4,775 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
30.1% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Shawn Wolowicz
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Just that, would love some comparisons/contrasts.
Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coparing LCGs in general to Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set I'd say that the main difference is the pre-game deckbuilding in LCG. There is a lot of "game before the game" in LCGs as you have to come to the table with your personalized deck. Optimization of your deck beforehand is a huge part of LCGs.

Also, there is no character development in LCGs (though I have not played Arkham Horror: The Card Game which seems to offer some sort of character development). To me character development both in terms of chaning cards you gained into your deck as well as improving skills etc. is one of the most fun parts in Pathfinder - this lacking in LCGs.

All but two LCGs are (mostly) competitive two-player games, while Pathfinder really shines with more than two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drea Paulsen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
Also, there is no character development in LCGs

I would say this is true, to the other FF LCG's, lord of the rings there is no character to develop (your a army group more then a single character) in Netrunner your a single character but you build your deck before a game, and as there is no story there is no development needed. Its you vs another player in a single game (which is also true for mostly every other LCG FF makes as there all Vs style)

But AH is different in that you are a single character, and you do develop from game to game much like pathfinder. In Pathfinder though you develop a bit more randomly, you get cards during the game, and if they fit what your looking for you keep them else you toss them. in set missions you gain a character improvement which you get to chose.

In AH you have a lot more control over this improvement. At the end of a mission (pass or fail) you get a amount of XP based of what that mission dictates. Then you can use this XP to improve cards you have in your deck (everything starts at Level 0, so you can spend 2 xp to replace that 0 with a level 2 card), or you can replace a level 0 with another level 0 at the cost of 1xp. This lets you change your deck how you see fit from game to game. On top of that, the game its self will change your deck. A good example of this is something goes wrong and evil enters you. Because of that you had to put a madness card into your deck that now stays with you for the rest of that game, and any game to come.

Hope that helps you a bit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror is a much deeper game than Pathfinder ACG and quite different as well both in mechanics as well as being able to customize your character to a much greater extent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
Coparing LCGs in general to Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set I'd say that the main difference is the pre-game deckbuilding in LCG. There is a lot of "game before the game" in LCGs as you have to come to the table with your personalized deck. Optimization of your deck beforehand is a huge part of LCGs.

Arkham Horror is not a standard LCG in this regard. Since the campaign mode is the standard way to play, while you do build a deck before starting the first scenario (like you do in Pathfinder) you don't rebuild it between scenarios but rather slowly upgrade it using experience points.

As has been said of this game, where the Lord of the Rings LCG is 70% deck building and 30% playing, Arkham Horror is only 30% deckbuilding and 70% playing!

There are many gamers who don't enjoy competitive deck building who are looking forward to the "lighter" deck building in Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Ft. Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:

As has been said of this game, where the Lord of the Rings LCG is 70% deck building and 30% playing, Arkham Horror is only 30% deckbuilding and 70% playing!

There are many gamers who don't enjoy competitive deck building who are looking forward to the "lighter" deck building in Arkham Horror.

I'm one of those looking forward to the 30/70 mix. I hope AH benefits from the more focused 30 card decks with a single "hero" to produce player decks with more "personality" than I've previously found in LCG. Maybe something more similar to Sentinels of the Multiverse?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Keegan
United States
Whitman
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
Arkham Horror is a much deeper game than Pathfinder ACG and quite different as well both in mechanics as well as being able to customize your character to a much greater extent.

While you have more control over your character in AH with regards to improving the contents of their deck, Pathfinder gives you more options when it comes to developing a character over time with skills, powers, and roles.

Arkham has a much stronger narrative flow though, something Pathfinder missed the mark on from the beginning. The Act deck is genius, and since the encounter deck is customized per scenario there shouldn't be any of those 'bunyip at the general store' type issues that invade Pathfinder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
SirRoke wrote:

I'm one of those looking forward to the 30/70 mix. I hope AH benefits from the more focused 30 card decks with a single "hero" to produce player decks with more "personality" than I've previously found in LCG. Maybe something more similar to Sentinels of the Multiverse?

I taught the game to three new players last night on TTS (people who use to be in my game group but moved away). I made the decks for them so they didn't need to worry about the deck building part of the experience while they were learning the game. The first thing they said was it felt like playing SotM (which we had played heavily in the past). Also they all were very eager to play again and wanted to spend their experience immediately before we signed off so I think it was a hit.

Add: I have played the entire Runelords campaign for PACG. PACG does allow you to buy perks and stat updates as well as pick up random and assigned loot from the adventure and put it in your deck. AH LCG lets you spend experience to modify your deck with leveled up cards deterministically. Also sometimes the campaign will dictate that certain things related to the story will be inserted into your deck. I'm not sure that one feels better as far as character progression is concerned. The big difference between the two games IMO is that PACG feels way more random in it's composition. AH LCG feels much more narrative with branching decision trees and outcomes based on the configuration of the Act and Agenda decks and choices you make during the scenario. For me it's no contest. AH LCG is the better game (though of course that's just one gamer's opinion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Gaetz
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good question and great replies, thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Wolowicz
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Shady Bits wrote:
Good question and great replies, thanks all!

This. Thanks yall!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.