Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When a Gargoyle dies, it exhausts and sheds attachments. Does it shed runes? In other words, are runes a type of attachment? It seems like they should be considered as such (and we ruled that they were indeed attachments just to keep the game going), but I couldn't find actual rules support for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigtex01 wrote:
When a Gargoyle dies, it exhausts and sheds attachments. Does it shed runes? In other words, are runes a type of attachment? It seems like they should be considered as such (and we ruled that they were indeed attachments just to keep the game going), but I couldn't find actual rules support for this.

Runes are not attachments. Things that are attachments say so.

Quote:
It seems like they should be considered as such

Codex isn't really built this way. It seems to try and operate from a few simple principles, such as don't "read into" the rules...simply apply them as written. When that results in something counter-intuitive that makes you ask, "Really?!?", the answer is generally, as long as it's not literally game-breaking, "Yes." Not necessarily because every single counter-intuitive card interaction was lovingly handcrafted into the game, but because the designers seem ok with whacky interactions. As long as a) the game isn't literally broken (e.g. the interaction has some sort of counter or you can play around it) and b) it lets them keep the actual rules simple (well, as simple as possible).

The above is certainly conjecture on my part since I'm not a rules adjudicator, but that seems to be the pattern I've perceived.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So what happens with a Gargoyle that gets piled up with enough -1/-1 tokens to make its health 0 or less? Would it remain permanently exhausted since it can't actually die?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigtex01 wrote:
So what happens with a Gargoyle that gets piled up with enough -1/-1 tokens to make its health 0 or less? Would it remain permanently exhausted since it can't actually die?

So long as it's indestructible, yes. Same thing happens if you e.g. give a Hardened Mox a -1/-1. It stays in a permanently exhausted state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can find official rulings here, including that runes don't count as attachments for Indestructible:

http://codexcarddb.com/card/gargoyle

Quote:
Attachments are cards that attach to a unit or hero, like "Spirit of the Panda" or "Entangling Vines". Runes and other ongoing spells or effects are not attachments. — Sirlin

Also, I'd note that Gargoyle can't attack or patrol while it's indestructible, so it's pretty rare (but not impossible) that someone will kill it while it's indestructible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ah, great resource. Thanks for pointing it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Attachments are spells that say "attach to a [card type]". I think there's attachments for units and attachments for heroes. Spirit of the Panda and Final Showdown are examples of attachments. (Can you tell I've been playing mono-Green lately?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.