Hide
7 Posts

Win, Place & Show» Forums » Rules

Subject: Apprentice Allowance Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
E.A. Neyer
msg tools
Sorry if this has been asked already, but I had a question regarding the apprentice jockey allowance for the 3M edition of Win, Place, & Show.
In the rules it states, "An Apprentice jockey gets an Apprentice Allowance of 2 additional squares to use on any one move during the race."
Does this mean he can take these bonus squares only once for each race, or does it mean he can take two bonus squares once on each move?
The way the rule is phrased, I would interpret it that the apprentice can only take the bonus spaces once each race, but I don't really see how it would help the apprentice jockey that much. Maybe this rule is made a little clearer in the Avalon Hill rules.
I'd appreciate it if anyone could provide some clarification.
Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

One time only during the race.
The AH rules (if not in the 3M) also allow the 2 points to be split up and used 1 at a time on two different turns if you wish. You may find this really useful.
It's mostly useful for helping you to land on a passing lane as you approach a corner, or when you're in danger of being locked up behind a cluster of horses (even on a straight-away).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Apprentice jockeys get the bonus once per race, as the rule says "....to use on any one move during the race". It's not intended to help the apprentices much, only a little touch to even the game a bit.

Think of it as the enthusiasm of youth -- most often it's not enough to overcome the greater skill (maneuverability) of the experienced jockeys, but now and then an apprentice is in the right position at the right time and that little burst of speed is just enough to make a difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It can help a little. You could use it to cross the finish line if you were 2 spaces short to win the race. That would be awesome. I think it is to help offset the Apprentice jockeys lane movement restrictions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.A. Neyer
msg tools
Thanks so much, everybody! That was what I had thought, but it's nice to be sure.
It's also good to know about the AH rule of splitting the bonus spaces up on two different turns, if need be. I didn't know that; appreciate the info.
Again, thanks for all your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Shoe
msg tools
new user
As Justin pointed out, the apprentice bonus can NOT be split, it has to be taken in one turn. If you have the rules, it's under 6.7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Oops! shake
This true.
We must have house-ruled that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.