11 Posts

Forbidden Island» Forums » General

Subject: my thoughts on my first playthrough/Am I playing this right? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
I just got this game recently and have played my first solo session. There are some things (just one thing) I want to go over;

my main problem of this game is that there are only 3 "water rises" card and a very light (smaller deck) treasure card deck and on these treasure cards are the relics of the Island that you need to collect in order to win all 4 of the treasures and escaping via helicopter on Fools landing

So if there are only three cards that are a threat to the island and the rest are all treasure cards, what's the point on having to go through the "draw 2 treasure cards phase" if you know that you have gotten all cards and all there is left in the discard pile are the water cards?

Because of this, when I have a low amount of Island cards in the discard pile and another "water rise" shows up shortly, then those Islands that were once flooded the first time that they were drawn are now gone from the game. At one point at the beginning, one of the 6 cards was the Fools landing, during the treasure phase a water rise card appeared, put the discard pile back to the deck and the next set of flood cards was the fools' landing again and the rules say that that is one way to lose. So as my first solo run, I say forget that - it doesn't count

now am I playing this game right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim S
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like maybe you missed the 5 card hand limit rule? It's nearly impossible to capture all four treasures the first time through the deck because you can never hold more than 5 cards at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also remember that even though you found an artifact, those cards stay in the deck/discard pile. Don't remove them from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
scarecrowking wrote:
Also remember that even though you found an artifact, those cards stay in the deck/discard pile. Don't remove them from the game.

But the rule states that to claim an artifact you must land on the tile and discard the 4 cards to get the artifact. Once you get it, there is no reason that those 4 cards should be in the discard pile (and shuffle if needed). once you find the artifact, those cards are useless...unless, maybe you need to keep these cards going in the deck so you wouldn't end up with just three of the water rise cards.

so I guess even if you discard four cards for all the treasures, you keep on dealing cards while you make your way to the helicopter tile and take off while the water rise cards are imminent?

Did I get that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, just keep cycling through them. Otherwise the Waters Rise cards will be coming up one after the other. Keep all treasure cards in the deck, even after you find the treasure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
scarecrowking wrote:
Yep, just keep cycling through them. Otherwise the Waters Rise cards will be coming up one after the other. Keep all treasure cards in the deck, even after you find the treasure.

If I can shuffle the treasure deck by using the pandemic method deal three or the required number of piles and set the water rise cards on each pile, then shuffle them into one deck, would that make that part of the game more balanced so you can have an even equal probability with the treasure card to the card threat ratio?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, there is no requirement for that in FI. You shuffle the deck as one whole entity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Go the Mighty Chiefs!
mbmbmbmbmb
scarecrowking wrote:
Yes the reason you keep the no-longer-required treasure cards in the deck, and keep drawing treasure cards and cycling the deck even when you have all the treasures, is that this is the mechanism the game uses to control the timing of the "waters rise".

PS: If I play this solo, I usually play as 2 characters; this makes it more interesting and allows for the need to pass treasure cards between the characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
scarecrowking wrote:
Yes the reason you keep the no-longer-required treasure cards in the deck, and keep drawing treasure cards and cycling the deck even when you have all the treasures, is that this is the mechanism the game uses to control the timing of the "waters rise".

PS: If I play this solo, I usually play as 2 characters; this makes it more interesting and allows for the need to pass treasure cards between the characters.

I feel that with Leacock-made co-ops, especially with hand management like in Pandemic and this game, that playing as more players by yourself is more managable than all by your self, but that could just be me. Of course, there IS an official ruleset on Pandemic solo, but that requires an expansion and pulls roles out of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pretty close except for the 5 card hand limit, artifacts, and a little thing here and there, but another go will fix those.

What I find helpful is reading the rules again after playing the first game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B-Rad
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timxrb wrote:
It sounds like maybe you missed the 5 card hand limit rule? It's nearly impossible to capture all four treasures the first time through the deck because you can never hold more than 5 cards at a time.

This is so crucial. The first two times I played with a friend, we won handily, but then we realized on another read-through that we couldn't have 10 cards in-hand.

laugh

This makes it much harder since you can't claim 2 treasures on your consecutive turns, save for one or two special instances I can think of.

Other than that, the re-shuffling of the Flood Deck after a Waters Rise card (excluding cards that are already sunken) keep the challenge up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.