6 Posts

Kanagawa» Forums » Rules

Subject: When is a player forced to take the remaining lesson cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Hirschman
United States
flag msg tools
I read a related post but I’m still confused about when a player has to take the remaining lesson cards.
Example of a two player game: At the start of the game two cards are placed in the first row. Player 1 takes the card in the first column. Player 2 decides not to take the card in the second column and passes.
1) Next only one card is placed in the second row and it is placed below the remaining card in the second column. Correct?
2) Assuming two cards are now in the second column and player 2 passes again. At that point does player 2 have to take both cards in the second column, or can a third card be placed in the third row under the two cards in the second column at which point player 2 has to take those three cards?
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
Media & Public Relations at IELLO France
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To make this as simple as possible: if every player but one take only one card from the board, the other player must take 2 cards (and can't pass to get a third one).

I think that's actually the only case when this rule really applies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hirschman
United States
flag msg tools
Thanks for your answer, but I thought the only time you are required to take the cards is when the three rows on the board are full. That is mentioned on page 13 of the rules in bold. I guess I'm still confused by this issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I thought the only time you are required to take the cards is when the three rows on the board are full.

No, that is only one of the 2 possible cases. You must take cards when either you are the last player who still takes lessons (so you are only allowed to get, at most, 1 card more than the others), or there are cards in all 3 rows (school closes, no more lessons today).

Quote:

You best ignore that part of the answer, it is confusing as it ignores the "school is over" scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rich10 wrote:
Thanks for your answer, but I thought the only time you are required to take the cards is when the three rows on the board are full. That is mentioned on page 13 of the rules in bold. I guess I'm still confused by this issue.
Well, it's just another way to tell this rule (page 8): " If you are the last player still at school in the beginning of this step, you must put your knowledge into practice. If you are the last player still at school in the beginning of this step, you must put your knowledge into practice.". The important part being: "in the beginning of this step".

So you have to take the cards:
- when there are 3 in every remaining columns and you haven't picked any at this round
- OR when you're the only player who hasn't picked cards when the second card is added on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PunTheHun wrote:
You must take cards when either you are the last player who still takes lessons
in the beginning of turn!
I think this is really what confuses people here: if you're the last player and everyone before takes cards, you don't have to take the last one(s) before another one is added in this column (well, except if there's already 3 cards, of course).

Quote:

You best ignore that part of the answer, it is confusing as it ignores the "school is over" scenario.[/q]Oh, I thought the "school is over" rule was pretty clear, and wanted to clarify the "I'm the only player left" one. Sorry if it added more confusion. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.