Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two active players only, or anyone giving support as well?

We played our first two games yesterday with five players. During the first, we were doing only the active players. Once we got the game down, we tried it with all involved, and agreed it was a much better game that way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 5: "If accepted, the offered character joins that player's side and remains in the participating position."

Page 8: "The character card can be played during its specified timing for its effect only when the corresponding character is participating in the encounter."

I think it's clear that you don't have to be a main player to play a character. The rulebook very consistently uses the word participating to refer to all characters involved.

I think there was also an example during a preview article of a player supporting the loser with Olenna just so they could play their Spite card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh Thanks! As a matter of fact, I played with Olenna myself during the first game. She was my own pick, and luckily she came up at random! Everyone was impressed by her, even though I didn't win. For the second game, we just picked our own leaders, which also works.

Its a fun little game. And could take many expansions, if you allowed minor factions or allies as well. (Some of these are included in the small expansions of Battles of Westeros, also by FFG, even though they only made three of the major houses).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah.. I hope we get Greyjoy and Martell, and maybe increase to six characters in each house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Roberts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So character cards can be played as a supporting player but what about hostility cards? Can supporting players also play these to reinforce their sides? This is not clear in the manual but could significantly impact play. Anyone from FFG care to clarify this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Belevoix wrote:
So character cards can be played as a supporting player but what about hostility cards? Can supporting players also play these to reinforce their sides? This is not clear in the manual but could significantly impact play.

I don't see really anything unclear about that.

Every time rulebook says anything about any cards being played by all participating players during encounter, it only mentions character cards.

Every time rulebook says anything about either hostility cards, or house cards in general being played or revealed during encounter, it only mentions "active players" or "challenger and defender" as the ones who play them.

I'm quite certain, though, that we will see the equivalent of reinforcement cards in the very first expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Roberts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So character cards can be played as a supporting player but what about hostility cards? Can supporting players also play these to reinforce their sides? This is not clear in the manual but could significantly impact play. Anyone from FFG care to clarify this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belevoix wrote:

See above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Roberts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perf wrote:
Belevoix wrote:
So character cards can be played as a supporting player but what about hostility cards? Can supporting players also play these to reinforce their sides? This is not clear in the manual but could significantly impact play.

Every time rulebook says anything about any cards being played by all participating players during encounter, it only mentions character cards.

Every time rulebook says anything about either hostility cards, or house cards in general being played or revealed during encounter, it only mentions "active players" or "challenger and defender" as the ones who play them.

I'm quite certain, though, that we will see the equivalent of reinforcement cards in the very first expansion.

Ok let me pin that down. Does a supporting player, a participating player, become therefore an active player by virtue of supporting? If so does that allow hostility cards to be played? If they'd said challenger/defender only I'd agree that would make it clear only character cards could be played by supporting players. However, as the manual often says active players, I'm less clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belevoix wrote:
Perf wrote:
Belevoix wrote:

Ok let me pin that down. Does a supporting player, a participating player, become therefore an active player by virtue of supporting? If so does that allow hostility cards to be played? If they'd said challenger/defender only I'd agree that would make it clear only character cards could be played by supporting players. However, as the manual often says active players, I'm less clear.

The challenger and defender each secretly choose and place one
house card from their own hands facedown in front of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Belevoix wrote:

If you are asking for a definition of active player, then the quote below seems to clearly describe who the active players are - and that there are still only two active players after supporting players are selected, which wouldn't be the case if supporting player = active player.

(Emphasis original.)

Rulebook p. 04, "Turn Overview" section:
"Each encounter involves two ACTIVE PLAYERS, a challenger and a
defender. These two players each select one of their characters to
participate in the encounter.

Then each of the other players in the game receives the opportunity
to support one of the two active players by selecting and offering a
character of their own.

Finally, each of the active players secretly chooses a house
card. These two cards combined with the power present on the
participating characters determines which side wins the encounter
and which side loses."

Section describing in details the encounter phase of the turn (i.e. when the supporting players already joined) also mentions not only "two active players", but also "both active players" more than once.

Rulebook p. 06, "Hostility" subsection:
"It occurs when both active players
reveal hostility cards [...]"

Rulebook p. 06, "Truce" subsection:
"It occurs when both active players
reveal truce cards [...]"

(Emphasis below original.)

"During a truce outcome, the two active
players
enter a discussion [...]"

Referring to the quote above - which two of the active players enter a discussion, if we assume there can be more than two?

There are also other quotes when the manual refers to active players in a way that wouldn't make much sense if there were more than two of them, or if supporting player = active player.

Rulebook p. 05, "Choosing sides" section:
"While receiving support can definitely provide a large
advantage in the encounter, each supporting character
receives the same rewards for winning as the active player."

Rulebook p. 06, "Betrayal" subsection:
"Betrayal occurs when one active player reveals a hostility card and
the other reveals a truce card."

Etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Masters
England
flag msg tools
#!STRING_NOT_FOUND!#
badge
Son of Jor-El
mbmbmbmbmb
Put simply, the attacker and the defender are the ACTIVE players. Anybody else that gets involved is a SUPPORTING player.

Only ACTIVE players may play hostility or truce cards. SUPPORTING players can play character cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.