Rivet Wars: Eastern Front» Forums » General

Subject: Must own expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Player Red
United States
California
flag msg tools
It sounds like the game is more strategy and less tactics. Meaning, recruiting counter troops more efficiently than your opponent is the winning strategy. Since LOS isn't an issue, positioning is less important. Is this correct?

If so, then having more different troops makes the game deeper. Therefore, which expansions improve the most in troop diversity? Which ones are "must owns?"

Player Red
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Henry
United States
Canton
NY
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If going for diversity then Second Wave, Battle of Brighton, Heavy Metal. And if you are going to go more than 2 players then the map tile pack too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PlayerRedDiceBoy wrote:
It sounds like the game is more strategy and less tactics. Meaning, recruiting counter troops more efficiently than your opponent is the winning strategy. Since LOS isn't an issue, positioning is less important. Is this correct?

If so, then having more different troops makes the game deeper. Therefore, which expansions improve the most in troop diversity? Which ones are "must owns?"

Player Red

Just the opposite. The game is entirely tactical...and tediously. Limiting your ability to move EVERY piece on EVERY move would be a thousand percent increase in strategy and game play. This could easily be done through use of your cards and identifying board sections (ala Memoir '44) or even better, quadrants. Coolminiornot had high hopes for Rivet, but the game play didn't stay up with the 'cool' minis. No love, no expansions. Too bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Darlington
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bamonson wrote:

Just the opposite. The game is entirely tactical...and tediously. Limiting your ability to move EVERY piece on EVERY move would be a thousand percent increase in strategy and game play. This could easily be done through use of your cards and identifying board sections (ala Memoir '44) or even better, quadrants.

Just as a counterpoint: a Command and Colors approach like you describe (activate only a fraction of your units on the board based on a card you play from a hand) would have killed my interest in Rivet Wars instantly.

I *much* prefer a system in which you get to use all of the units you paid for. That way the board position evolves based on your own complete strategy, employing all the units you brought to bear. Not just those you were lucky enough to draw cards for. Similarly, Chess would not be improved if players could only move a piece on a white or black square based on a card draw.

I really don't find the modest array of units on the board in a typical game of Rivet Wars too much work to manage every turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Festertester
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rivet Wars:Western Fro.......oh wait.......nevermind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Darlington
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
necroloid123 wrote:
Rivet Wars:Western Fro.......oh wait.......nevermind.

Yeah. All the concept art I've seen for Western Front just looks fantastic. If only...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windrant wrote:
If going for diversity then Second Wave, Battle of Brighton, Heavy Metal. And if you are going to go more than 2 players then the map tile pack too.

I second these three expansions in that order.

Additionally, I'd recommend only mixing in one or two expansions per game as it gets a bit unwieldy beyond that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JDarlington wrote:
bamonson wrote:

Just the opposite. The game is entirely tactical...and tediously. Limiting your ability to move EVERY piece on EVERY move would be a thousand percent increase in strategy and game play. This could easily be done through use of your cards and identifying board sections (ala Memoir '44) or even better, quadrants.

Just as a counterpoint: a Command and Colors approach like you describe (activate only a fraction of your units on the board based on a card you play from a hand) would have killed my interest in Rivet Wars instantly.

I *much* prefer a system in which you get to use all of the units you paid for. That way the board position evolves based on your own complete strategy, employing all the units you brought to bear. Not just those you were lucky enough to draw cards for. Similarly, Chess would not be improved if players could only move a piece on a white or black square based on a card draw.

I really don't find the modest array of units on the board in a typical game of Rivet Wars too much work to manage every turn.

* And yet somehow the Command and Colors approach sells and is extremely successful, given all the expansions and all...

* So the Command and Colors system does not allow the board position to evolve based on your own complete strategy?

* The last time I checked you can still only move ONE piece at a time in chess. Somehow I think the game is better for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Darlington
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bamonson wrote:
* And yet somehow the Command and Colors approach sells and is extremely successful, given all the expansions and all...

And McDonald's is still in business. Sales and quality are not the same thing.

bamonson wrote:
* So the Command and Colors system does not allow the board position to evolve based on your own complete strategy?

Correct.

bamonson wrote:
* The last time I checked you can still only move ONE piece at a time in chess. Somehow I think the game is better for it.

Yes, and in Chess you get to choose what piece to move... you don't rely on a handful of cards telling you which one you can choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.