Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Gilbertson
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
... a question to those here and everywhere, who make excuses for and condone any form of deception, i.e. "soft lying": If you know that something is wrong and do nothing about it, is that still considered "a sin" in our current world? Is it even "wrong" anymore? Has it become "unreasonable" to ask why anyone would have anything to do with a person or company (Kickstarter?) that in essence has a disclaimer "we may or may not do what we say, we may or may not deliver what we promise to deliver, but don't worry, other than not getting what you paid for and were led to believe you were getting, it's a pretty good deal right, a pretty fun game, isn't it? In my 55 years of walking around on this space rock we call Earth, this has been the universally accepted definition of a "rip-off".

OK all of you Kickstarter apologists out there, how about agreeing to this "fair" deal between backers and sellers on Kickstarter before we decide to back or deliver any more Kickstarter projects from now on:

"We, the game designers/developers of Kickstarter, solemnly guarantee upon our word as people of integrity, that we will deliver what our campaign promises to deliver; [disclaimer: However, maybe and quite likely we won't, at least not up to the expectations we delivered in our campaign to sell you our project; and absolutely we will never tell you, the backers of our project, in advance, even when we know in advance of delivery, that we won't be fulfilling all of our promises (exact number to be determined); nor will we allow you the opportunity to accept or back out of our project, as you may decide is best for yourself, based on our neglect, inability, or unwillingness to deliver our project as we represented it to you, the backers of that project]."

"I, as backer of your project, promise to PAY you, the designers/developers, in full, for what you represent your project to be; [disclaimer: However, I may or may not pay you, depending upon whether or not I can convince myself that I'll be happy and satisfied with how closely what ends up in a box on my porch after many long months of patient anticipation actually resembles what I was led to believe it would by the designers/developers of the project]."

Graham Chapman said as King Arthur in Monty Python and the Holy Grail: "On second thought , let’s not go to Camelot. ‘Tis a silly place." Kickstarter now to me is Camelot, and we all get to decide whether to go there or to avoid it, using the knowledge and experience we have of the place. I'll not be going to Camelot or to Kickstarter any time soon,,,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are being a little melodramatic.

The publishers, in this case, should have been up front when they realized they wouldn't be able to fulfill one of the stretch goals. But this wasn't some scheme they planned to rip backers off - they just made a mistake. Their most serious error was in not communicating that immediately. I don't think it justifies the level of outrage you are trying to generate. (I am betting that an email to the publisher saying "Hey, I really wanted those linen cards and I am disappointed that you failed to deliver those - I would like my money back" would have gotten you a refund.) Nor does it justify treating Kickstarter in general as a snakepit.

If you've had this kind of thing happen to you repeatedly, then I can understand why you won't back any more Kickstarters, but I'll repeat what I said in the other thread, that you've either had extraordinary bad luck or have not exercised much judgment about what projects you back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Begy
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
I study games and gamers at the Technoculture, Art and Games research centre at Concordia University, Montreal.
badge
I hate bowling. It's just multiplayer solitaire.
mbmbmbmbmb
AmadanNaBriona wrote:

The publishers, in this case, should have been up front when they realized they wouldn't be able to fulfill one of the stretch goals. But this wasn't some scheme they planned to rip backers off - they just made a mistake. Their most serious error was in not communicating that immediately. I don't think it justifies the level of outrage you are trying to generate. (I am betting that an email to the publisher saying "Hey, I really wanted those linen cards and I am disappointed that you failed to deliver those - I would like my money back" would have gotten you a refund.) Nor does it justify treating Kickstarter in general as a snakepit.

If you've had this kind of thing happen to you repeatedly, then I can understand why you won't back any more Kickstarters, but I'll repeat what I said in the other thread, that you've either had extraordinary bad luck or have not exercised much judgment about what projects you back.

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
I agree that they should have been more upfront about the mistake but I wouldn't call it a rip-off. The lack of a linen finish doesn't affect how the game plays. We are getting a good game at a great price way before most other people. Kickstarter isn't an online store. It's an opportunity to invest in a project.

I learned the hard way not to back high dollar projects simply because there are too many unknowns. I wasn't "ripped off", the product just didn't meet my expectations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AmadanNaBriona wrote:

Replace "little" with "very".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't blame Kickstarter for things like this, I blame whoever was in charge of a specific campaign. So if it becomes an "unacceptable" situation and nothing is done about it to my liking, I will be done with the person/publisher that is running the campaign (this will extend to non Kickstarter projects as well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering I have no idea what you're talking about (the linen finish somebody else mentioned, that I didn't even know the game was supposed to have?), I'm thinking this is not that big of a deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ugur Dönmez
Netherlands
Hoofddorp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
AmadanNaBriona wrote:

Replace "little" with "very".

"I think you are being a very melodramatic" ...what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.