Subject: Opening moves for the Allies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to check that I have understood the rules which come with the 2nd edition of the game.

Opening 11:20 turn.

The French have no CPs as Ney and his Corps commanders are not on the map. But Pire, being a light cavalry commander has a chance to activate on a die roll.

The Allies start with Prince William of Orange on the map, they can generate one CP. The Prince can use this CP to generate one MU for a single brigade in his command span (rule 19.4E states that British brigades must be in command span of Corps commander in order be created as an MU, I presume British in the text means all Allied units?). I can't seem to spot an explicit reference to Allied Corps commanders being unable to generate Corps-sized MUs before Wellington arrives, but having read some earlier posts on this forum, it appears that before Wellington's arrival the Allies can only use their CPs to generate Brigade-sized MUs.

I have set Prince William up so that he and the three Nassau battalions are out of the command range of the Nassau's parent organisation and their commander the Prince of Saxe-Weimar. I presume this means that the Nassau are out of command of their immediate superior officer, despite being in the command of their Corps commander, and so must try to move towards their immediate superior when the Regroup chit is drawn. Once I move Prince William so that one of the two brigades on the map is in his command span I can then generate a Brigade MU next turn (11:40)?

Basically, the Allies are restricted to brigade-sized MUs within the command span of their Corps commanders until Wellington arrives, and the French have no guaranteed CPs until Ney arrives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you have all of this correct. Units are not compelled to move back into the command span of their superior, but they will have to be in that leader's command span if they want to be part of that brigade-sized MU.

You are correct that the larges MU that the Allies can create is a brigade. Wellington and his flying aides-de-camp can get a number of brigade active, but never together under a single MU.

There's a slight change in one of the versions of the rules that would let a corps commander create a corps-sized MU when his army leader has yet to arrive on the map. This makes sense, as they have authority over their entire corps on campaign. This ability goes away when the army leader shows up, as the corps commander now defers to the army leader's orders, even more so in the case of the micromanaging Wellington.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Paul,

So am I to understand that one version of the rules allows the Allied Corps commanders to create Corps-sized MUs before Wellington arrives, and one version of the rules only allows Allied Corps commanders to create Brigade-sized MUs? In other words, I have a choice as to which interpretation of the rules I use?

Also, another thought occurred to me. When the regroup chit is drawn, one of the Nassau units will be in the same hex as Prince William and another with his ADC, does this mean that these units cannot move during regroup as according to 20.B "Any unit currently stacked with a Leader is considered In Command for these purposes and may not move at this time." It seems a bit strange that they cannot make an effort to return to their parent brigade just because they are stacked with another leader? Have I misunderstood this part of the Regroup rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for now I'd stick to the rules as written and leave the maximum size of an Allied MU as a brigade. I might be mis-remembering another version of the game-specific rules or another conversation about them. It might be part of the Quatre Bras rules that were written for use with the Marie Louise/Regs XXX on the labataille.us site.

Good point about having the units stacked with a leader. Yes, those units are not considered out of command for Regroup purposes. You could use William's CP to create an MU of his stack or his ADC's stack to allow them maneuver. Alternatively, you could move those two leaders away from the Nassau troops when the leader chit is drawn, and that would enable the Nassau troops to move during Regroup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Paul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.