mbmbmbmbmb
Last night
Benjamin Kindt
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and I complete our third game of the Labyrinth series. Last night we played the expansion Labyrinth: The Awakening, 2010 – ?. I needed a rematch because Ben beat me so badly I needed to recover. This game was totally different and even until the last turn you could not tell who was going to win. There were turns where both Ben and I had all cards in our hand that were for the opposite player. Ben played the US and I played the Jihad.

Ben was able to get a pretty strong foothold in the Middle and was able to get several countries to become good governance including the Gulf States, Afghanistan, and Pakistan. I decided to focus and Africa and getting those countries to Islamist Rule (IR). I was able to get Somalia, Sudan, and Algeria/Tunisia.

Everything hinged on the last turn. Ben had forced a regime change in Algeria/Tunisia making me lose 2 IR resources. To counteract this I attempted to move two cells into the Gulf States. I was only able to get one in. I then attempted to complete a Minor Jihad. I needed to roll a one on one six-sided die. I rolled a 1 (there was celebration dancing going on and a few swear words as well).

Ben knew he had to change this in a heartbeat to even try and win. He played his card and completed a War of Ideas roll. He needed a 5 or 6. There were no modifications to the die roll. It was a straight up roll. He rolled a 5. My celebration high went straight to shock and depression and swearing again.

I had on last chance. I had a cell in Pakistan. A successful minor Jihad would just about guaranteed my victory. I rolled a 1 before I could do it again. I rolled and this I rolled a 3. No Minor Jihad for Me. I was still winning because Ben did not have double the amount of good resources, but it still had one card to play and could win if he got one more Country to change on a War of Ideas Roll. He rolled and did not get the change he needed. Finally, I won.

This was an absolutely great game. No way to tell how things were going to go throughout the entire game. I am going to change my rating on this game to a 10. Below is the final map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Bender
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Love those nail-biter games that turn shake into !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.