Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been out in the wild for a bit, does anyone have any thoughts? After loving S&S and hating WotR, I canceled my subscription and am waiting for reviews.

I'm eager for some feedback on gameplay, difficulty, interactivity and character development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert O'Hearne
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the game, but haven't got it on the table yet. I've played the other three, and I spend a lot of time on the Paizo boards.

Impressions I've heard is this set is more player-friendly than Wrath.

An interesting change to gameplay is they took an idea used on a single card in Wrath (Blasphemy Demon) and used it wholesale. It is a new trait, "Trigger": when you examine this card, something happens. Usually when you examine a bane with the Trigger trait the thing is bad. (See more here: The Wonderful Thing About Triggers).

The set has a lot of cards and characters with powers to examine the location deck (one of the 2 Basic blessings is a discard to examine-then-may-explore). Some scenarios are designed to really encourage you to examine.

Being set in an Ancient Egypt-like settings of tombs and crypts, there are a lot of Trap and Obstacle barriers. The set veers more towards S & S than Wrath in the barrier/monster balance. I haven't seen a Demonic Horde/Arboreal Blight equivalent.

It occurs to me you may know all this.....

From what I've heard the difficulty in the early scenarios is as expected, instead of extremely punishing (as was Wrath). People report occasional losses but I haven't heard of any deaths. Posters who were very negative about Wrath are responding enthusiastically to playing MM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got it and my group and I played it last Tues.
We like it so far.
The Characters seem interesting.
We like the Trigger mechanic that stops players from examining top card with no repercussions.
We like the new Trader cards that lets you get at some new stuff at the end of the game if you had closed locations without finding anything interesting.
It definitely has its own flavor.
Also, some cards give rewards if you beat them by a low enough margin, which stops players from trying to overkill a creature.

We're gonna play the hell out of this one.
BTW, We played all of them and I was really was not a fan of the Ship mechanic at all.
We absolutely loved Wrath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just like too know what characters you can play and what they can do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Lasky
msg tools
Rindel wrote:
I would just like too know what characters you can play and what they can do.

Let me see if I can help with that! What I like the most about this set is that there are only three returning characters from previous sets (unlike S&S, which was a bit more), and those would be Ezren the wizard, Alhazra the Oracle (also the lady on most spell cards for some reason), and Damiel the Alchemist. They are pretty similar to how they were in previous games, but Dameil has been nerfed a bit so he discards instead of banishes off the bat, and Ezren now can get blessings (non-divine), and now ignores elemental immunites.

As for the new people, check some of the previews on Paizo, as they have most of the characters. In particular there is Mavarro, who can carry 9(!) items, but can replace them with any combination of weapons, armors, or spells, and can display cards to use the "to aquire" skills on them as if they had his intelligence die, making him one of the most versatile characters in the game. I personally liked the characters in wrath a little better, but the new characters a close second.

In regards to the adventure path in general, I really like this onr. First of all I love that the base scenario is actually a part of the main quest (i.e. you actually gain skill feats and whatnot), and it returns to being like S&S with the focus on skills that are not merely combat oriented, which I find is good. Also there's a minor focus on not going over, which I find is somewhat interested, and makes the strategy of rolling dice somewhat more complicated. However, I think my favorite thing about this set is that there is some bleed to what cards do. For instance, one of the basic weapons is a torch, which doesn't really help in a fight, you can bury it for an explore. In fact one of the basic items, the compass, also does this. I think that's really great, and I would be interested to hear what people playing 6 character parties think of this change. I would say this is the new set to get if you are just starting out, and the best set so far.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been two blog posts in parctiular that have shown off some of the character cards:

From the Raging Heart of a Swirling Sandstorm Comes... the Mummy's Mask Preview
Treasure That Lies Behind Closed Doors

Paizo has said they hope to have the character sheets and rulebook available for download soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
269Hawkmoon wrote:
There have been two blog posts in parctiular that have shown off some of the character cards:

From the Raging Heart of a Swirling Sandstorm Comes... the Mummy's Mask Preview
Treasure That Lies Behind Closed Doors

Paizo has said they hope to have the character sheets and rulebook available for download soon.

The Paizo blogs are always professionally done and informative, but I'd still like to see some independent reviews. I appreciate the input from the folks on this thread so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. I wasn't suggesting it so much for review, as I was to the person saying they wanted to see what the characters were and what they could do. Those card images will give you an idea until the character sheets are available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any feedback on the difficulty curve? How long are games taking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek
Poland
Chorzów
flag msg tools
mb
MAJBrown22 wrote:

Mine are usually taking 1,5-2hrs per scenario including setting up. I play with four characters.

As far as difficulty is concerned this set is on the same difficulty as Rise of the Runelords was, at least in the prologue, as I haven't made it any further yet.

- K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ice Man
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:

I like the difficulty. It's more complex than Rise, but has had none of the table-flip moments from Wrath (And I rather liked Wrath).

They've done a lot with the theme, with creating different and varied scenario goals and villains, and with creating a wide breadth of boons.
It might be my favorite set, but I admit I am prone to simply liking the thing I'm playing Right Now the most.

Our experienced four-player group gets through a scenario in 45 to 90 minutes. Yes, it does vary that much. We got thru B in 5 hours, but I didn't track 1 as closely.

I have not felt that any character I've seen played (we started with a test group for a few scenarios, then switched for 2 more, then restarted the campaign with our character batch) was inappropriate or ill-equipped for the adventures ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.