Subject: Crimea + Patriotic is pretty much impossible to beat. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Holden Kim
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools

My friend got this combo and the game was pretty much over in 20 minutes.

He got this first star from getting all his workers out, and traded for all his oil to upgrade and get all the enlists out quickly.

His popularity was in the 2nd tier and the guy had a ton of money.

I (Nordic) had 0 stars out and my friend (Polania) only had 2, while Crimea had 4 with being able to get 2 stars out on his next turn.

You guys ever run into this strategy? If so, what did you do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What were you guys doing while he was taking all those actions? In order to get all his workers out, he would need to pay popularity. Plus I don't understand how he could find enough money to trade for all that oil, enough food for all the enlists while still maintaining 2nd tier popularity and you still had no stars. I think maybe he is just better at the game than you (or cheating ), I don't think the player boards had much to do with it. You should try playing again with the same boards but switch positions. You take Crimea and Patriotic while he takes Polania and the other person takes Nordic. See what the scores are. I would bet that the winner of the previous game would still beat you.

Given that you had zero stars you need to increase your focus. It suggests that you were doing a little bit of everything instead of focusing on a few stars at the beginning. Nordic has a great advantage with its ability to move workers over rivers right from the start of the game. This allows you access to pretty much any resource. If you focus your early efforts, instead of chipping away at every star a little at a time, you should be able to keep up with Crimea.

Also, were you playing Riverwalk correctly and did Crimea limit themselves to spending one combat card per turn as a resource?

Plus if a player is getting too far ahead, that's what combat is for, to slow them down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds a bit fishy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mus Rattus
msg tools
Crimea + Patriotic is a strong combination.
Crimea does really well with the combat cards received from enlisting the Enlist action. Trading for oil and stretching that oil out using combat cards is also a good strategy for Crimea.
IIRC (and if I'm not confusing Patriotic with Agricultural), fully upgraded Enlist can be performed by spending a combat card, which then pays out a combat card and coins.

But when I say that it's a strong combination, I should say that it is strong in (comparatively) obvious ways.
Other combinations are also strong. The strategy described above doesn't leave much time for claiming territory and could lose out on points that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider Patriotic Crimea the strongest combination I've yet seen in play. It doesn't require controlling a lot of areas, turtling will work fine. It's easy to hoard gold and combat cards, and Crimea's ability can be used almost every turn, resulting in a big advantage in the long run.

I don't see them winning a game in 20 minutes, though. Imho, their best strategy is the opposite of a rush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many turns did the game last?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SergioAlonso wrote:
otha62 wrote:
How many turns did the game last?

I wrote a step by step guide on how you can finish the game in 17 turns using Patriotic Crimea:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1u_Gxp6lsur49VwzFw_o1...

Interesting analysis, but it does assume that no-one else attacks you or limits your movement in any way. If the other players are smart they will force you to stray from this path at least a little by forcing you to spend power.

You are also assuming that 6 stars equals a win, which is very far from true. In our games so far (26 of them) many of the games have not been won by the person who places their 6th star first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.