Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We definitely didn't take the same approach that Sherlock. We wound up using
Spoiler (click to reveal)
leads instead of Shelock's
One of those clues was a freebie.
We even mused that a GOOD detective follows every lead instead of just jumping to quick conclusions.

But we got to the questions and found we could answer every one correctly... We didn't count the last answer, though because we hadn't actually
found the earring in our readings, but we did know that's how to obtain the easy $10.

So we wound up with a score of 105, beating Sherlock.

Funny cuz we thought we were using an excessive number of clues, but just wanted to go until we felt we had a good handle on the answer, especially for our first case. Turned out, we were fine.

And now, I'm hooked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played SHCD so far, but the mechanically similar Mythos Tales. In that one, we figured it would be far more important (and interesting) for us to get a good score than having only as many locations as the competing detective (Prof. Armitage).

Glad to hear that this is (or seems to be) the same with SHCD - makes me want to play it even more, now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
I have not played SHCD so far, but the mechanically similar Mythos Tales. In that one, we figured it would be far more important (and interesting) for us to get a good score than having only as many locations as the competing detective (Prof. Armitage).

Glad to hear that this is (or seems to be) the same with SHCD - makes me want to play it even more, now...

For all cases, every extra clue you take is -5 points.
Also, there are 2 sets of questions (that you don't get to look at until you're ready to give an answer.) The first set is to prove you know the right answer and getting them all right will give you a base score equal to Sherlock's (but then you subtract for extra clues.) The second set of questions are bonus points.

In the first scenario, here is the point breakdown:
Sherlock's score is 100. He used 4 leads.
The first set of 4 questions are each worth 25 points.
I don't the details for the second set, but I think they were 10 points each

Instead of playing for one score, each team/individual can submit an individual guess instead.
Also, I've heard it isn't common to get to Sherlock's score (and isn't uncommon to get negative points.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for that breakdown!
It is comparable with the scoring of Mythos Tales, where you get points depending on the difficulty of the question, and get deducted points for each location you need in addition to the number of locations Prof. Armitage visits. There is no differentiation between a first and second set of questions, but it is relatively easy to differentiate between those important to the case, and those concerning additional information (bonus content, so to speak). Scores are much lower, though, with questions awarding between 1 and 5 points, and additional locations deducting 1 point from your total.

Is there any indication in SHCD of how well you did, apart from comparison to Sherlock Holmes' score? Like "if you have x points or more, you are really good" or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the info on Mythos Tales. I'll add that to my wishlist.
And there is no score chart included that I've seen.
The best I've seen is comparing with others' scores on BGG or at the local store. Haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The very first thing is to get the right solution, regardless of points. If you do not get the right solution, you have lost. The big decision here is deciding when you have enough clues to be sure of your solution, with the classic questions of who, what, when, where, and why answered.

The next thing is to compare how well you did with Sherlock, in terms of number of clues read. Sherlock is supposed to be the ideal that one is striving for. At first I think it is best to think of this as a fantasy goal when everything goes right.

The other sets of questions are for icing on the cake, each can be a dead end, a red herring, a real insight into this case, or rarely a clue for another case that comes later. That is, other things are happening in the game besides the specific case you are working on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.