Hide
4 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » Rules

Subject: Spending goods to discount upgrades rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Logan Jones
msg tools
Can you spend multiple goods for multiple discounts? I've searched around and can't find this anywhere. The rules say "You may spend one good to decrease cost by 8"

If you could spend multiple I would think it would say "spend goods for a discount of 8 each". If it was definitely restricted to only one I would expect it to explicitly say "spend one and ONLY one good for an 8 discount"

Also the game mentions tou can't reduce stuff below zero which seems an odd thing to mention if you could only spend one good and everything costs more than 8, unless there are ways to reduce stuff further that I haven't seen yet?

Also, if you can spend multiple, does the "not below zero" rule mean I could use 2 goods on something that notmally costs say 12 and I just get it for free without the rebate or does it mean I couldn't use 2 goods at all because that would dro0 it below zero?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sharrrp wrote:
Can you spend multiple goods for multiple discounts? I've searched around and can't find this anywhere. The rules say "You may spend one good to decrease cost by 8"

Since "one" is not "any number" this seems to answer the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Neville
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mb
You can only spend one good for a discount.

Sure, during game 1, it is hard or impossible to reduce a cost below 0, but there are retired advisors available to you that give a further discount you can apply to an existing advisor. So, for example, if you apply a -2 build upgrade to the Renowned builder, you will get a -4 cost when building. When combined with the 8 gold discount from using a good, it would give a total of 12 gold off buildings. So, you'd get a 10 cost building for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sharrrp wrote:

If you could spend multiple I would think it would say "spend goods for a discount of 8 each". If it was definitely restricted to only one I would expect it to explicitly say "spend one and ONLY one good for an 8 discount"

Only one good.

Quote:
Also the game mentions tou can't reduce stuff below zero which seems an odd thing to mention if you could only spend one good and everything costs more than 8, unless there are ways to reduce stuff further that I haven't seen yet?

Yes, there are other ways to reduce costs of things. (For instance, advisors can have -X Build or -X Upgrade that reduce costs)

Quote:
Also, if you can spend multiple, does the "not below zero" rule mean I could use 2 goods on something that notmally costs say 12 and I just get it for free without the rebate or does it mean I couldn't use 2 goods at all because that would dro0 it below zero?

If discounts would bring the cost of something below 0, you can still apply all those discounts and just spend 0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.