41.5% of Goal | left

Support:

Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, this is only a first impression after a partial solo play of Mouser Madness and then a 2-player run-through of Book 1 Battle 1, but man, I am super pleased.

The game shows its obvious roots with games like Descent and Imperial Assault, but so far, I think it feels the most modern and refreshed.

Imperial Assault really frustrated me after a while with its kind of... slogging pace. You spent lots of time fighting and fighting and fighting, only to advance just a few squares and have to do it all again. It was very easy to never feel like you were actually accomplishing much.

TMNT, however, doesn't feel that way at all. The boards are smaller, and what might be a single scenario and map in Imperial Assault is broken up across a whole Book for TMNT. So now, instead of a single scenario being multiple fights before you ever actually got the "win", here, in TMNT, you play out a single fight, and then boom, you won! Where the next trigger would fire and more troops would spawn in IA, instead, here, you're given the thrill of winning or losing and the DESIRE to want to continue on to the next fight.

The second thing I want to rave about is the feeling of Teamwork, both on a player level and on a character one. The dice mechanic is simply brilliant, and the ability to actually help pull an ally to their feet is again something small but huge at the same time.

And lastly, the feeling of the action just feels so much more... action-y. I've had some cool moments in IA, no doubt. I've force thrown a wookiee into a group of Stormtroopers, but none of it felt nearly as good as watching the Turtles dish out up to 5 or 6 actions in one of their turns.

The highlight of the game was the last two Thug Gunners up on a roof, near to escaping. Leo was in the alley below. With his activation, Leo climb up a fire escape, leapt from one roof to the other, striking a Gunner as he landed and knocking him out, then swinging at the second, all in the same turn.

It was awesome, and fluid, and I can't wait to play more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lombard
United States
New Carlisle
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I totally agree that this game is very very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Troutman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
"Smooth" and "Teamwork" are my overall impressions as well. It just feels so good, and everyone at the table is involved in every move. TMNT has turned Imperial Assault into a skirmish-only game for me. I can't imagine slogging through the endless setup and relatively generic play of its campaign after seeing how TMNT works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Krigbaum
United States
Spring Lake
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge Kevin Wilson fan. I have nearly everything 1e Descent and am working on 2e; as well as a bunch of other FFG stuff with his name in the credits.

I also own and love Imperial Assault but I think it's important to note he didn't work on it. It's obviously based on the mechanics he devised for Descent but ultimately it's not his and I'm not sure how much he directly contributed if at all.

All that being said it's only natural that the more revamps of the basic idea we see, the more refined they will be with each new iteration.

I'm really curious how the new Doom will come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ArmyAirborne wrote:
I'm a huge Kevin Wilson fan. I have nearly everything 1e Descent and am working on 2e; as well as a bunch of other FFG stuff with his name in the credits.

I also own and love Imperial Assault but I think it's important to note he didn't work on it. It's obviously based on the mechanics he devised for Descent but ultimately it's not his and I'm not sure how much he directly contributed if at all.

All that being said it's only natural that the more revamps of the basic idea we see, the more refined they will be with each new iteration.

I'm really curious how the new Doom will come out.

I realize he didn't work on IA, but IA had a theme that should have brought out the "smooth" feeling and great teamwork. Star Wars seems like it should be fast and cinematic. IA ain't either of those things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.