Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Whitehouse
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few of our normal crew were playing Hanabi Saturday night (what else would you do on a Saturday night?) and I told them I had been toying with a double deck variant. They were game, we had two decks, so it was on!

We love rainbow, so we included it (all 10 cards), so a 120 card deck!

There were four of us, and we decided to use 4 cards drawn per player. It seemed like it would be more difficult, so we elected for 9 clue tokens instead of 8.

We would be trying to complete 12 distinct piles. However, if two blue "ones" were out, and someone played a blue two, it could go on either pile.

I must say, we had a blast, and it felt really epic. It was harder to "kill" a card (four threes in the deck instead of two), but it was also harder to make deductions based on what was out and what was left. Fives became a bit more precious and harder to play.

We played twice and got two "60's". This might suggest it needs some tweaking to make it more difficult. Although we have a very experienced group and pulled off a few fancy moves (finesse, etc.)

I definitely want to play this again. In fact, we joked it would be hard to go back to "normal" hanabi after this.

There was a conversation afterwards that it needs to be more difficult. I think next time we will only include 6 rainbows from each deck (12 total) to accomplish that. It's also possible 8 clues is enough instead of nine.
Lastly, we considered only 5 copies of the ones instead of six. (But I think we'll be dropping rainbows down first)

If anyone else tries this, I would be interested in their experience and thoughts. I'm a huge Hanabi fan, and thought it was a lot of fun. Everyone commented how it was refreshing in how it forced us to think in different ways than our usual game.

Cheers,

David W.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sounds really nice. I would try if I had an opportunity.

Removing 1 card of each (except for 5s) would sound good to make it reasonably hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Mason
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking the same thing. the second deck should have 2 ones 1 two, three, four, and fives... That might be tricky enough. As it was We got 60 twice... It was a little too easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.