Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Glazier
United States
Brentwood (not the OJ one)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have pledged into the Kickstarter, but I'm considering purchasing a couple of the add-on character packs.

Before I do, though, I'm curious how well this game plays as a solo game? I'm sure I'll get some multiplayer games in with my family and friends, but I'm really interested in the solo aspect.

Thanks!-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also looking at it from a mostly solo angle.
I figure since its an open world game, it would be easy enough to create solo heavy tasks. If it has a proper backing then more stuff will be released. Which will only make it better. I trust that the creators are inventive and creative people so the encounters and cards will be interesting and fun. I added on to get a few of the characters packs. I have No need to Catch'em All!!! If I like it I'll buy more stuff later.
The newest stretch goal is great as it adds a new element to the game.
[I don't thing I really answered any of your questions, just wanted to share what I think is a similar frame of mind.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Runebound almost exclusively solo. Since this is essentially that game with some added attribute checks and a few other tweaks, it seems very solo-able to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Radey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Have you checked out the gameplay videos in the updates on the KS? That is essentially a solo game, although I am running 2 adventurers at once.
I love games that are playable solo or 2-player because they allow my girlfriend & I to play games whenever it strikes our fancy without having to plan ahead & hope a friend is available. So, that was one of my goals in designing Dungeon Degenerates. It works great solo, whether you want to run multiple adventurers or not.

Running only 1 adventurer can be a bit more challenging since you don't get to take advantage of the broader skill sets, combos, etc. - having backup in a fight can be important! However, difficulty is easily adjusted in this game if you find yourself getting stomped consistently.

@Paul - There are a ton of differences between Dungeon Degenerates & Runebound.. but in a broad sense I suppose you could say the format is the same in that you are wandering the countryside slaying monsters & collecting loot.
TBH I've only played Runebound a handful of times & I was utterly underwhelmed by it as a game - I traded it to a friend for tattoo work without hesitation. It honestly wasn't an influence on my game design ideas at all. You can check out my collection on here to see the games I like a lot! Steve Jackson's Sorcery!/Fighting Fantasy, Eldritch Horror/Arkham Horror, & Talisman/Relic are definitely Influences on this game, among other things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hell ORC
France
Marseille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cultofmars wrote:

I love games that are playable solo or 2-player because they allow my girlfriend & I to play games whenever it strikes our fancy without having to plan ahead & hope a friend is available. So, that was one of my goals in designing Dungeon Degenerates. It works great solo, whether you want to run multiple adventurers or not.

Steve Jackson's Sorcery!/Fighting Fantasy, Eldritch Horror/Arkham Horror, & Talisman/Relic are definitely Influences on this game, among other things.

Ok. Now I WANT this game.
No, I lied. I already wanted it as soon as I glimpsed the art.
Now I only want it MORE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Glazier
United States
Brentwood (not the OJ one)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the response, Eric. Could you please give us an example of how the difficulty can be adjusted, as you mentioned?

Are there rules for this, or are you just talking about making up your own house rules if you find the game too difficult?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.