Popular Tags: [View All]
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Much has been said of the 3x vs xxx iconography choice.
But the Grand Hotel is probably the worst offender here, because its text contradicts the (completely backwards) intent of the iconography.

In the rules:
3x is said to mean "one each of three different resources."
xxx is said to mean "three of the same resource."

By that token, the Grand Hotel's mention of 2A should mean "one each of two different As," which highlights how the chosen iconography fails completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't 2A mean two of the same? Then Yes, 3x should be 3 0f the same of whatever you choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
"3x is said to mean one each of three different resources."

That is not correct. 3x means choose an influence of your choice, 3 times. That could be any combination of 3, including 3 of one type, 1 of 3 types, 2 of one type one of another etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So.......3x and xxx are the same?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Rygel wrote:
So.......3x and xxx are the same?

No.

"3X" means choose an influence of your choice, 3 times. That could be any combination of 3, including 3 of one type, 1 of 3 types, 2 of one type one of another etc.

"XXX" means you must choose ONE influence, and gain three of that influence only.

While HIGHLY counter-intuitive, it's all made very clear in the FAQ printed on the box bottom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

weishaupt wrote:
But the Grand Hotel is probably the worst offender here, because its text contradicts the (completely backwards) intent of the iconography.

The Grand Hotel icons don't follow the rules you quoted, so there is no contradiction.

Though I don't remember exactly where I saw the "A", "B", & "C" icons discussed, they work like this for the Grand Hotel:

"Pay 2 influence of Type A"
then,
"Gain 2 influence of Type B, and 2 influence of Type C"

The point being that this particular ability requires that all three types of Influence be manipulated for its use. This is the key! For example, the same ability, if using only the "X"s rule, would've been written like this:
"Pay XX, then gain XX and gain XX"
But that's even more confusing and isn't it! Which is why the "A"s, "B"s, & "C"s are used instead.

Now having said that, the "AB" used on The Graveyard is confusing to me. In this case, why not use, "XX"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

the "AB" used on The Graveyard is confusing to me. In this case, [i]why not use, "XX"?

Because you have to collect two different influence types. If it were XX then you'd get two of the same influence which isn't the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

mgcoe wrote:
bgm1961 wrote:

the "AB" used on The Graveyard is confusing to me. In this case, [i]why not use, "XX"?

Because you have to collect two different influence types. If it were XX then you'd get two of the same influence which isn't the case.

Michael, thanks much for jumping in! I was a dunderhead when I wrote that, as I actually did know what the "AB" means, as you describe. I had a brain fart.

I meant to ask why not use, "2X" instead ... but then of course that wouldn't work as doing so means that the player could choose either two of the same type or one each of two different types, which as you said is not the intent, hence the use of "AB"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mgcoe wrote:

That is not correct. 3x means choose an influence of your choice, 3 times. That could be any combination of 3, including 3 of one type, 1 of 3 types, 2 of one type one of another etc.

Quite right, my mistake.

3x means three influences of your choice, and not necessarily different.
But I'm still spending entire games correcting people who always assume the reverse. How on earth anyone would think xxx (and NOT 3x) means three of the same is beyond me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
mgcoe wrote:

Quite right, my mistake.

3x means three influences of your choice, and not necessarily different.
But I'm still spending entire games correcting people who always assume the reverse. How on earth anyone would think xxx (and NOT 3x) means three of the same is beyond me.

The decision to go this route also involves graphic design. For instance, the Saloon winner's pot would have to be presented differently than all the other locations if we changed how the wilds pay out. I hope it doesn't slow down your games too much. Usually once it's explained during the rules explanation there's not an issue from my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hoffmann
United States
Amherst
MA
flag msg tools
I'm honestly not questioning you and your friends' experience, but my intuition leads me to the exact opposite conclusion than yours.

To me

3x *obviously* means three independent choices
xxx *obviously* means you get one choice, but three matches of whatever you choose.

I mean I don't think you're crazy for interpreting things the way you do -- I can see where you're coming from. It's just the interpretation chosen by the designer makes the most sense to me also. Also, as pointed out later, it fits in with the AB iconography: two separate choices, and they have to be different from each other.

Though perhaps 3? would have been better than 3x.

It would be (mildly) interesting to try to figure out why you and I come to such different conclusions. Because I have a degree in Math? I'm a programmer? I'm from the USA and you apparently are Canadian???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

cjha wrote:
3x *obviously* means three independent choices
xxx *obviously* means you get one choice, but three matches of whatever you choose.
It would be (mildly) interesting to try to figure out why you and I come to such different conclusions.

It's interesting that you see this as the first instinctive, intuitive reading of "3X" vs "XXX". So I guess the gameplay comes naturally to you! So to answer the question you asked:

My intuition reads "3X" as three instances of "variable X". A singular "X" is normally interpreted as a singular valued variable. Thusly all three "X"s are considered to be the same variable.

Whereas "XXX" is normally interpreted as three separate variables, with each "X" being a variable that's independent of the other. Thusly the three "X"s can be different from each other and in any combination.

Above, I said it's my intuition... but everyone I've played with has thought exactly the same as me. They all raise an eyebrow with this rule, but as Michael explained above, once they're informed they (we) all get it and press on. It's just counter-intuitive given the logic I present above, is all.

But Michael explained why it is, and it's all good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the ONLY confusion stems from the mixing of X and A/B/C

2X = any two resources
2A = two of the same resource
XX = two of the same resource

Had XX or XXX consistently been 2A or 3A, I don't think people would be confused at all.

That said, it is extremely clear in the rules and various examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just adding my two cents here, when I was reading the rules and cards I was sure that 3X were meant 3 of the same kind and X X X would be three different things. Just like Barry saide before, to me it is quite intuitive, that it is "3 times the same variable" and "3 different variables".

This is so much the case, that when I got to read the section where it explains it is the other way around, I laughed and thought to myself "wow, this is a weird missprint... how come they didn't notice this was wrong?"

I actually came here to see if there was any official word about it, like someone saying "sorry for this mistake" and all that... I'm kinda surprised that it is the way it is.

But this is no problem at all. Once explained, we all know and this will not hinder the game. But it is, in my point of view, a weird choice of iconography.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mgcoe wrote:
The decision to go this route also involves graphic design. For instance, the Saloon winner's pot would have to be presented differently than all the other locations if we changed how the wilds pay out. I hope it doesn't slow down your games too much. Usually once it's explained during the rules explanation there's not an issue from my experience.

Wow!? Really this is the reason for it? You didn't want to have a number on a location mat!?

(X) < > (X)(X)
Winners Pot (X)(X)

-vs-
(X) < > 2(X)
Winners Pot X(2)

One card would look different. But it wouldn't be confusing. Instead all the location mats look similar. But one causes confusion. There are 5/6 location mats 7/12 bosses and 17/30 buildings that have icons on them. That's room for a lot of confusion.
Instead all the mats could have used the 2(X) iconology.

For example, have the Hideout show: < > 2

They'd match and make better sense.

It is what it is, but I think this could have been done better.

I really love this game though don't get me wrong, it is great fun, but the icons are annoying to explain/remember
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In order to follow the established iconography, shouldn't the Grand Hotel use AA instead of 2A?

If the answer is that it's more practical/logical to use 2A, we're going in circles...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon B
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Obviously what's done is done at this point, but I just want to say what's obvious for me is 3x being three of the same resource (three times X = 3X, X being 1 variable) and XXX would be three separate variables. I do personally find it confusing.

I mean, once it's explained, fine. You could do whatever you wanted, like make a unicorn butt be the symbol for two of the same resource, so long as everyone agreed, but I feel like it was needlessly confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.