9 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Blast and "Not me!" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pierre Dupond
msg tools
Hi everyone.

I'm looking to know how works "Not me!" if Splig succefull change the target for a big monster when hereo use a Blast attack.

Let's say I have a Merriod next to my Splig. I use "Not me!" success and change the target... Can i choose where the attack hit my Merriod, like the opposite corner ? So the blast don't touche my Splig ?

I already searched in the forum but find nothing like this...

Oh, and sorry for my english. It's not my native language
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kallan Greybe
msg tools
Splig's power says the target must be adjacent, so you wouldn't be able to choose a square that isn't adjacent to Splig. You do choose which adjacent square is targeted though, if that makes a difference to how many monsters get hit.

And no worries about your English, it's easily better than my everything else. Please let me know if anything isn't clear though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Dupond
msg tools
Thanks for your help. It's was exaclty what I want to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatGuyMontag wrote:
Splig's power says the target must be adjacent, so you wouldn't be able to choose a square that isn't adjacent to Splig. You do choose which adjacent square is targeted though, if that makes a difference to how many monsters get hit.

I'm not convinced. That's to say: I'm not denying your answer but I can't neither back it up.
Not Me! requires an adjacent monster; it does not specify an adjacent square. A Merriod adjacent to Splig occupies 2 or 3 squares not adjacent to Splig himself.
Choosing an adjacent monster may or may not imply the choice of an adjacent square as the target square.
I think Kallan's question still stands, at least until an official answer is given.

That said, to move the game along, I'd tend to consider that implication true (as in your answer) because it's probably the simplest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kallan Greybe
msg tools
Actually Erik, Splig's power says quite explicitly that it affects an adjacent target. The target of a blast attack is the square not the figure (though as per rules, the square has to have a legal target on it). This is necessary because the blast affects every square adjacent to the target. If the monster is the target that would mean every square adjacent to a large monster will be targeted, which is clearly not the intent of the blast effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smithe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules Question:
There are a few abilities that affect figures "adjacent to the target," and I'm wondering whether this means adjacent to the "target figure" or the "target space"? "Blast," as I understand it, implies "target space," but the Marshal's "Shockwave" is apparently intended to be "target figure." Other such abilities in question would be the "Incendiary Arrows" item and the surge on the "repeating crossbow." Thanks!

Answer:

Anything referring only to “target” refers to the target figure, not the target space.

Thanks,
Kara Centell-Dunk
Game Developer
Fantasy Flight Games

This was November 2015, FYI.

Since an attack must target a single space, it would stand to reason that the player using the ability to change the target (the OL) would determine which space becomes the target space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatGuyMontag wrote:
Actually Erik, Splig's power says quite explicitly that it affects an adjacent target. [...]

Not Me! wrote:
Each time Splig is attacked, before the dice are rolled, test his [awareness]. If he passes, a monster adjacent to him becomes the target of the attack. Range and light of sight are still measured to this monster's space.

(emphasis mine)

RAW it explicitly says that an adjacent monster is targeted.

1) So, in the OP's scenario, Splig may choose the Merriod (as a whole) because it is adjacent to him.

2) Now, the point where the rules are vague is that choosing a target monster is not enough if the attack has the Blast keyword: you must also choose a target space. There's no mention of whom must carry out this choice when the target is "redirected". Other typical situations (such as the Knight's Defend skill) involve small figures, so that issue didn't arise.

3) I agree with Paul's interpretation to the answer to the target figure/space ambiguity he quoted: the target change has been triggered by a Splig's ability, so it's his right to choose the new target monster but also the new target square in the instances where it matters.

I've split my reasoning in points because I'm curious about your opinion on them: Are there one or more points you disagree upon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kallan Greybe
msg tools
Balls, I'm wondering how I missed that Erik. My bad! Thanks for spelling it out so clearly though.

That suggests it's a direct conflict between the wording of the two effects so it seems to me the natural way to resolve the issue is the same way we resolve timing conflicts i.e. active player, the attacker not the overlord, chooses which square of the large figure is affected.

Am I missing something there that you guys disagree with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ozga
msg tools
I would say that there is no conflict at all.

Attacker chooses target of his attack (monster and space). (Step 1 of combat)
Now defender uses skill that changes this target. Lets say Splig was original target and OL uses Not Me! - OL may freely choose any adjacent monster.
Because every attack needs to target a space containing enemy figure OL would choose what space is targeted under adjacent monster because he chose that monster.

All this happens after step 1 but before step 2 of combat so there are no activities that attacker may do that would introduce a conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.