Eldritch Horror: The Dreamlands» Forums » News

Subject: The investigators of the dreamlands rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Source: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/11/4/the-dre...

Overall components
Spoiler (click to reveal)

William Yorick

Amanda Sharpe

Assets

Talents

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soooooooooo.... Amanda starts with a talent that gives her another talent which she can use to turn into a skill point and then turn that into a talent which will activate quick study and giver her ANOTHER talent .... ad nauseum?

That seems suuuuuper stronk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Setup is outside the round structure, so "once per round" effects don't trigger, so she might not start with an extra talent from Quick Study.

But once she gets one skillup from somewhere to turn into a talent, the engine will chug along as you describe, yeah. Sounds fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We also haven't seen any of the backs of Quick Study - might be hard to keep it going depending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
Setup is outside the round structure, so "once per round" effects don't trigger, so she mightdoes not start with an extra talent from Quick Study.
Amanda's starting possessions and skills are guaranteed to generate countless questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Eldritch Horror to Eldritch Horror: The Dreamlands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Texas / Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a thumbsup for the cat expansion icon. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
Moved from Eldritch Horror to Eldritch Horror: The Dreamlands.

Hello Liam, you are right I technically posted this thread in the wrong forum but I did it on purpose! As the forum for the expansion doesn't exist for a long time my assumption was that a lot more people would read this post in the forum for the base game because it has probably much more subsriptions.
All other topics (general/rules/...) would be of course posted in the forum for the dreamlands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
haroth9842 wrote:
Weltenreiter wrote:
Setup is outside the round structure, so "once per round" effects don't trigger, so she mightdoes not start with an extra talent from Quick Study.
Amanda's starting possessions and skills are guaranteed to generate countless questions.

Yeah she seems preety complex. I hope FFG refine her wording better to prevent confusion. Here's how I am understanding it.

Amanda has an encounter in Rome and gets to improve her Will. Instead she chooses to gain a Talent and uses her quick study talent to instead gain 2 talents. She draws 2 new talents and then flips her quick study talent to suffer whatever consequences there be. Either way she now has 3 talents.

Next turn in the action phase she decides she wants different talents so she activates her component action and discards her 2 newly acquired talents but instead of improving her skills she uses her passive ability to draw 2 new talents (which could end up being the 2 she just discarded because she had to shuffle them back into the deck first) and again uses her Quick study talent to acquire an extra talent. So now she has 4 talents total.

If she did the same next turn she could have 5 talents by the end of it. Then she could use her action ability to improve 4 of her skills in one go.

Very interesting character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrimGuvna wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:
Weltenreiter wrote:

Yeah she seems preety complex. I hope FFG refine her wording better to prevent confusion.
In my opinion the only tricky thing is the starting Quick Study. No amount of rewording will help here, but I'm 98% FAQ will cover it.
Her abilities are worded perfectly. If you have an idea how can their descriptions be further improved, I would be very happy to read it.

From what I've seen on the forums, it looks like when some players encounter a synergy, a "combo", they worry that this may an oversight, and that exploiting it would be cheating. So they want to make sure if the synergy is intended.
I think this would the main source of questions about Amanda's abilities, not the alleged complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
haroth9842 wrote:
In my opinion the only tricky thing is the starting Quick Study. No amount of rewording will help here, but I'm 98% FAQ will cover it.
Maybe we get fairness for Joe Diamond (compared to Lily with that one prelude) out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Roux Van Der Vyver
msg tools
She certainly seems interesting. Since you need the initial skill improvement or talent gain to get the ball rolling she doesn't seem overpowered. And in order to talent/skill mill you need to be spending actions and flipping that quick study so its a different form of risk reward.

Very excited to try her!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
soooooooooo.... Amanda starts with a talent that gives her another talent which she can use to turn into a skill point and then turn that into a talent which will activate quick study and giver her ANOTHER talent .... ad nauseum?

That seems suuuuuper stronk.

Quick study specifies "once per round" So no craziness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leroux13 wrote:
She certainly seems interesting. Since you need the initial skill improvement or talent gain to get the ball rolling she doesn't seem overpowered. And in order to talent/skill mill you need to be spending actions and flipping that quick study so its a different form of risk reward.

Very excited to try her!

I just love that the student is going to combo like crazy with the professor. Makes me wonder about her starting location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.