Retiaria (Sine Scuto)
Leopard (Sine Scuto)
Desultor (Petauristae)
Lusitor (Petauristae)
Paegniaria (Petauristae)
Tiger (Petauristae)
      31 answers
Poll created by Orphebus
The other day, I was debating with some friends over which of the two giant minis (Retiaria or Murmillo) we liked best. I thought it would be fun to extend this to all the minis (I left out the Small Beasts and the Slaves, because they are too many) with a public vote, here at BGG.

You can vote for as many minis as you like. Please, vot at least for a Gladiator and Wild Beast!

]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel García
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
Oh-la-la!
badge
Evil Inside
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted for more than those 2, but I'm gonna go with the Murmillo for being the exact replica orf what I always imagined a Gladiator would look like (over what I think they will be more popular choices cool); and as for the Beasts, I'm sticking to the tiger, because of its brave pose arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
You are disintegrating.Into everything around.Reintegrating.The worm we dug from higher ground.You have let go of ego.Ego is no longer you.Closer to nirvana.Since the porter's whistle blew. With Us!
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, they all look amazing, but it's tough to beat the menacing look of the Murmillo (Scutarii) in any game with gladiators. Secutor (Scutarii) Got my vote as well. For a beast, I choose the Panther as it appears the miniature will be cool to grasp when moving it around the board.

This sounds hoity-toity, but there's a whole level of appreciation in the tactile quality of a miniature. This aesthetic became apparent to me handling and moving about Heroscape miniatures all those years.

The game looks amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Temprano
Spain
Valladolid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hex_Enduction_Hour wrote:
Firstly, they all look amazing, but it's tough to beat the menacing look of the Murmillo (Scutarii) in any game with gladiators. Secutor (Scutarii) Got my vote as well. For a beast, I choose the Panther as it appears the miniature will be cool to grasp when moving it around the board.

This sounds hoity-toity, but there's a whole level of appreciation in the tactile quality of a miniature. This aesthetic became apparent to me handling and moving about Heroscape miniatures all those years.

The game looks amazing!

Thanks!

You can see all the process design in our web:

Secutor (Scutarii)
This gladiatorial class, named so because they “chase” their enemies, is the fastest of the Scutarii (Great Shields), and one of the favourite gladiators for a lot of lanistas. He’s easily recognizable by his egg-shaped helmet, plain and without any decoration, so that the Retiaria’s net, his usual foe, can’t entangle it.
At Level III, he obtains the wonderful skill Endless Energy (he spends a red Attack Card to gain a Damage Dice and draw a Maneuver Card), that makes him the most agile of the Great Shields; Shield Parry (he gains a Block); and Chase (he can try to follow an enemy that leaves his Attack Zone, and if he is triumphant, his enemy will have to stop). He’s the favourite gladiator of many players, like the champion of Ultima Test, Dani "Maprenufus"… whose prize was to design him!

Ultima Test final (2014): "After defeating all of them, Dani won his new titleand entered the history books as Daniel Acebes Maprenufus Victor / Amittere Finem Perserverandus Secutor. Through perseverance he won the Secutor team (group of gladiators) and the right to take part in the Secutor’s design process!"

Panther (Parmularii)
Even when sometimes it pretends to ignore them, a panther never leaves a prey. Its attacks, fast and brutal, are always focused in knocking down its victim.
At Level II, it improves its basic Tear Up attack with Knock Over (better damage, adds two free Knocking Down results). It acts first and it can ground an enemy, thus easing its team’s gladiators work.
Also, it can Follow Up an enemy it is in contact with; if this enemy tries to flee, a 5+ result in the blue die will mean the Panther follows them and prevents them to keep moving… These two skills are a great strategic asset. Its downside is that its stats do not stand out in any specific way.

Go Parmularii!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Antonio Martín Barrio
Spain
flag msg tools
Murmillo of course.DD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted Murillo because it evokes a counter from the original Melee game (Metagaming) from the 70's that really got me going into this hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Temprano
Spain
Valladolid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
I voted Murillo because it evokes a counter from the original Melee game (Metagaming) from the 70's that really got me going into this hobby.

That's a very good reason.

Murmillo (Scutarii):
Typical representative for the Scutarii (Great Shields), he is easily recognizable by his helm, furnished with a fish figure (“mormyros” is Greek for “fish”): he is indeed the gladiator that the retiaria tries to catch with her net. Nearly impossible to knock over, his armor and heavy shield give him a huge resistance on the arena.

At Level III has got three Skills: Great Strike (by spending a red attack card, allows him to lash out a deadly gladius thrust), Sure Feet (by spending a green card, he raises his Defense and prevents being pushed, displaced or knocked over, unless a “Jupiter’s Lightning” is played); and Heavy Scutum (he can always use the counter-attack dice to increase his Defense). He is a Gladiator with an excellent defensive technique, very useful on arenas with Pits and Bottomless Pits, that can wear out your his unfortunate opponents rivals while they poor things try in vain to penetrate your armor.

Go Thraex!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel García
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
Oh-la-la!
badge
Evil Inside
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:

Wow. That's old! Although that helps explaining the size of your game collection surprise

I've been checking a reworked version of the Melee game, just out of curiosity, and it seems to be just the kind of games David loves whistle

That's also the kind of games that got me hooked during the late 80. The primitive RPGs I played were more or less like that ninja

Murmillo FTW!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santa Olaya
Spain
Valladolid
Castilla y León
flag msg tools
Orphebus wrote:
I voted for more than those 2, but I'm gonna go with the Murmillo for being the exact replica orf what I always imagined a Gladiator would look like (over what I think they will be more popular choices :cool:); and as for the Beasts, I'm sticking to the tiger, because of its brave pose :arrrh:

I vote for Murmillo because probably it's the propotypical Gladiator, this sculpt rememebers me the Pollice verso painting which I love so much. And yes I know the gesture it's wrong on the painting, but....

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollice_verso

The other vote goes to the Thraex because the dynamism of the pose it's great and I feel terrified looking at this terrible foe jumping to me to kill me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Temprano
Spain
Valladolid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ferchu wrote:

The other vote goes to the Thraex because the dynamism of the pose it's great and I feel terrified looking at this terrible foe jumping to me to kill me

Thanks! Go, go, go, goooooo Thraex!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.