Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Olson
United States
Woodbine
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received my pre-ordered copy this week; and had a chance to play this three times over the weekend all 2-player experiences. I must say WOW! There are many things we liked about the game.

First, the artwork and graphic design is excellent. The board and rules are expertly laid out (IMHO). We never felt like we had to hunt for a rule, a symbol, location, etc. The cards are a wonderful blend of art and text, with just enough of both and never too much of either.

Second, the event decks really create a story for the game – from early war until the end. We felt it was very cinematic. They created realistic movements for Hitler and his deputies. The raids (or just the dread of potential raids) kept the tension throughout. In each of our three games we were able to ramp-up our motivation early only to find we didn’t have the right plots or items to successfully attempt the assassination. But then after scheming (collecting good plot cards) and collecting the right items we found either our suspicion levels too high or that our motivation was waning.

Next, this game is difficult (the mark of a good co-op or us), even starting with Military Support at the easy level. We have three plays under our belt. In each game, we could only put together 3 to 4 assassination attempts. We haven’t won yet. It could be we stink at this game, but we’ve really enjoyed the experience.

Finally, there is enough luck for our tastes to create tension and excitement. Yes, die rolls and card draws can screw you in this game. If you don’t like that then stay away. We however really loved it.

I know the theme of this game may be a turn off for some; but I think it would be no more “distasteful” than any other WW2 themed game.

I’m curious to hear what others have to say about this one. I really haven’t been this impressed with a game in a long time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm of the opinion that a hard co-op that makes me keep coming back (Robinson Crusoe, Eldritch Horror, etc.) is the sign of a great game.

Also, like Freedom: The Underground Railroad, it takes a special, sensitive hand to handle difficult subject matter in a game and not make it seem uncaring. I've only read the rules and finished putting together my game aid (posting in the next day or so), but I can tell that Black Orchestra was handled in a similar vein.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Salute
United States
Londonderry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Brad - glad you're enjoying the game! Good luck in your future plots. We're counting on you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip duBarry
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you are enjoying it! Hope you win soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Redheaded Pharmacist
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy arrived just a little while ago in the mail. I'm really excited to open it up and give it a try. It's nice to see some positive comments on this game before trying it out myself. Thanks for posting this for the rest of us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Just got mine today in Frederick Maryland!

Can't wait to break it out and play it!!

Beautiful production quality!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulus Borgia
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I must concur. Outstanding game with lots of ways to ratchet up the challenge. We played three games on standard last weekend. Finally won on the last go round, but in large measure due to having a very useful character (von Tresckow) and our getting a little better at coordinating. As far as theme, it does what every great game should do--transport you to some other place and time. You feel all the urgency of the conspirators as you play. That's what I was hoping for, and Black Orchestra delivered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.