$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 108.71

6,739 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
42.5% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Stocking Stuffers for Coworkers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
AJ
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have to get some small gifts for coworkers. Luckily two of them are starting to get into board games (typically lighter stuff from what I understand).

I've found several games in the price range (around $20), but of them have only played Codenames. Which of the following do you think is the best choice? From what I know, both play with their significant other, but also play with other couples pretty often.

Star Realms
The Manhattan Project: Chain Reaction
Forbidden Island
Patchwork
Sushi Go!
Codenames
Innovation (Third Edition)

Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Patchwork and Innovation are the ones in this list that are best with two.

Sushi Go and Codenames are great with 4. Don't think you can go wrong with either of these.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms is 2p, but if someone is just starting to get into board games, I don't think this would work well, and it's likely too attack-ey for some couples.

Forbidden Island works with 2, is co-op (so a different play style than they might be used to), and has neat pieces. Could be good.

Patchwork is 2p, has a relate-able theme and fun componenents, and is approachable with rules and play length.

Codenames - we didn't enjoy our 2p game of it. With other couples it coule be fun.

Innovation - good for 2p, but might be too much for someone just starting out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ajsoares wrote:
(typically lighter stuff from what I understand).

Sounds like you don't have enough first hand information. Gifting games could be too presumptuous. How about a nice fruitcake?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Macmillan
Canada
flag msg tools
I've bee recommending these three game a lot lately,

Hanabi
Jungle Speed
Bohnanza
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of inexpensive small box card game fillers that are excellent and cost around 10 dollars a piece:

Coloretto which plays 2 to 5

No Thanks! which plays 3 to 5.

Both will easily fit into a stocking and both are very easy to learn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ct5150 wrote:
ajsoares wrote:
(typically lighter stuff from what I understand).

Sounds like you don't have enough first hand information. Gifting games could be too presumptuous. How about a nice fruitcake?


Fruitcake > boardgames?

LOL - I do know these coworkers very well... and am pretty familiar with everything they've tried so far though we've yet to play together. They currently play lighter games (Pandemic, Flashpoint, Puerto Rico, TTR etc), but are looking to try out some heavier games soon :-)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Busani Games wrote:
I've bee recommending these three game a lot lately,

Hanabi
Jungle Speed
Bohnanza


Thanks I'll check them out!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
Star Realms is 2p, but if someone is just starting to get into board games, I don't think this would work well, and it's likely too attack-ey for some couples.

Forbidden Island works with 2, is co-op (so a different play style than they might be used to), and has neat pieces. Could be good.

Patchwork is 2p, has a relate-able theme and fun componenents, and is approachable with rules and play length.

Codenames - we didn't enjoy our 2p game of it. With other couples it coule be fun.

Innovation - good for 2p, but might be too much for someone just starting out.


Good point on Codenames - the time I played it was with 6 (which was fun)... not sure they'd get more than 4 together enough. I'm at this point leaning towards Innovation/Star Realms for the one who has tried Puerto Rico (and whose gf is also already enjoying games)... Possibly Patchwork for the other one (who has played more TTR level stuff and is trying to find a game that will get his gf playing more)... what do you guys think?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think forbideen island or star realms would be good choices. I think innovation is a bit too difficult to learn for a newb.

What about just giving them a gift card to FLGS or OLGS?

other good stocking stuffers are fillers-
Incan Gold
Martian Dice
Red7
Good Cop Bad Cop

For 2 players only-
Lost Cities
Battle Line
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
djn1981 wrote:
I think forbideen island or star realms would be good choices. I think innovation is a bit too difficult to learn for a newb.

What about just giving them a gift card to FLGS or OLGS?

other good stocking stuffers are fillers-
Incan Gold
Martian Dice
Red7
Good Cop Bad Cop

For 2 players only-
Lost Cities
Battle Line


Cool - will check these out too. I really hate getting people gift cards... The fun for me is in the actual researching (like now) and trying to find the right gift (hence I have to start now... two months before xmas) :-)

Thanks for the input on Innovation - I've never played it, so it's hard for me to gauge whether it will be a good fit for them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's not forget Love Letter!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.