to be available? I purchased the retail version after reading a review last week (I didn't realize there was a separate "works" version). I've seen some forum information about City Fall, or the Splinter packs, etc. but cannot find any information about when releases are planned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Acrux wrote:
Is there a timeline of when the expansions and ally packs are expected to be available? I purchased the retail version after reading a review last week (I didn't realize there was a separate "works" version). I've seen some forum information about City Fall, or the Splinter packs, etc. but cannot find any information about when releases are planned.

There is no "separate" The Works version. That was an exclusive Kickstarter pre-order edition.

As for when expansions are planned, I don't believe anyone knows (perhaps not even IDW). Initially, the base game was planned for this past summer and City Fall was to come about about now, but that has likely changed. The character expansion packs were never given a date, though I believe the implication was that April would come out, then Casey, then Splinter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard that City Fall and a Nobody hero pack were the next planned releases. No idea if that is still true, or what the timeline might be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
donnbobhardy wrote:
I heard that City Fall and a Nobody hero pack were the next planned releases. No idea if that is still true, or what the timeline might be.

Then we heard different things, because I thought Nobody was supposed to be included in City Fall. But all bets are off since the timeline got revised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kingery
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The Eastman turtles were the big push/tipping point for me to jump on The Works. I am an old school 80's B&W comic fan. I prefer the look Eastman turtles to the IDW turtles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.