1 , 2  Next »   | 

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Does this game worth buying for solo playing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmb
I been reading the kinda mixed reviews of the game , and i couldn't get to a decision so I ask you guys , does the game worth it just for solo play ? I have no problems with bookkeeping since I do all my gaming by myself so I could use the two automa variant , but anyway what do you scythe fans say ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YES.

The Automa is a brilliant design and makes the solo game and absolute delight to play. Add in another Automa and you have yourself a full, busy map with fierce competition. Get it, you won't regret it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dgenclass wrote:
I been reading the kinda mixed reviews of the game , and i couldn't get to a decision so I ask you guys , does the game worth it just for solo play ? I have no problems with bookkeeping since I do all my gaming by myself so I could use the two automa variant , but anyway what do you scythe fans say ?

The good news: I'd say that the automa is one of the best card AI systems to-date. It's a bit tricky to get it going, but once you become familiar with the unit placement/movement rules (the only ones which are a bit unintuitive), it's quite easy to make it work, and it's brilliant for an AI card deck.

The not so good news: However, I would say that Scythe works better with more than two players (especially when the two factions are far away, so it feels more like a 1v1 solo race). So if you are looking fwd to using more than one automa deck (don't know much about this variant so I can't advise you on how well it works), that should definitely enhance the overall solo experience.

What I would tell you is: confirm that you would like Scythe like the engine building/reosurce management/area control game it is, with some extras (like limited player interaction, but it is not close to the 4x it's alleged to be, and combat is not a game focus). If you think you would, then maybe you'll probably enjoy the solo variant.

In my case, I own Scythe and have enjoyed it, but honestly, I do not find it as amazing as many people seem to do. I guess it's value is way more subtle than it meets the eye, and I haven't logged enough games to consider it a a superb game yet (maybe in the future, maybe not).

On a sidenote, I see you have the KD:M Dragon King avatar. I am in love with KD:M; for me it's a solo and boardgaming experience as good as it gets, and i'd honestly say FOR ME it's miles better than playing Scythe solo -don't get me wrong, I don't mean KD:M is a better game by itself. In fact since these two games have nothing to do one with the other, no real comparison would be accurate. What I mean is that I would play KDM any time and I wouldn't do solo Scythe always - just in case that you favour Ameritrash games (KD:M) over euros (which Scythe is much closer to, despite having minis and mechs and other stuff).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is most definitely worth it for Solo play. I would say though that playing with 2 automa is a much better experience than playing with one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes yes yes and yes

The automatic works wonder. True, it's tenser when you have 2 factions that are close. But even if you're own the other side of the board, even though you won't see that much combat, you'll feel the pressure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmb
Shu1984 wrote:
dgenclass wrote:

The good news: I'd say that the automa is one of the best card AI systems to-date. It's a bit tricky to get it going, but once you become familiar with the unit placement/movement rules (the only ones which are a bit unintuitive), it's quite easy to make it work, and it's brilliant for an AI card deck.

Yea I'm a KDM fan , love the game, but I been trying to expand my board gaming genre , and this game looks like it has a mix of ameritrash and euro , as a KDM fan . Do you think h Ai is on par with the KDM one ? Or is it different ? Btw are you from Spain ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were rating it for the solo play alone, and I haven't tried multiple automa yet, I'd be rating the game 9/10 - At present I'm planning on voting it my #3 solo game in the Solo Games Of All Time vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely worth it for solo play in my opinion. One of my favourite games to play solo. I do prefer to play with two automas, but both versions are fun. You can find more opinions in these other threads:

How does it play solo?
Man Vs Machine: A Ten Game Solo Retrospective
Solo Mode Opinions?
worth it just for solo play?

If you enjoy efficiency, area control and asymmetric powers this just might be the game for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with 4 Automa. Worked great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike George
United States
Smithville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the best game I have ever played, and I have been playing games for 44 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, yes it is.

I find it a great game at all player counts, although thus far I think throwing a second Automa in there is better if playing solo or 2 player (so 3-5 'characters' when playing 1-5 players).

I'm not sure what you read the downsides were, or specifically for solo play anyway. If you have a specific question after reading some of the other threads out there someone might be able to answer but the short answer is yes, yes it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll simply join the chorus as someone who loves the game...especially solo!

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't buy it solely to play single player, there are much better options on the market that do the solo experience. The automa system while fairly well designed, although the same thing happens every play through, just doesn't offer a lot of repeat plays, therefore I can't justify buying it for solo play. The game was designed for multiplayer and the solo variant is very much slapped on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McLeod
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it solo. Having the Automa was a deciding factor in me getting the game, and it has totally been worth it. You will not be disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I woke up ten minutes ago and reading this thread was a very nice way to start the day . Thank you all of you who've chimed in on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
itmo wrote:
I wouldn't buy it solely to play single player, there are much better options on the market that do the solo experience. The automa system while fairly well designed, although the same thing happens every play through, just doesn't offer a lot of repeat plays, therefore I can't justify buying it for solo play. The game was designed for multiplayer and the solo variant is very much slapped on.

Different strokes for different folks. I have more than a dozen solo plays and I am still enjoying it solo. Depending on the card draws the automas will behave very differently. I have played many games against 2 automa opponents and it becomes clear that they will behave differently. Scythe is my most played solo game this year (and I am a regular solo player with almost 300 solo plays of 70+ different games in total this year).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmb
Well I played a ton of KDM, and yeah the cards are the same but every situation is different, and the conditions the cards are drawn can be different, in one situation I can have some resources in other not which lead me to react in various ways .

Do yo guys get the same feel with the automa?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe is a great game multiplayer, and not bad solo. The Automa deck works very well (although the lower levels are pointlessly easy) and I've enjoyed half a dozen solo games, and no doubt will play more. It's not the best solo game I've played, and personally, I wouldn't get it just for solo, but the solo player is definitely a nice bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
Scythe is a great game multiplayer, and not bad solo. The Automa deck works very well (although the lower levels are pointlessly easy) and I've enjoyed half a dozen solo games, and no doubt will play more. It's not the best solo game I've played, and personally, I wouldn't get it just for solo, but the solo player is definitely a nice bonus.

Well, I can tell you from the playtesters and later reports that many did not find the difficulty of the lower levels too easy, quite the contrary .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:

Well, I can tell you from the playtesters and later reports that many did not find the difficulty of the lower levels too easy, quite the contrary .

I was going to play my first solo game on the 2nd level, because solo is a pure optimisation game, and I'm good at that. I read and reread the warnings about starting on the easiest level, and decided to follow the advice - the game was so easy, I won with well over 100 points, and could have ended it in in victory in any of the last few turns.

I skipped the second level, and jumped straight into the 3rd, and I've beaten that every time, and it's not even close. It has however drastically reduced my scores and my lead.

I'm going to switch to the top one, but I want to play one more game on 3 to complete my cycle of all factions. Looking at the card, I think that level will be much harder.

Playing against good opponents in a 5p game is certainly much harder than levels 1-3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmb
It's cool that the designer of the automa is answering herelaugh

And I'm reading the semi oficial variant and I'm even more excited . Which lead me to ask , is there gonna be an automa update in the future ?

Also I found the concept of "card AI" so cool , it would be nice if molten could someday tell us about the creative process of it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Upstate
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
dgenclass wrote:

If you are willing to invest in at least one additional automa deck to play against several AI opponents, I would give it a resounding YES!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not tried multiple Automa, but that may well be the way forward - looking forward to trying it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
I've not tried multiple Automa, but that may well be the way forward - looking forward to trying it...

Playing with multiple automa is definitely the way to go - it gives a much better experience, and doesn't require much extra effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

I was going to play my first solo game on the 2nd level, because solo is a pure optimisation game, and I'm good at that. I read and reread the warnings about starting on the easiest level, and decided to follow the advice - the game was so easy, I won with well over 100 points, and could have ended it in in victory in any of the last few turns.

I skipped the second level, and jumped straight into the 3rd, and I've beaten that every time, and it's not even close. It has however drastically reduced my scores and my lead.

I'm going to switch to the top one, but I want to play one more game on 3 to complete my cycle of all factions. Looking at the card, I think that level will be much harder.

Playing against good opponents in a 5p game is certainly much harder than levels 1-3.

I understand that you are good at these games, but are you sure you are playing the automa correctly? Your record suggests you might be missing something. Are you giving the Automa a star for the first two combats, and a star when the power track reaches the top? Are you letting workers and mechs use lakes as standard hexes once the Automa gets "riverwalk" (including scoring them at the end of the game)?

Not to question your skills (although I guess I am) but you might want to check this list to see if you have made any of the common automa mistakes:

Common Automa Mistakes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.