Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first (basic) game tonight, and I really enjoyed it. It scratches that solitaire itch with just enough thematic elements to make it very interesting.

There seems to be some ambiguity about the Enemy Breakthrough and Ultimate Weapon cards, though, and what to do with them.

I know when you use an Ultimate Weapon card, it goes away forever, but does it just go in the discard pile when you haven't grabbed all the supply points yet, or does it also go away, never to be seen again?

I can see arguments for both. Making it go away will make you push for those supply points like crazy, but if a bunch come out early in the deck, that doesn't seem fair. I suspect they don't go away, and waiting for them to cycle back into your deck is punishment enough.

How about for the Enemy Breakthrough. There seem to be different rules on the card and in the manual. It seems most likely that if they come up again in the deck after a reshuffle, the enemy research track will be far enough along that it won't have much impact (though it is a wasted card for your turn, at least). Does it only go away forever if it advances enemy progress?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Greer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Chad.

Thanks for playing. Here's the clarity on the rules you're asking about:

E Enemy Breakthrough cards ALWAYS go into the discard pile and cycle through. They take effect (and benefit the enemy) only if the enemy's current technology level is 3. Otherwise, it's simply a burned card.

E If you do not have 5 resource centers captured, then the appearance of an ultimate weapon card during the draw phase is simply a burned card. It goes into the discard pile and cycles through. Once you legally play an ultimate weapon for its intended effect, then it is removed completely from the game.

The rationale behind burning cards during your draw phase is the relative unpredictability of your own country's industrial output. You can't always rely 100% that your economy will produce and deliver at maximum capacity.

Any other questions, feel free to post them here, and/or contact me through pastgo.net or at geoff@pastgo.net.

Happy gaming! Thank you so much for your support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
playing through my first session now and had the breakthrough question. BGG to the rescue once again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.