Subject: Mice & Mystics-esque rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan N

Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmb
So we are having a blast playing M&M with the 11 year old. Any suggestions for something similar?

We like this is coop and has a story. We didn't care for TIME Stories too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Legends of Andor, it sounds right for you. Also consider Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Road to Legend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you checked Mechs vs. Minions?

- it is coop
- it has cute minis
- it has 10 missions
- it has story (listen to the radio play from Riot's website)

It's story aspect is light, though, more like Arcadia Quest's missions and story than Mice and Mystic, but my son and I had a blast playing MvM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We... do you mean there are three or more? Star Wars: Imperial Assault is where three of us went after Mice and Mystics. It was me and two of my sons 9 and 14. The big difference there is that one of you plays against the other two. After the first few missions I even let the older one play my role for a few games. We are huge Star Wars nerds, so that helped. There is also a 2-player game in the box called skirmish mode that is really a wonderful two player game.

On the other hand... Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) is the same game but without the Star Wars theme AND... AND!!... they just came out with an app that will play the overloard for you and the rest of you can all work together to do each mission against it. More like Mice and Mystics where you all are playing on the same side.

Other than the app for Descent and the 2-player skirmish for Imperial, the games play nearly identical and comes down to theme for which you'd prefer.

Of course there is the new version of Mansions of Madness out now too... but I won't recommend that just yet. Cost too high for the number of missions you get... my now 16yo enjoys it but my now 11 doesn't.

Enjoy... -m
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
I second Legends of Andor. We played Andor first and then got into M&M because we wanted something similar. Andor does not have as much story elements but the gameplay is good(if you don't have the mindset of it being a crawler or that killing enemies must be rewarded).

I am playing a campaign of Star Wars: Imperial Assault right now but I don't think it feels anything like M&M. It relies more on story than Andor but you need to be into Star Wars to really enjoy the storytelling. If you're not, the campaign doesn't feel very tense, exciting or relevant at all. Heck, I like Star Wars but I don't feel very intrigued by SW:IA's story. The gameplay is closer to M&M, though, but the overall feel is just so different.

Then there are games like Near and Far or classic Tales of the Arabian Nights. They deliver some nice storytelling, if that's what you're after.

Well, and there's the Mouse Guard RPG but I haven't played it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
Galaxy Defenders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tail Feathers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan N

Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmb
Awesome, will look into Legends of Andor and the app for Descent. The kiddo isn't much into Star Wars, but I enjoy it. The fiancé would prefer Star Trek anyways. Thank you all for your suggestions and if there are any others please let me know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seeingstars wrote:
Awesome, will look into Legends of Andor and the app for Descent. The kiddo isn't much into Star Wars, but I enjoy it. The fiancé would prefer Star Trek anyways. Thank you all for your suggestions and if there are any others please let me know!

If you haven't played them, you could always add in the expansions and the free downloadable chapters off of Plaid Hat's website. That adds a ton to the overarching story from the base game since everything fits together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is the theme that you all enjoy check out mouse guard RPG it is very good and not heavy .
I have played it many times with my two kids and they enjoyed it so much they would run the adventures themselves.
Nearest I can match it to is a Redwall story.

Of course if RPGs are off the menu have a peek at Super Dungeon Explore . My two are older now and will have a go at this one every now and then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.