Codex: Card-Time Strategy» Forums » General

Subject: Excessive price tag - expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is no train. There are only 2 expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solipsiste wrote:
I avoided the Deluxe edition with its shocking price tag. I did acquire the Core set. I thought the price tag was fine with solid components, but with only 2 factions, expansion quickly becomes a must.

Now... The first expansion has arrived in my store. It's 15$ less than... the Core set. 50$ CAN for 2 factions card sets.

I feel like I was cheated. I mean, if I compare to, say, Summoner Wars, acquiring factions is way too pricey.

I did not buy the expansion, and now, I will sell my Core set. No way I'm getting on this train given the cost...

I don't see where is the problem? The expansion has pretty much the same stuff than the core set except the binders and the boards (ince why it is 15$ cheaper).

And if you compare Summoner Wars price expansions vs Codex expansion price, SW is more expansive. SW expansion cost 10$ for 35 cards (0.29$ per card), while codex expansion cost 40$ for 172 cards (+tokens), so less than 0.23$ per cards.

Also, Codex has like way more replay value than SW and is way more fun (but that's my opinion)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that the codex expansions has 6 factions (specs in it). The game just happens to make you use three simultaniously (which is awesome).

I am not sure what the point of this thread is. Do you want us to try and talk you into keeping the game? Or just complain to put pressure on the publisher to decrease the price?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:
Solipsiste wrote:
I avoided the Deluxe edition with its shocking price tag. I did acquire the Core set. I thought the price tag was fine with solid components, but with only 2 factions, expansion quickly becomes a must.

Now... The first expansion has arrived in my store. It's 15$ less than... the Core set. 50$ CAN for 2 factions card sets.

I feel like I was cheated. I mean, if I compare to, say, Summoner Wars, acquiring factions is way too pricey.

I did not buy the expansion, and now, I will sell my Core set. No way I'm getting on this train given the cost...

I don't see where is the problem? The expansion has pretty much the same stuff than the core set except the binders and the boards (ince why it is 15$ cheaper).

And if you compare Summoner Wars price expansions vs Codex expansion price, SW is more expansive. SW expansion cost 10$ for 35 cards (0.29$ per card), while codex expansion cost 40$ for 172 cards (+tokens), so less than 0.23$ per cards.

Also, Codex has like way more replay value than SW and is way more fun (but that's my opinion)

Yeah that point about Summoner Wars being cheaper is completely ridiculous. Summoner Wars is one of the most expensive games in the genre on the market. And buying one of those $10 (which has cheap quality and art imo) card packs isn't even a complete play set. If you want complete building options you got to buy 2-3 packs of the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. Strathmeyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solipsiste wrote:
I feel like I was cheated.

I don't remember any promises about the retail price of the game. Sirlin is an established publisher, but they're not a big publisher by any means, and Jonathan has kindly shown it's very comparable to Summoner Wars.

UPDATE: Looks like prices were pre-announced at $50 per expansion: Re: HYPE! White and Purple Factions Now Included in the Deluxe Set!

Wildhorn wrote:
I don't see where is the problem?

Me neither! I bought the game and am quite happy with it. I have only played with the two basic heroes so far, but I'm already seeing a ton of tactical choices. Reading through all the cards (I got the deluxe set) is seriously overwhelming. I feel like I have to choose a single color and play it a few dozen times to really dig into the possibilities.

On a meta-topic: I subscribed to this game on BGG to keep on top of the news/strategy. My subscription is being overwhelmed by people complaining. The Sirlin forums seem to have a much higher signal to noise ratio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Perry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
strathmeyer wrote:
On a meta-topic: I subscribed to this game on BGG to keep on top of the news/strategy. My subscription is being overwhelmed by people complaining. The Sirlin forums seem to have a much higher signal to noise ratio.
Why not subscribe to just the news and strategy subforums?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dunn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's another problem: Summoner Wars isn't a good game, but Codex is an incredible one. *IMO of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solipsiste wrote:

I'm not going to say this game is inexpensive, but I don't see anything wrong with the price. There are many games that are much more costly if you get everything for it.

Now, if you take a look at Yomi... Just joking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.