Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Niclas Matikainen
Sweden
Gävle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the following situation came up during the fifht register of a round:

Hammerbot is standing on a double wrench (in desperate need of reapairs) when a conveyor belt puts Twonky in front of him.
Twonky fires his Tractor Beam, pulling Hammerbot off the wrenches (denying him the precious repair) and into a board-mounted laser.

This caused the following question: Does Hammerbot get pulled and then lasered, or only pulled?

We ruled that laser fire happens continously throughout all of C. Resolve Laser Fire, so Hammerbot takes damage even though he didn't start step C in the laser.

Follow up question:
Lets complicate things a bit, and say that Twitch was standing in the path of the board-mounted laser, but further away than Hammerbot.
Is Twitch saved from the laser due to Hammerbot blocking it, even though Twitch started step C in the laser?

I would say: Yes, Twitch just got very lucky.
This doesn't go hand in hand with laser happens throughout all of step C though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is secondhand, but it makes sense to me.

Re: Official Robo Rally FAQ

1. First resolve all damage done by weapons (including board-mounted lasers and flamers).
2. Then resolve other weapons in the order of the shooting robots' card priority numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This is not my user name.
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
This is secondhand, but it makes sense to me.

Re: Official Robo Rally FAQ

1. First resolve all damage done by weapons (including board-mounted lasers and flamers).
2. Then resolve other weapons in the order of the shooting robots' card priority numbers.

Yes, that's the same answer WotC gave me when I asked a similar question.

Older Nick wrote:
We ruled that laser fire happens continously throughout all of C. Resolve Laser Fire, so Hammerbot takes damage even though he didn't start step C in the laser.

Follow up question:
Lets complicate things a bit, and say that Twitch was standing in the path of the board-mounted laser, but further away than Hammerbot.
Is Twitch saved from the laser due to Hammerbot blocking it, even though Twitch started step C in the laser?

I would say: Yes, Twitch just got very lucky.
This doesn't go hand in hand with laser happens throughout all of step C though...

Two things: First, if you ruled in the first case that laser fire happens continuously throughout the Resolve Laser Fire segment, then it is inconsistent to rule that Twitch got lucky in this second scenario.

Second, there is no way for this scenario to happen anyway. Tractor Beam pulls in a straight line. There's no way Twitch can be in the path of a laser and pull Hammerbot into the same laser path if he wasn't already in it.

But David gives the correct answer: Resolve damage first, then movement. Hammerbot is not damaged in the first scenario. And even if Twitch's Tractor Beam can pull Hammerbot sideways into the laser, Twitch is still shot, and Hammerbot isn't, in the second scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niclas Matikainen
Sweden
Gävle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
Second, there is no way for this scenario to happen anyway. Tractor Beam pulls in a straight line. There's no way Twitch can be in the path of a laser and pull Hammerbot into the same laser path if he wasn't already in it.

Except, of course, it was Twonky using Tractor Beam to pull Hammer Bot in front of Twitch (I guess I shouldn't have used two names that start with the same letter...)

That being said, I totally agree that the FAQ makes complete sense, while my interpretation is full of holes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This is not my user name.
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Older Nick wrote:
Except, of course, it was Twonky using Tractor Beam to pull Hammer Bot in front of Twitch (I guess I shouldn't have used two names that start with the same letter...)

D'oh! shake
(I want a :headslap: emoticon.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.