Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4 Gods Rules Variant

Overview:

This is a home brew rules variant for the game 4 Gods by Asmodee. These rules are my sole creation and in no way official or endorsed by Asmodee. Some people (myself included) do not like the real time aspect of the rules. I have modified the rules to make them turn based without a timer. Instead players will get to use two actions on their turn. Actions have been slightly modified and are explained below.

I don’t usually do home brew variants but I like this game just not the real time aspect and it seemed easy enough to modify. So please comment below with any questions, critiques (be kind!) or ideas for improvement – especially wording that might make things more clear.

Setup Modification:

Each player draws 4 tiles. The player decided which two tiles are placed in your discard row and the other two will form your starting hand.

Rules changed:

The concept of performing actions based on 1 or more of your actual hands being free is removed to reduce confusion. I removed the real time aspect of the game and to make it easier for people who have dexterity issues with their hands. Instead the term hand is figurative like in many card and board game. Players have a hand size of up to two tiles. The hand is not literally in your hands and tiles in your hand may be placed in front of you in the table but in such a way to distinguish them from other tiles in your discard row. These tiles do not need to be in your actual hands as such when the rules in the rule book refer to having one or more of your hands free assume they mean your hand size is 1 or 0. I have tried to make the necessary clarifications in these rules.

You may look at both sides of tiles in your hand. When playing a tile on the board, you may place it using either side face up.

Tiles in your discard row are placed with one side facing up. You may not look at the bottom of a tile in either your or an opponent’s discard row without flipping it which costs an action (see below).

Each player gets up to two actions on their turn. Actions are outlined below. Once you complete your action, turn passes to the next player.

Actions:

• Place a tile from your hand on the board with either side up. You may freely look at both tile sides in your hand. You may freely place tiles with either side face up on the board from your hand. Tiles placed must follow the tile placement rules in the book. Tiles that destroy a legendary city still take 1 action and follow all the normal rules for destroying a legendary city. . On each player’s first turn, players may only place one tile on the board from either their hand or their discard row. After each player takes their first turn this restriction is lifted.
• Place a tile in your discard row on the board. Tiles placed must follow the tile placement rules in the book except that tiles placed from the discard row must be placed so the side facing up in the discard row is the same side that is face up when placed on the board. Tiles placed that destroy a legendary city still take 1 action and follow all the normal rules for destroying a legendary city. You may not place a tile on the board from an opponent’s discard row.
• Place a tile in your discard row. Follow the rules for this as outlined in the rulebook.
• Draw a tile from the bag and place it in your hand. Your hand size must be 0 to do this. You may not draw a tile from the bag if your discard row is full.
• Flip a tile in your discard row. Ignore the stipulation one of your hands must be free. Your hand size is irrelevant to be able to perform this action.
• Flip a tile in your opponent’s discard row. Ignore the stipulation one of your hands must be free. Your hand size is irrelevant to be able to perform this action.
• Move a tile from an opponent’s discard row to your discard row. Ignore the stipulation one of your hands must be free. Your hand size is irrelevant to be able to perform this action.
• Draw a tile from your discard row into your hand. Your hand size must be 0 or 1 to do this.
• Place a prophet. Move (migrate) a prophet if your prophet reserve is empty.
• Select a god card (if using visible god’s option).
• Place a legendary city. (This counts as two actions – one to draw the city one to place. You may not draw a Legendary city and keep it in your hand, you must place it)

Variants (of the Variant):

If players are taking too long on their turn you can still use the timer. Players still get 2 actions but they only have 30 seconds to decide their actions. Useful if players have AP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonso Velasco
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the game yet and I not sure if just 2 actions per turn are too weak? How many actions usually do the players in 30 sec?
Maybe the action "flip in the opponent discard row" is too weak?
Anyone I think the only mode i would play this game is in turn based mode

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When I read the rules, I thought there was no reason for this not to be a regular turn-based game. The real-time mechanic seemed forced and gimmicky. It works, for example, in Galaxy Trucker because the real action happens on the individual player boards. But four pair of hands moving frantically over a central board and getting in the way of each other is not my idea of fun. Using the timer sounds better, but I don't see the point in setting an arbitrary time limit. Action points are the obvious solution. (I agree with the previous poster that two are probably too few, but I haven't played the game, either.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boelinger
France
Nice
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
When I read the rules, I thought there was no reason for this not to be a regular turn-based game. The real-time mechanic seemed forced and gimmicky. It works, for example, in Galaxy Trucker because the real action happens on the individual player boards. But four pair of hands moving frantically over a central board and getting in the way of each other is not my idea of fun. Using the timer sounds better, but I don't see the point in setting an arbitrary time limit. Action points are the obvious solution. (I agree with the previous poster that two are probably too few, but I haven't played the game, either.)

Have you seen the game played real time by 2, 3 or 4 players ?
Do you still think it is totally chaotic and hard to play ?
It's a common point to almost everybody that when the rules are explained they think that it's gonna be messy and chaotic and then, when they play, they realize 99% of the time that it is not. It is more quiet than they thought, although it is speedy...
You can only get the true feeling of this game by playing it, for sure.
Now of course, real time play and pressure is not made for everybody, some people really can't cope with it and want to have all their time to think their strategy, often leading to what everybody calls Analysis Paralysis...
Well at least this game will NEVER put you into an Analysis Paralysis situation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boelinger
France
Nice
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
@Chris: and by the way, thanks a lot for this variant which can be a good fit for some players.
Very nice initiative.
Of course it goes mainly against the first objectives of the game, so i could have never found this type of variant. So I'm glad you did came up with it
So thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your reply, Chris! I have only seen the game being played in a video, and it did look a bit hectic to me. But I will give it a try if the opportunity arises, and that shouldn't be too difficult, since the game is being released in Brazil.

However, another concern of mine is the slight "dexterity" aspect of the game, in reaching out to the board. I imagine playing this at a large table with a group of obese people will be problematic. When I play Carcassonne with my Mom, for example, she often asks me to place a tile for her where she can't reach. With 4 Gods in simultaneous mode, I couldn't just stop to do that, and even in timed mode she would be at a disadvantage, as time would be wasted while I'd figure out where exactly the tiles were to be placed. I'm not saying this is a flaw of the game, and I understand no game is for everyone, but otherwise it looked interesting and I'm worried I'd only be able to play it in public events (not at home with my usual group and my family).

By the way, I still feel a bit sad for not having been able to play the prototype of Living Planet when we briefly met here in Rio. Not wanting to derail the thread, but are there any news you can share? Mars seems to be a popular theme right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
there is no dextarity element in the game lol.......
no flicking, no stacking nothing what so ever.
And about the real time element it is nothing compared with other real time games that are timed...

The game play's fine just the way it is. We play with 3 ppl with no problem at all.

I think galaxy truckers is more hectic and more stressed then this is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan How
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
Do you know about Counter magazine? Geekmail me for more details
mbmbmbmbmb
I was taught by Chris in Essen and capitivated by the game. (I had already bought it, but if not I would have done so immediately.) We were told that our game lasted longer than most (30 minutes for our game) but after the initial rush for tiles, the game slows down, then stops, then speeds up and then goes at a slower pace as you contemplate rather than rush.

It was a very enjoyable experience and one I have repeated since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wolverine1977 wrote:

Maybe I should have written it in quotes (fixed), but I clearly explained, right after, that it was the reaching out to the center of the table. And then I described my concern in detail with an example. I thought any idiot could understand that, but I was obviously wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wolverine1977 wrote:

I think galaxy truckers is more hectic and more stressed then this is.

Galaxy Trucker certainly has a big dexterity element. If you can manipulate the pieces faster it makes a big difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys thanks for the feedback on my alternate rules and especially not trashing me. This was my first attempt at doing something like this. Feel free to try it with more actions per turn.

I enjoy the game as is but for some reasons I just saw another way to play the game without the "real time" aspect. So I wrote these alternative rules which is not something I normally do.

Reaching across the table to place pieces can be problematic depending on your table size or other "dexterity" issues which is another reason I gave it a shot.

It's great that this game does something different than most other games by having that real time aspect. But I think some of us are so used to the "one person at a time" style of game turns that I thought I would chuck in my two sense.

Please be nice and respect everyone's view points. Every one has different challenges when playing games that we might not think of so there is no need to be harsh with people for sharing their opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boelinger
France
Nice
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:

By the way, I still feel a bit sad for not having been able to play the prototype of Living Planet when we briefly met here in Rio. Not wanting to derail the thread, but are there any news you can share? Mars seems to be a popular theme right now.

The game should be released by a new french company called Lumberjack in 2017. So don't feel sorry, you will still get your chance at it
The game has quite evolved since I brought it to Brazil, in a good way of course. A lot more control, a lot less random
It should have beautiful artwork by a renown french artist who already worked on very famous games.
That's all I can say so far...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
wolverine1977 wrote:

Maybe I should have written it in quotes, but I clearly explained, right after, that it was the reaching out to the center of the table. And then I described my concern in detail with an example. I thought any idiot could understand that, but I was obviously wrong.

idiot ? That really nice of you, you must be so proud for knowing that word and using it on a comment pointing out there is no dexterity.

It's idiot to call reaching to the table dextarity...So deckbuilders are also dexterity games ? Or maybe workerplacement games, trying to put your worker on the right spot.

See it's easy to make fun of ppl... i guess any idiot (accordingly to you) can do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't play the victim, dude. You started it with your "lol" comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Don't play the victim, dude. You started it with your "lol" comment.

No your right my post used offencive language towards you... so you had every reason to call me an idiot.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.