Subject: Couple Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Bennett
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
Played or first game last night and my "rules lawyer" friends try to break every card so we spent most of the time arguing over the wording of some of the cards and rules.

Q: Must I purchase a card on the encounter ring if I am able to or can I just lose the d6 sanity and slot cards or explore?

Q: Couple of loot cards had the wording "play immediately" Immediately upon receiving them as loot before they go to the discard pile? Immediately upon drawing them in the Recover stage?

Q: Does only the active player lose sanity if they leave an adversary on the encounter ring or do all players on that level lose sanity?

Q: Chaos cards say "The Foe Advances" in big scary letters, then the effect of the card. Half of us read that as "move the foe", then perform the effect and the other half just perform the effect. It does say advances!!

Played about half the game wrong until we found the "rule" in the Q&A portion that says you can either use the power value of the card OR the discard/banish function of the card, but not both. Kind of an important rule to bury on the back pages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not Cory Scanlan, but I'll give you my read FWIW.

Almonius wrote:
Played or first game last night and my "rules lawyer" friends try to break every card so we spent most of the time arguing over the wording of some of the cards and rules.

I suggest watching the Tome of Ravingspire videos if you haven't done so already. The manual is awful, but the videos are very detailed.

Quote:
Q: Must I purchase a card on the encounter ring if I am able to or can I just lose the d6 sanity and slot cards or explore?

There's nothing in the rules saying you must acquire a card. Page 18 in the glossary even states "When a character decides to collect an encounter card," so I think it's safe to assume you have the choice.

Quote:
Q: Couple of loot cards had the wording "play immediately" Immediately upon receiving them as loot before they go to the discard pile? Immediately upon drawing them in the Recover stage?

I've never seen immediately mean anything other than immediately, so play them immediately (i.e. as soon as they're drawn).

Quote:
Q: Does only the active player lose sanity if they leave an adversary on the encounter ring or do all players on that level lose sanity?

Yes. You really have to search for it, but the note next to the adversary card on page 13 says "Every Adversary remaining on the Encounter Ring at the end of a player's turn decreases the player's sanity by 1." If the intent were to have everyone lose sanity, I think it would mention it here.

Also, this does not include enemies drawn during the recover phase. On page 5 it's clear that this action is taken in the Explore phase, not at the end of a player's turn.

Quote:
Q: Chaos cards say "The Foe Advances" in big scary letters, then the effect of the card. Half of us read that as "move the foe", then perform the effect and the other half just perform the effect. It does say advances!!!

The Foe Advances cards are actually called Chaos cards and their effects are listed on page 14 under card types. The description begins with "Chaos cards have two effect," so congratulations to the first half of your group!

Quote:
Played about half the game wrong until we found the "rule" in the Q&A portion that says you can either use the power value of the card OR the discard/banish function of the card, but not both. Kind of an important rule to bury on the back pages.

This manual is awful, there's no getting around it. That rule, along with a multitude of others, is buried in the questions section on pages 22-23. I'm having a good time with the game despite the rules, but it may be a nightmare playing with a rules lawyer. I suggest trying to establish a "beer and pretzels" frame of mind before setting off on this adventure, possibly with actual beer and pretzels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cibarich
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dave, I am not Cory Scanlan either, but I think I can help you out. I just played the game with the designers this last weekend, and many of your questions came up:

You don't have to purchase a card if you don't want to, and you can take the Sanity loss. In that case, you take the new card and replace the one with the largest Brute Force cost. This seems like an edge case, though: it's almost always a good idea to buy something if you can. This rule happens most often when you just can't buy a card for whatever reason.

The play immediately don't take effect right when you acquire them, but when you draw them.

Only the Active Player loses sanity from adversaries, and only if they're on the same level of the tower.

The "foe advances" does indeed mean that you move it one space, in addition to the other effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bennett
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
Thanks guys
Pretty much how we resolved my questions, just needed some confirmation.
Always fun playing with a group that loves to find a way to "break" a game. The play immediately was the one that caused the most lawyering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Schmude
msg tools
I've got another question.

I know that players can do whatever they want, but how to setup the game while playin' 6-player mode? There's not enough place around the Tower :/

Are maybe I'm missin' somethin'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.