Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Voorter
Belgium
Dilsen-Stokkem
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well it's that time of year again..

I'm going to a boardgame convention in the Netherlands (Spellenspektakel) and every year I ask myself the same question: should I buy Catan or not?

I've played it with some friends a long time ago and I always thought it was fun but... there are so many other great games within the same price range. cry

On the other hand, I see Catan as the (grand)father of all the games I love to play today, so It feels like a moral obligation to have it in my collection.

Any thoughts/recommandations are welcome! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Krueger
msg tools
mbmbmb
I was of a similar mindset a few years ago, and I finally broke down and got it. If you have fun with it go for it. With a particular group of my friends, it gets a LOT of playing time, and remains the top choice in games to play.

I would say - see what the likes of your group are and get something that fits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a world of limited resources, I don't think one should have a game in their collection simply out of obligation. Have it if you are interested in playing it. By a game you want to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the feeling. I had a copy of El Grande sitting on my shelf for several years. It took me so long to let it go because area control is one of my favorite mechanics and the game is such a classic, considered by many "the" area control game. And Wolfgang Kramer is one of my two favorite designers, but the few times I played the game, it was usually someone else's copy and suggestion. I played my copy just once. I enjoyed these few plays, but I always considered the game too chaotic for my tastes. Nonetheless, I still felt a bit sad for selling it.

However, if you think your group will like Catan and you can get some plays out of it, just get it. I've realized that it's better to regret buying a game then to regret not buying it. And it will probably keep nagging you at the back of your head until you do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob S.
msg tools
mbmb
pianogeek1234 wrote:
I was of a similar mindset a few years ago, and I finally broke down and got it. If you have fun with it go for it. With a particular group of my friends, it gets a LOT of playing time, and remains the top choice in games to play.

I would say - see what the likes of your group are and get something that fits.

+1 this.

I've been buying and playing numerous new games in my weekly gaming group and I finally hit a wall with always learning new rules. I have trouble getting Catan to the table with this group but have another bi-weekly/bi-monthly group that is still excited about Catan + Seafarers + Cities and Knights. I'm looking forward to re-prioritizing my choices on games I already know how to play, at least for awhile. I would not feel excited to play Catan without the expansions however.

So, if you like Catan and have at least two others that feel the same, then go for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonasVoorter wrote:
It feels like a moral obligation to have it in my collection.

If that is your main reason for buying it: don't. I was once in a similar situation, but I realized that I like many other games better than Settlers (really, who ever calls this Catan?). Plus, lots of people have it anyway, so if I want to play it with other people, chances are good we can use their copy.

It's a good game, it was groundbreaking, and its impact on boardgame design and the market cannot be overstated. I am thankful and respectful for all of that. But there are dozens of games I would rather play, so I see no point in getting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My recommendation: Buy a used copy. We're talking about Catan here, so if you check eBay, there are dozens of copies at any given moment, and everything but deluxe editions tend to sell for prices between 1 and 5€. If all subjective moral obligations could be fulfilled that easily, we'd probably all be pooping rainbows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Helton
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randombias wrote:
My recommendation: Buy a used copy. We're talking about Catan here, so if you check eBay, there are dozens of copies at any given moment, and everything but deluxe editions tend to sell for prices between 1 and 5€. If all subjective moral obligations could be fulfilled that easily, we'd probably all be pooping rainbows.

Agreed.
It is a good gateway game to get those potential gamers into our hobby.
After you have them hooked, then you can get them to play better, more involving games like Terra Mystica, Cyclades, Eclipse.
(And from there, the sky's the limit!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markhelton wrote:
Randombias wrote:

Agreed.
It is a good gateway game to get those potential gamers into our hobby.
After you have them hooked, then you can get them to play better, more involving games like Terra Mystica, Cyclades, Eclipse.
(And from there, the sky's the limit!)

Catan (I refer to it as Settlers - a much better name!) is the game that got me hooked on the hobby many years ago! It is a classic, and I believe worthy to be in anyone's collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonasVoorter wrote:
On the other hand, I see Catan as the (grand)father of all the games I love to play today, so It feels like a moral obligation to have it in my collection.

I'm not a "tradition for tradition's sake" kind of person, so I say perish the thought and be hindered by this curse of obligation no longer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Voorter
Belgium
Dilsen-Stokkem
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm sorry for using Catan instead of Settlers. Catan sounded a little bit better in my titlelaugh

Lot of opinions! Thanks for that!

I feel like a used copy could be a good idea. I would fulfill this moral obligation and have some reserve for some other great games!

It was my first thread on bgg and I was pretty nervous at first. But your reactions were really helpful and kind. I really appreciate that! (But could I expect anything else from people with this amazing hobby meeple )

Anyway...

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools

Get it and play it. Excellent game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skip it.

I played it once, thought it was great. Bought a copy and played it again and felt meh. Played again and just felt I have better games that scratch the same itch. Sold it for more than I payed, yeah!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JonasVoorter wrote:
I'm sorry for using Catan instead of Settlers.

Don't be. Catan is the official name now. FWIW, no-one in my country calls it by any other name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy what you like. I don't have Catan in my collection and I'm okay with that. Played it a couple times and it was fine, but for me there are many other games I'd choose before that.

Just consider whether you will play it often enough to make it worth having. In the end, it's your money, your collection, and your choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I only own Catan because somebody contacted me (on BGG) about trading it for a much-lower value game that I had decided wasn't for me. Even though I didn't seek it out, I don't regret it at all. While it's not my favorite game, I like it fine. And I do think it makes a perfectly fine gateway game to play with friends new to gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Buy it if you think it will fill/help shore up a hole in your current collection. Don't buy Catan just because it's Catan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Chinatown! The whole game is like the fun trading part of Catan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great suggestion to buy it used. At least that way you'd have it in your collection, and if you decide to get rid of it it's no big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonasVoorter wrote:
Well it's that time of year again..

I'm going to a boardgame convention in the Netherlands (Spellenspektakel) and every year I ask myself the same question: should I buy Catan or not?

I've played it with some friends a long time ago and I always thought it was fun but... there are so many other great games within the same price range. cry

Any thoughts/recommandations are welcome! meeple

Catan is the "new Monopoly", meaning that it's a classic, but also outdated.

If it's just decoration for your shelf, don't buy it. Games are meant to be played, not to collect dust.

If you are interested in buying a used copy: I am trying to sell my Catan collection which is as good as new (only played 3 times), consisting of: Catan, Catan: Seafarers and Die Siedler von Catan: Historische Szenarien. It's the German edition though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still a good game. Worth getting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
Kyur wrote:

Blasphemy!

I agree that he shouldn't buy the game solely out of obligation, but there's no need to call the game names just to prove a point!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
Kyur wrote:

Blasphemy!

I agree that he shouldn't buy the game solely out of obligation, but there's no need to call the game names just to prove a point!

The game was really impactful to the hobby and fantastic for years when it first came out, but seriously, it's 21 years old and didn't age very well. The way that resources are generated is too random and often really frustrating.

Stone Age for example shows a modernised approach of dice-based resource generation in a way that is much fairer and interesting, since it's a combination having more control (=interesting decisions) and pushing your luck at the same time.

Catan was fun back then (my family played it for years almost every weekend) and a landmark of our hobby, but I left the island many years ago and never looked back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
Kyur wrote:
(my family played it for years almost every weekend)

Witness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.