Scythe» Forums » News

Subject: Iron Harvest = Scythe the PC game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The new game Iron Harvest seems to have similar things to our beloved Scythe!

It is based on the art work from Jakub Rozalski, just like Scythe is.

http://iron-harvest.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's officially set in the same alternate history setting but game play is completely unrelated:

http://stonemaiergames.com/games/scythe/digital-games-mercha...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope it is not based on Scythe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It's based on Jakub's 1920+ world--the same world Scythe is set in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
itmo wrote:
I hope it is not based on Scythe

Why is that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kind of sad that it's an RTS. That's been a saturated genre for years. Also, one of the most striking things about Jakub's art is the scale of the mechs in these pastoral settings, and scale never translates well in an RTS, where the units have to be visible and selectable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Brown
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are lots of games in every genre. I don't feel like there are more RTS games than say a genre like FPS. I'll give any game based on his world a shot, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruse
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
RTS a saturated genre? Maybe in the early 2000s. Traditional RTS's have been all but extinguished since MOBAs came along. StarCraft 2 is pretty much the only living one in existence right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
harvest4 wrote:
RTS a saturated genre? Maybe in the early 2000s. Traditional RTS's have been all but extinguished since MOBAs came along. StarCraft 2 is pretty much the only living one in existence right now.

The endless incarnations of the Total War series, Offworld Trading Company, Planetary Annihilation, the Anno series, Grey Goo, etc. Sure there are less of these game these days, but that seems to be largely because it's hard to distinguish them: the bird's-eye view art all looks the same, the themes and gameplay are all basically the same. I agree that FPS's are kind of saturated too, though that's led to different kinds of stories being told with them (c.f. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.) That hasn't happened yet with RTS's, and a 1920's era game with mechs doesn't give me huge amounts of hope for something different. I love Jakub's art, and I wish this were more, say, a survival game about someone trying to survive in the aftermath of a war, but it's hard to see how the RTS genre can tell a story other than conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't call Total War RTS - you issue all instructions on pause.

I generally hate RTS (Command & Conquer, etc) and anything with pressurised real time decision making. Total War I love - it's completely different, with no real time pressures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.