$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 88.48

5,794 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
36.5% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

Phil K
msg tools
I just played my first full conquest of mage knight with my gf last night and it took literally 9 hours. I loved the game and it was fun.. for me at least (although I do admit it is too long for regular play.)This is the longest I ever played a board game.... longer than twilight imperium... pretty worn out... does full conquest normally take this long?

Anyways one problem was that I attacked my gf immediately as we left the beginning portal to get to the mage tower nearby and that completely disabled her for the whole game (which took too long too) and she had less fun because of it. Also my competitive skill (blood ritual) kept giving her wound cards which I got the first round that gave her 5 or 6 wound cards throughout the whole game. I was winning but she was just struggling to get anywhere.

I was just wondering, is it better to just not do pvp? maybe it would be better to also just use the co-op skills (from Lost legion) and apply the solo rules for those skills during competitive play so that I can still use those really helpful skills, but I just won't hurt the other player as much? Would this hurt the game's balance at all? Any input on how to make the game experience better for all players? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played that long, this seems strange

Also if one player in a 2 player game gets attackted early it makes sense to just stop the Game and Start over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The competitive game is plenty fun even without PvP. You can hurt someone's progress pretty badly just by lunging in and taking the adventure site they want (at first I thought that's what you were talking about!), so you do need to have an eye on your opponent most of the time. I also like your idea of using the coop/solo skills instead of the attacky ones. I think the game balance should be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil K
msg tools
Ok thanks! I may try out the co-op skills in a competitive game then and in terms of PvP, I probably won't lunge in and attack on the first round anymore. Or just make a rule that you can't PvP on the first round or something. After that, a person would be more prepared to deal with anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PvP really adds to the 2-player game but you should know the game well before introducing it. I'd definitely suggest you leave it out of your first few games. Also, if someone gets way behind in a 2-player game you should just resign and start over, rather than forcing them to keep playing in a hopeless position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drunk Celt
United States
California
flag msg tools
Yeah my friend and I decided to hold off on PVP rules because I read somewhere it adds more complexity to the game and I figured it'd be better for us to just learn basics. So PVP is definitely optional.

Isn't there a coop conquest scenario in the rules book? I believe it suggests which cards to remove and such?

And to be honest we have been playing without the dummy player to give us time to learn the game without pressure. We agreed last night our next session we will go ahead and start using the dummy player. That was after about five games, I believe.

As for time length - as you become more familiar and experienced, time amount it takes for you to play should go down. Furthermore there's blitz version of coop conquest in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil K
msg tools
Ya haha next time I definitely plan on doing good the blitz version. At least until we have really mastered the game. We like doing competitive but just not when it is Soooooo one sided of course. May try Co op after blitz though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max M.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
9 hours?! That seems to be a really long time, we average 3 hours and we both like to think a lot about moves.

Anyway like others said I suggest you to add PVP only after you feel confortable with all the basic rules.

9 hours is really a long time, I don't think I would enjoy a game that long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first full conquest game took 6-7 hours (solo). The second took about 5 hours, and every game since took 3-4 hours.

Regarding the PvP aspect:
Note, that you can also play the scenarios competetively without allowing attacks against players. Generally, I prefer co-op, though.

I don't quite understand, though, how it had such a lasting effect in your game. Unless you can steal an artifact, it shouldn't have much impact. I suspect that your competitive skill was the bigger problem.

As for how clever it was to attack your girl-friend in that way, I prefer not to comment on it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil K
msg tools
Well she is also competitive so she wasn't mad I did that lol. It's just she was ready to conquer. Mage tower and I attacked her to stop her from getting it. She used her good cards to block the attack and then her next hand was really bad so she gave up attacking it. She did not attack anything for while because I ended up taking a lot of sites while she just tried to move on. Probably how she played afterwards and how my skill kept giving her wounds that stopped her tempo.

The game also took that long probably because I overthink every move and had to look things up frequently. There are a lot of small details and exceptions that are hard to pin down. I think we both would have enjoyed it more if we knew everything and it went along more efficiently. I still liked it regardless though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.