Subject: Campaign Extension Speculation (Wishful Thinking) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Clark
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
In order to extend the campaign of Kingdom Death properly, Poots likely wants to give us something that is just as big, or nearly as big as the core game itself. What's interesting, though, is that he's already teased us with something like this in the form of the Nightmare Ram expansion. What if that huge set is NOT an alternate campaign, but rather 'Lantern Festival' 2.0? I propose the following:

Kingdom Death: Nightmare
- Same huge box as KD:M (a dark burgundy color would be cool).
- 3 New Hunt Monsters (Frogdog, Nightmare Ram, and Gryphon)
These monsters already look scary enough to be considered successors to the phoenix, as quarries to be fought between LY 25 - 50.
- 3 New Nemesis (Pariah, The Scribe, and The King)
This is the suspicious part, since he only teased us with 'Pariah,' leaving a gap for the two miniatures from Lantern Festival.
- All new hunt events and settlement events (LY 25 - 50). Maybe, even, a new game board.
- New armor sets? Maybe not. This would be a GREAT time to give us the full spread of 'generic' hero classes instead (Dark Paladin, Thief, Necromancer, etc).

Unfortunately, due to the wording in Poot's letter, I doubt something like this will be part of KS2. He still considers most the player base far too short from LY 25. This would be for KS3 (not 4 years from now, but next year). He'll use KS2 to get new copies into the hands of the less fortunate, and give everyone enough time to get caught up with the current 11 expansions. He'll then have a full year to design 2.0 properly (and finish the rest of the hero classes).

What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay W
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This'd be a great way for things to pan out. All I'd say is that it is FORTUNATE that this is probably still a whole ' other KS away - my wallet and gaming time will need time to prepare for a brand new KDM (which I'll certainly buy)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Clark
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
I agree. I'm still behind on most of the expansions already out (paying, painting, AND playing). Any amount of waiting will give us more opportunity to get extra campaign variants up to LY 25, and ready for this, whenever it lands. And yes, more time to save money

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A burgundy box sounds dead sexy. So much so I find myself wanting to color my current box burgundy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay W
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A burgundy box would be boss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Butthole Hands
United States
Mercer Island
Wa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I definitely think it was implied that, while he doesn't think the idea of a campaign extension would be fun or an effective way of adding to the game, a Lantern Festival campaign is something he would like to do. Specifically, this:

To be a proper encore It would need to be more like a new core set, with the focus of the settlement shifted to be more macro, dealing with a developing town instead of a small settlement. Since that is not what was pitched, nor is it what we worked toward on its first development cycle, I am refunding everyone instead of releasing content I can’t stand behind. The realization of what this particular part of the Kingdom Death world needed to be, was simply to large in scope for the funds that were raised to create it.

This all but explicitly states that Lantern Festival would exist as a separate base game, and it's something they'll likely kickstart. I doubt they'll add anything so epic to this campaign. Poots sounds like he's gotten more aware of the dangers of over scoping a project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
jpancier wrote:
I definitely think it was implied that, while he doesn't think the idea of a campaign extension would be fun or an effective way of adding to the game, a Lantern Festival campaign is something he would like to do. Specifically, this:

To be a proper encore It would need to be more like a new core set, with the focus of the settlement shifted to be more macro, dealing with a developing town instead of a small settlement. Since that is not what was pitched, nor is it what we worked toward on its first development cycle, I am refunding everyone instead of releasing content I can’t stand behind. The realization of what this particular part of the Kingdom Death world needed to be, was simply to large in scope for the funds that were raised to create it.

This all but explicitly states that Lantern Festival would exist as a separate base game, and it's something they'll likely kickstart. I doubt they'll add anything so epic to this campaign. Poots sounds like he's gotten more aware of the dangers of over scoping a project.

I'd be happy with both ideas.
I disagree that a campaign extension wouldn't be fun. For me, at least, one of the most enticing things about sitting down to play KD is that there's always something I've yet to come across. I preserve this feeling by always leaving one or two expansions unplayed and untouched, I don't look at their cards and I don't open their books. I've gotten my ass kicked by the Watcher every time, never beat him, but I'd still like a campaign extension just to have something enticing me to keep fighting. KD isn't a game you rush to unlock everything, no! We're not teenagers frantically unlocking all the badges in the latest COD game. We're older guys and we've learned to savor and enjoy a good thing like KD.

I also do think that a major expansions does need to modify some of the core mechanics of the core game, just to keep things fresh... Perhaps, after defeating the Watcher, the survivors escape to found a new settlement, using different core game rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fwiw, Games Workshop's Mighty Empires melded macroscopic rules with individual battles for its Warhammer game line, which were kept as optional. Pretty impressive.

I read that Lanterns was also dropped because it extends a campaign that not many (?) players finished. Most boardgame expansions aren't meant to be played after the base game content is completed, although the PACG and Arkham Horror Card Game expansions are definitely exceptions. RPG adventures commonly had connected adventures that were meant to be played in a sequence (though designed that this wasn't required).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
msg tools
mb
I don't mind an expansion that extends the game at the end, even if I rarely get there.

Dragon king, sun stalker and lion God are all added late in the game. Heck it took me about 4 settlements before I even fought a Phoenix, and I've only fought the watcher once.

Sure you might not see late game/post gam monsters often, but they will stay fresher for longer. I have fought scores of Gorms, White lions and screaming antelopes. I know how to fight them. Adding late game monsters m and you don't get to learn how to fight them as much, adding to the suspense.

(And if Poots does release post watcher campaigns, then I will probably save the settlement after the watcher fight and start from there when they die out)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
TR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But I can see the problem nonetheless.
Basically, an expansion after LY25 means that you have to play 50-70 hours BEFORE you can see the first change

And, of course, not all settlements come out perfectly fine after a fight with the Watcher (I mock it a lot because it's the only core nemesis I beat on THE FIRST TRY (except surviving The Hand, but that is an entirely different matter), but I have to say that having Founding Stones handy on LY20 is easy mode).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.