I'm watching youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmb
I'm in China, I swore that by the time I woke up people were gonna be crazy about the lantern festival announcement , but nothing ....

Maybe we should do a kickstarter to gift him a clock and a calendar ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LOL let him be...he probably has myriads of things going on simultaneously.He will revert to us as soon as he has something interesting to say, or maybe when they wrote "Nov 5th", it was a typo, and they meant "Nov (2)5th" XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Shu1984 wrote:
LOL let him be...he probably has myriads of things going on simultaneously.He will revert to us as soon as he has something interesting to say, or maybe when they wrote "Nov 5th", it was a typo, and they meant "Nov (2)5th" XD

And explain at the same time what TBD means, I should hope? Because, seriously, TBD is not any combination of words that seems to indicate that the Lantern Festival is ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
IASeldon wrote:
Shu1984 wrote:

And explain at the same time what TBD means, I should hope? Because, seriously, TBD is not any combination of words that seems to indicate that the Lantern Festival is ready.

Given that he also said the kickstarter would be 99.999% done by black friday I take the To be determined to simply mean "I don't want to tell you yet". My personal guess is that the update will say that the Lantern Festival is ready to ship and things like going through customs is what keeps pushing the update back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We will hear something in the next few hours. I can feel it. Or it could just be the three Moscow Mules I had with dinner tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TBD = Troll Boardgamegeek Desperates xD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
My money's on 22:15, NY time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
samir patel

springfield
Massachusetts
msg tools
2215 came and went...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmb
(Sorry it's Sunday ,I'm bored )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
IASeldon wrote:
Shu1984 wrote:

Given that he also said the kickstarter would be 99.999% done by black friday I take the To be determined to simply mean "I don't want to tell you yet". My personal guess is that the update will say that the Lantern Festival is ready to ship and things like going through customs is what keeps pushing the update back.

People keep saying things like this, but it seems incredibly unlikely. I hope it's true, but TBD has never meant anything even close to "ready to go."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I woke up like a kid on Christmas morning today. Now I am disappoint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Curry
msg tools
mb
So did TBD Nov 5th actually mean he was going to determine when the next update would be today? That's what I'm going with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
DavidT wrote:
cormor321 wrote:
IASeldon wrote:
Shu1984 wrote:

People keep saying things like this, but it seems incredibly unlikely. I hope it's true, but TBD has never meant anything even close to "ready to go."

It has less to do with the TBD and more to do with things like 99.9999% done 3 weeks from now, final update, mentioning there were certain things that could push the update back, and the way the expansion shipment update was done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy O'Connell
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Well, you know, as many famous game developers in history have observed, a late game is only late until it eventually gets released: a bad game is bad forever...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
cormor321 wrote:
DavidT wrote:
cormor321 wrote:
IASeldon wrote:
Shu1984 wrote:

It has less to do with the TBD and more to do with things like 99.9999% done 3 weeks from now, final update, mentioning there were certain things that could push the update back, and the way the expansion shipment update was done.

Well, my guess was wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Well. It was an update... and he did wrap it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, I'm not a native english speaker and TBD was "to be determined" for me from the get go. Where did all the wild theories came from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Apparently 'TBD' meant, "To Be Discontinued".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
TR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just.one.question:
WHERE AM I SUPPOSED TO CRAFT THOSE WHITE DRAGON BRACERS FROM BEFORE THE WALL?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
t3clis wrote:
just.one.question:

My thoughts exactly. So is the Ivory Carver now not happening....?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And here the speculation train starts again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tenskwa Tawa
Spain
Alicante
Alicante
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm willing to bet Poots already knew the LF was not happening at Gencon (and even if he didn't, the LF would have only been in not-very-advanced development then, seeing as in that case it was then scrapped a mere month or so after), so the location probably corresponds to another expansion.

I may be misremembering, but wasn't the Screaming God supposed to be for a different post-Watcher (or around-the-Watcher, or Replace-the-Watcher) expansion? That would tell us that there very well may be advanced locations (like the Ivory Carver) coming up, regardless of what ended up happening to the Lantern Festival. Mark my words, the Ivory Carver will come in the next KS, it makes no sense to sell a product that's going to be useless for years.

And if you're still not convinced, I doubt even Poots would release a gear piece whose location he wasn't sure would (or was already sure wouldn't) be published.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Free
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Epidemius wrote:
t3clis wrote:
just.one.question:

My thoughts exactly. So is the Ivory Carver now not happening....?

My speculation - Lantern Festival was ridiculous to try to make out of 45 dollars, so it was cheaper to refund than to produce it.

Poots will probably add an equivalent to LF, or relaunch lantern festival in the new kickstarter, or the kickstarter after that (giving players time to finish more campaigns), at a price point that is more realistic to allow for production without them losing a ton more money (think Dragon King MSRP)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
TenskwaTawa wrote:

And if you're still not convinced, I doubt even Poots would release a gear piece whose location he wasn't sure would (or was already sure wouldn't) be published.

This is all theorizing from here in out.

The problem isn't really that this location may or may not come out, it's the power creep that we'll see with every expansion that follows the LF cancellation.

The game so far has a set, finite timeline of 25 years. That timeline can be expanded much farther, but at this moment in time there is very little reason to do so. Now, expansions are truly a limited addition for the game: not that they aren't worth having, but because there are only so many you can fit into a game and still keep progressing towards a goal - whether that goal be completion of an armor set or destruction of the Watcher. And there are only so many hunts you can go on before the end, making the decision of which monster to hunt much more difficult if you have competing goals.

Then there are the late game expansions: Lion God for certain, Screaming God almost guaranteed as well. Less time to hunt, and much less chance to win. Fighting the Lion God is hardly a winning scenario with the current gear choices in the game, and I cannot imagine the Screaming God will be much easier.

Then we get the one gear card with a base armor of 12 points, the Dragon Gauntlets. Thats an incredible difference from the base game, and was either designed with LF in mind, or with the power of further expansions in mind, which raises a design problem: keeping relevant. If we get expansions with gear sets that strong, then the related monsters must be strong enough to require those sets. But armor and weapons strong enough to take those monsters on with regularity will most likely obliterate any monsters released before those sets.

Yeah, yeah, so what? Well, if the Watcher still remains as the end boss - then he'll be overmatched entirely. There are already some mutters about the final battle with him being somewhat anticlimactic with what is already released...further expansions will exacerbate this trend much more dramatically, even if the encounter with the Watcher were pushed back on the timeline.

Expansions will render him useless as a final boss.

Unless we get an expansion that adds in a new boss.

That may be where Poots will head, later down the road. Instead of trying to release one huge expansion under the Lantern Festival title he might release smaller, monster-specific expansions that add on specifically after a campaign has defeated the Watcher. Perhaps a sort of legacy-style where certain expansions needs be completed in order to progress to newer sets.

There is also the storyline to consider: KDM has a story arc built into the structure. The game essentially has a completed ending. It helps keep the game flowing without drumming it down into monotony - the nemesis encounters from the core set are really good at this, because they help focus the players on short-term goals that break up the game from just facing a final boss at the end to facing a powerful boss in the next three years, so what do we think we need to beat them and can we get those items in time?

Adding in monsters beyond the campaign will need some kind of story arc built into them, otherwise the flow of the game breaks down.

But I doubt he can just keep releasing expansions to KDM that fit within the 25 LY timeline. The game is complex as it is, and most of the current expansions fill niches in the game pretty well. Adding in more to the current timeline will complicate the power balance of the game with the gear selections and combinations, and if items like a 12 point armor become available, then there runs a real risk of breaking the game entirely.

So, to ramble down to an end: Lantern Festival might be cancelled, but there is still a chance we'll see the King and the Scribe down the road. But, seperately, and with restrictions on how they are added.

That's my bet, and I do hope it comes out true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.