Popular Tags: [View All]
Martijn van Ginkel
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,

I can't seem to find the rules for running out of growing dread cards.

I know, as a general rule, when running out of a deck, the decks discards are reshuffled. However for growing dread there are no discards as these pile up until the final battle starts. Of course this could be solved by taking note to play through the entire deck of GD and add any additional cards added since then. This way of 'looping' the GD deck might get very difficult to survive.

I also tried just to ignore the 'add growing dread' instructions. But, if for example I have a situation in which can either give some bonus or add growing dread, it's easy to take the risk as I can not add any more growing dread. So I think just ignoring it, is not fair play.

Alternatively instead of adding a GD card, the players could get another nasty effect like instantly resolving a darkness card. Or schedule a darkness card for the final battle..

Does anyone know of official guidelines for running out of GD?

(the whole discussion might get quite hypothetical as it does seem my heroes party is not going to survive all this dread and the final battle but -who knows- )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
martijnvg wrote:

(the whole discussion might get quite hypothetical as it does seem my heroes party is not going to survive all this dread and the final battle but -who knows- )

It will be really tough battle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Allen
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what i would house rule is keep track of the number of extra GD cards needed, resolve all of the GD cards, then shuffle and draw the number you need extra

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you even draw so many?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van Ginkel
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mb
Well, in the core set there are only 7.
So, in this game:
3 x 2 natural 2's on the depth event chart 'dark dread'
1 x scavenge card chilling dread adds GD
1 x exploration token with GD
1 x on the darkness track (during normal gameplay)
1 x on a darkness card 'overwhelming dread'
So at 7 there..
Then there is the 'Primitive Altar' from Jargono otherworld, which can add D3 (1 in my case) growing dread when failing the spirit test..

Finally while processing the full deck of GD cards before the final encounter, the darkness progresses and another GD is added by the darkness track

So I have to resolve 9 before the final battle.

I guess I could just unwrap my city of the ancients set and get 7 more dread cards. However, I will go with the suggestion of processing the 7 in the deck and then again 2 random GD cards. Thanks!

Edit: if anyone cares; the final battle was lost, due to the darkness escaping on yet another unfortunate lantern roll.. ah well.. lets go back to town and try again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question that falls in this department:
I just revealed my GD Cards for the final battle. 2 turns later I fail the HBtD-roll and have to draw anothe GD. Do I resolve that immediately?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Simcoe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could buy the other core set to get another 7 cards and/or get the Edge of the Abyss card supplement to get another 15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Cuthailion wrote:
I have a question that falls in this department:
I just revealed my GD Cards for the final battle. 2 turns later I fail the HBtD-roll and have to draw anothe GD. Do I resolve that immediately?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.